upstateyankee50

another to the herd

upstateyankee50

I wanted to give an up date on my latest wheel horse; as most know I posted about an issue that I had with it and so many were kind enough to reply back ;if most don't recall it is a 1968 charger 9 with the 10 horse Tecumseh motor ; 

it seems everyone thought it might be the ignition switch but removing that and installing a brand new one as the same 3 post switch ;everything works but no spark off the plug 'so doing some test I found out that yes there is power from the switch to the unit on the solid state ignition but checking where that wire attaches to the unit there is none ;so it seems that the unit is no good  and to find another is going to be hard 

sad that the seller mentioned that it ran when it was parked but how long ago was that besides he didn't say when that was 'it is sad that we try to take others for there word but it seems at times they will tell you anything to make a buck

now don't get me wrong as even being a 1968 it is nice condition ;the deck has a few pin holes but that is not an issue '

I did give the motor a good cleaning and even the frame and head as so much grime and built up oil ;;the tires  are in good condition no leaks plus no dents or dings in the hood; I really thought I was getting a good deal for the 350 I paid plus less than 100 dollars for the top price gas an even being a 135 mile ride one way and the same back well at least I got out for the day ;

a little history on this tractor ;it seems the night before I was to arrive to check it over ;the seller told me that someone tried to steal it ;and they busted the key switch ;odd as he told me his bedroom window is at the same side where the tractor sat ; and he went to a auto parts store and they sold him the wrong switch as that switch was meant for bigger tractor and it would never fit in that small hole on the dash so it was removed but during that time he wired it up and tried to start it sure it turned over but that was all ;but once a new switch is installed for sure it will start ;  so yes I took the chance and brought it home ;

the numbers are HH-100

115095-B

if any member just might have that unit as a spare and would like sell it I sure would appreciate it 

thanks 

286042348_567947851433327_2559196901772896064_n.jpg

287050373_747685626262453_5368281766097299766_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Cool machine!  I’d like to see what they did for the pulley system to run that deck.  It doesn’t look a ton like anything I’ve seen before. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
7 hours ago, upstateyankee50 said:

if any member just might have that unit

You may want to put an ad in our classified wanted section.    Good luck finding one.

• Thanks 1

rjg854

You could also call A-Z Tractor and see if he might have one.

Tractorhead
11 hours ago, upstateyankee50 said:

Nice Rig you found, congrats.

I don't want to be rude, but if you can, could I ask for 1-2 detailed pictures of the mower details?

i like the jackshaft version.

I've never seen these before.
Thanks for that in advance.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

• Thanks 1

upstate yank
5 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Cool machine!  I’d like to see what they did for the pulley system to run that deck.  It doesn’t look a ton like anything I’ve seen before. 

yep it sure is different and why they changed it we will never know ;yes it is a cool tractor if I can get it to run

upstate yank
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

You may want to put an ad in our classified wanted section.    Good luck finding one.

thanks that is my next thought

upstate yank
4 hours ago, rjg854 said:

You could also call A-Z Tractor and see if he might have one.

yep I have already contacted him ;just waiting for a reply back 

upstate yank
1 hour ago, Tractorhead said:

I don't want to be rude, but if you can, could I ask for 1-2 detailed pictures of the mower details?

thanks and know you are not rude I will take a few later and post them ;that set up for sure is different 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

upstate yank
9 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

thanks I will check it out

upstate yank
5 hours ago, Pullstart said:

yep it sure is different I am going to remove the deck in a few days and take a few pictures of it ;I will post them as another member what's to see how it is set up

upstate yank
On 7/7/2022 at 11:52 AM, gwest_ca said:

I really appreciate your feed back but I can not really understand you sending me a down load as the mower deck as that is not the issue that I have as it is a issue of no spark 

• Thanks 1

upstate yank
On 7/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, upstate yank said:

yep it sure is different I am going to remove the deck in a few days and take a few pictures of it ;I will post them as another member what's to see how it is set up

as I have mentioned I will send a few a few snaps about the set up which in the years that I have collected never have I seen this set up; today I cleaned the head as so much built on carbon and oil and again adjusted the air gap as the Manuel states ;but still no power off the unit ;the wire off the key switch is hot and the test light does glow so yes the unit is shot but heck the seller did say it started and ran very nice when he parked it but how many years ago he did that ;there are winners and losers though life and it seems for once in the years that I have collected I was the looser so really you can not take any one for there word sad but so true ;I just hate being lying to 

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, upstate yank said:

I can not really understand you sending me a down load as the mower deck as that is not the issue

Questions about the deck drive system were raised by interested members.  I think Garry was trying to help answer those questions.

