Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

RV Black Water And Grey Water Tank Question!

HorseFixer

Hey You RV GURUS, Nothing tisses me off more than things that dont give the right readings. Last year when I got my RV I noticed that even tho that both the black and grey water tanks are empty they show that they are 1/3 to 2/3rds full! :thumbs2: I have tried filling them and dumping but thats not helping. Ive also added that (SNAKE OIL) flush chit in the tank but that doesn't help either. I suppose those sensors work off of conductivity so what would you guys reccomend? Would like to get them reading accurate.

Thanks Duke

Suburban 550

Butch, never seen a man with so many problems. :thumbs: Seems like you have the best solution to the problem. :thumbs2: I'm back. :ychain:

TJ

I would always maintain them at 1/3 to 2/3rds full. You could do this by marking a dipstick, and with constant monitoring, ensure that the gauges are always correct. :thumbs:

I hope this helps. :thumbs2:

Tom

Butch

Butch, never seen a man with so many problems. :ychain: Seems like you have the best solution to the problem. :thumbs2:

I've seen those Newell motor coaches at RV shows. They were luxurious but gaudy.

They appeal more to the people who like polo shirts with their names embroidered on them. :thumbs: :ROTF:

Butch

I would always maintain them at 1/3 to 2/3rds full. You could do this by marking a dipstick, and with constant monitoring, ensure that the gauges are always correct. :thumbs2:

Tom

My RV was about 5 years old when I bought it. I didn't have gauges. Instead mine had lights for keeping track of the tanks. When the lights were off it indicated empty tanks. Then lite number 1 indicated 1/4 full up to lite 4 which indicated

full. So they're not as accurate as a gauge would be and I don't know if the sensors would be the same. They seemed to work well for what accuracy they did have. As I recall when you flushed the toilet you could see right down into the black tank and actually see how full it was. When we went to campgrounds with

sewer hookups I stayed self-contained the first couple times to get an idea how long we could go self-contained. Although we always had our kids with us I would say we could go a week with just my wife and I alone. Those 4 or 5 gallon hot water heaters made for quick showers! In fact it was get wet, turn water off, lather up, turn water on and rinse. The toilets used very little water and sinks had low pressure to keep usage down.

But I too am a stickler for things working. Knowing Duke we're probably in for one of his well informed stories about his tank/gauge overhaul supplied with many educational photos and what mistakes the engineers made in the design!! :thumbs:

nylyon

This is a common problem which can be fixed sometimes. Before your next trip, pour some Borax, a couple gallons of water and a bag or 2 of ice into the tank. The sloshing around may help dislodge the contaminates around the sensor pins. This sometimes works.

I would then recommend Tornado Tank Flush which will help prevent the problem from reoccuring. I put one on mine when new, much easier to install then :thumbs2:

Duff

Gosh, guys, reading through all of these posts and not being an RV'er myself, all I can think of is.....

CHIT HAPPENS!!!!! :thumbs2:

Duff :thumbs:

(PS - Good to see you back up on the board, Coach!)

handyman

Try searching for an online forum for RVs. When I had one several years ago, just like this site, online resources are very helpful and very informative. I have heard about the ice cube trick several places. Also, the link to the tank jet is a good one. I installed a similar product on both our gray and black tank. I was amazed at how much more gunk came out of both tanks after they were installed. Try to figure out the vendor for your gauge set and get the specs for it.

nylyon