Sign in to follow this  
wallfish

Leather boot

wallfish

Would anyone have an idea when Wheel Horse stopped using the leather boots? Were these only used on the early 58s?

Pic of original

leatherboot.jpg

My reproduction

newboot.jpg

HorseFixer

John, Good Question! :thumbs: So far with all the Roundies I have came accross haven't had a leather boot in the bunch. :thumbs2: Maybe the foul weather in these parts eat em up :ychain: I will tell ya this tho, on my 56RJ's they had leather seals around the axels so I would say I bet late 50's the leather went bye bye. But Im juust speculating.

WheelHorse_of_course

Grandpop's 550 had a rubber boot from the day he got it

:thumbs2:

JimD

the 753 in my avatar originally had a leather boot, in very rough shape. i used a rubber one on it when i cleaned it up.

wh500special

Although I guess anything is possible, it has been assumed over the last decade or so by WH collectors that only the very early 1958 RJ-58's had the leather boot. They soon switched to rubber and everything I have ever seen from the post 1958 era has the same rubber boot...or at least evidence of having a rubber boot at one time.

That jalopy with the leather boot in your pictures is actually my tractor now (thanks Kevin!). Your repro boot looks nice btw :thumbs2: . Also notice the unique rear hubs that also were on the early 58's...

Steve

Coadster32

Hey, that repo boot looks familiar. Where have I seen that before? :thumbs2:

What's the pressure gauge on top of the tranny for? I could think of a few wise cracks, but I won't say. :thumbs:

wh500special

What's the pressure gauge on top of the tranny for?

I think a previous owner didn't have the right size pipe plug so substituted the gage instead.

Either that or he had serious issues with pressure building up in his rear end :thumbs2: ...

Steve

JimD

Although I guess anything is possible, it has been assumed over the last decade or so by WH collectors that only the very early 1958 RJ-58's had the leather boot. They soon switched to rubber and everything I have ever seen from the post 1958 era has the same rubber boot...or at least evidence of having a rubber boot at one time.

what i should have said was that the 753 had a leather boot when I got it. it did look crude, as in home made, after looking closer at the pics of the original and the reproduction. nice job on that by the way!! it's always a good thing to get accurate information, so thanks. :thumbs2:

fireman

Hey John,

Were have I scene those reproductions before :thumbs: ? :thumbs2: Thanks again. Unfourtunately, it won't fit over the bends in the modified shifter on the first RJ. You can be rest-assured it will be going on the second RJ when that's done. Tell everyone where you got the leather from to make 'em :ychain:

Jeff

WHC-125

Tell everyone where you got the leather from to make 'em :ychain:

Jeff, if he was to tell us then he would have to :thumbs2: :thumbs:

wallfish

I only told you they were real boots, not real rj58 transmission shift lever boots.