The Freightliner Guy

Mystery rj

WHGuy413

I would definitely try to stick with the engine that’s on it. Yeah it’s not correct but it fits and you already have it. Adding the atc70 engine may take a lot of modifications. Fixing the recoil is fairly easy. I’m guessing either the spring is broke or it just needs to be rewound to put more tension on it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

Also there is no way I’m going to ever drive it with the current  transmission pulley do you guys know where I could find the exact one? Thanks.

Kollin:D

Edited by The Freightliner Guy
Misspelled
  • Like 1

953 nut
17 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

Also there is no way I’m going to ever drive it with the current  transmission pulley do you guys know where I could find the exact one? Thanks.

Kollin:D

Surplus Center has a good variety of pulleys at reasonable prices. The ones you buy at the local hardware store are cast aluminum and are not suitable for this application. The ones at SC are cast Iron and will do the job. This may sound confusing but they are an A/B pulley and the outside diameter is for a "B" (5/8") belt. Give us the shaft size and outside diameter of the ones you need and we can look them up for you. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Pulleys-V-Belts/Finished-Bore-Pulleys/?page_no=1&fq=ATR_Grooves:1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Recoils and pulleys are easy fixes. See if you are getting spark, then go from there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy
On 11/20/2022 at 5:35 AM, 953 nut said:

Surplus Center has a good variety of pulleys at reasonable prices. The ones you buy at the local hardware store are cast aluminum and are not suitable for this application. The ones at SC are cast Iron and will do the job. This may sound confusing but they are an A/B pulley and the outside diameter is for a "B" (5/8") belt. Give us the shaft size and outside diameter of the ones you need and we can look them up for you. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Pulleys-V-Belts/Finished-Bore-Pulleys/?page_no=1&fq=ATR_Grooves:1

hello guys another update on Reese so on Christmas eve i'm going to my grandparents and i might be able to take the engine home if not ill take pictures and measurements and some people have told me the pulley size is this. diameter of 4 3/4 shaft and a 3/16 keyway.

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy

D_Mac

Seems to be what you are looking for. That fits the dimensions you described. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

Ok I’m at my grandparents house and I’m going to try and take the engine out of Reese the rj 

• Like 3

The Freightliner Guy

hopefully i get the engine for my birthday! so i can fix it also i already have rims and tres for it ready.

Kollin :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHGuy413
On 2/10/2023 at 1:52 PM, The Freightliner Guy said:

hopefully i get the engine for my birthday! so i can fix it also i already have rims and tres for it ready.

Kollin :)

Glad you are making some progress. I hope you keep us posted.

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

good news my grandparents dropped off the briggs a bit ago and its in the basement now but the only bad thing is i snapped one of the bots on the shroud and i feel like i wil end up snapping the two on the bottom any ideas on what to do 

• Sad 1

ineedanother
5 minutes ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

good news my grandparents dropped off the briggs a bit ago and its in the basement now but the only bad thing is i snapped one of the bots on the shroud and i feel like i wil end up snapping the two on the bottom any ideas on what to do 

Good to hear. You've got work to do! Patience though grasshopper :D Lots of blaster or something similar for a while. Tighten a fraction, loosen a fraction, and repeat. If they don't move, they're doing what mother nature intended them to do...but they will likely begin to budge in time. It will probably take days.

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy

like maybe WD i already sprayed some on it a bit ago

• Like 1

ineedanother
16 minutes ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

like maybe WD i already sprayed some on it a bit ago

Yep. Spray every screw and bolt while it's there with you. Do that a few times a day and most of it will come apart. You might lose some and have to address those, but you should be able to save a bunch of hassles if you're patient and back the screws and bolt out without breaking them.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

i pulled the tank off and man its brand new has stick in it and everything i pulled the carb off brand new bunch of orange and green dust on it the tank has some metal flacks and what looks to be decomposed acorns the bottom is flaking rust im sure thats factory lol its pretty rough to say the least

• Like 1

ineedanother

Just set each piece aside in an organized way and deal with them one by one. You might be surprised what you can restore from old machines. Patience...and take pictures as you take it apart so you know where things go during reassembly. :thumbs:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

As you take it apart you might want to put bolts, nuts back into holes or pieces they came from. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

well i found a pulley extractor and i removed the pulley from the briggs and put it on the predator i didnt fully put in just in case we need to move it so itll be inline with the transmission pulley when we mount the engine...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

The Freightliner Guy

• Excellent 7

Pullstart

Great progress!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy
Just now, Pullstart said:

Great progress!

i also had to buy washers but i lost one snap ring for the other side so i need to get another my dad said we should maybe drill a hole in the shaft and have a cotter pin instead what do you think

• Like 1

Pullstart
Just now, The Freightliner Guy said:

i also had to buy washers but i lost one snap ring for the other side so i need to get another my dad said we should maybe drill a hole in the shaft and have a cotter pin instead what do you think

The c-clip would have more surface area to hold the wheel (or spacers) on.  A cotter key would be able to shear off, given enough side load,  it I have seen some that way with mixed results.  I’ve lost a front wheel from a pin before.  Even mowing or doing chores, loosing a front wheel isn’t fun.

• Like 5

D_Mac

I agree with @Pullstart. I would put a washer on the end with a c-clip. Keep up the good work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

ok so... ive decide i am not gonna use the 212 to much work id need to make a custom throttle cable and find a tank so imma fix the briggs. it needs a head gasket and a coil and some other things i have rocks and screws in the tank to knock out all the crap so hopefully ill get it to work i have noticed. well my dad noticed it has vertical scars but it should still work. but if the briggs doesnt work out i might try the 212 again. ok nvm i showed dad the briggs carb he said its pretty bad its all rust and corroded and prob not fixable he says so 212 it is! idk how ill be able to have a throttle cable that still bolts to the hood

• Like 1

WHGuy413
On 7/29/2023 at 12:41 PM, The Freightliner Guy said:

ok so... ive decide i am not gonna use the 212 to much work id need to make a custom throttle cable and find a tank so imma fix the briggs. it needs a head gasket and a coil and some other things i have rocks and screws in the tank to knock out all the crap so hopefully ill get it to work i have noticed. well my dad noticed it has vertical scars but it should still work. but if the briggs doesnt work out i might try the 212 again. ok nvm i showed dad the briggs carb he said its pretty bad its all rust and corroded and prob not fixable he says so 212 it is! idk how ill be able to have a throttle cable that still bolts to the hood

Where there’s a will there’s a way. The way your hood is cut you may be able to just use the stock throttle temporarily til you come up with a way for the throttle to be on the hood. 

i haven’t been on in a while and just saw your video. It definitely will make you a great tractor. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1