Sorry to hear the ign mod is shot.       May be a repower is a better option than an expensive used ign mod ?

• Thanks 1

upstateyankee50
On 7/7/2022 at 6:40 AM, Pullstart said:

here is the picture you wanted to see ;the big puller is attached to the latch and shaft odd really

thumbnail_20220710_131808.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

upstateyankee50
On 7/9/2022 at 4:35 AM, Ed Kennell said:

Questions about the deck drive system were raised by interested members.  I think Garry was trying to help answer those questions.

Sorry to hear the ign mod is shot.       May be a repower is a better option than an expensive used ign mod ?

no problem really it is just a hair puller and that I do not have much left ;yes that is the way to go repower it 

upstateyankee50
On 7/7/2022 at 10:55 AM, Tractorhead said:

at your request here is a picture of the mower deck the bigger pulley is attached to the latch and shaft ;thanks as I think it is nice and I hope to get spark if not well a good parts tractor as I have a charger 10 made in 1969 as most parts will work if needed but I really am not fond of tractors for parts even a horse 

Pullstart

Makes sense.  Those decks were originally powered by we’ll say a 2.5” pulley off the engine.  They were about a 1:1 ratio for the engine to jackshaft drive.  The big pulley is matching the engine pulley so the deck is not over driven or under driven.  Cool!

Tractorhead
7 hours ago, upstateyankee50 said:

at your request here is a picture of the mower deck the bigger pulley is attached to the latch and shaft ;thanks as I think it is nice and I hope to get spark if not well a good parts tractor as I have a charger 10 made in 1969 as most parts will work if needed but I really am not fond of tractors for parts even a horse 

Thanks for the Pict.

i don’t would part it out either.

I swaped the Engine on my 656 to an modified Predator what was a great Success.

Still kept the original tecumseh engine to be able fix it sometimes.

But so far my predator does a very good job in my Tracta.

upstateyankee50
19 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Thanks for the Pict.

i don’t would part it out either.

I swaped the Engine on my 656 to an modified Predator what was a great Success.

Still kept the original tecumseh engine to be able fix it sometimes.

But so far my predator does a very good job in my Tracta.

you are very welcome and again with any horse it is a shame to swap motors to any one that is not a wheel horse ;I grew up on these find old tractors and my dad felt sorry for me that with 3 older brothers they would take off when the lawn needing to be mowed and what I used was one of those old fashions types  so he bought our first wheel horse and boy it was so grand to be able to sit rather that push ;well one day he came home and caught my older brother drag raising the kid next door so that was the end of that as he took the horse back to the dealer and sold it back; but though my years of growing up I would drive around the back roads and fine so many horses that were sitting and going to waste  the owner would let them go and no cash was involved 'so thought the years I have owned so many and some came with the implements 'as they didn't know  if they would start or any thing ;which was fine with me as why let these sit and rot where they might be able to be fixed and run for years ;but to me honestly is the best policy ;but times have changed thought the years and most will say anything to make a buck oh yes it ran when I parked it but when was that ; so now again I took a seller for his word and come to find out the unit was no good ;but still if I can find that part things would be great ;we can hope and wish ; though my years of buying and selling I have never lied to any one to make a fast buck as I am 72 going on 73 but I will always have a few horses in the barn as now the total of 5 

upstateyankee50
On 7/10/2022 at 7:06 PM, Pullstart said:

Makes sense.  Those decks were originally powered by we’ll say a 2.5” pulley off the engine.  They were about a 1:1 ratio for the engine to jackshaft drive.  The big pulley is matching the engine pulley so the deck is not over driven or under driven.  Cool!

yes that is so true as checking out the mower deck diagram that one pully is attached to the latch and shaft as most collectors even my self I have never seen this type before but is is different 'I am hoping once that I can find that unit 'the tractor and mower deck will run and like new ' it has the 18 inch blades and my question is do they rotate like the RM-326 where one runs clock wise and the other counter clock wise 

Bucks

I own a 1968 Raider 9 with the same model number techie engine. the ignition switch was not original, replaced with new switch from a to z tractor.  wiring diagram is available  from the forum.  Took a little time, but cleared up the mess  correct switch should be 3 terminal.  also my cutting deck looks the same as yours , is that a 2 blade deck?  original  attachment lists decks for my raider  as all 3 blade decks  mine has a 2

Edited by Bucks
additional info

upstateyankee50
On 7/25/2022 at 7:29 AM, Bucks said:

I own a 1968 Raider 9 with the same model number techie engine. the ignition switch was not original, replaced with new switch from a to z tractor.  wiring diagram is available  from the forum.  Took a little time, but cleared up the mess  correct switch should be 3 terminal.  also my cutting deck looks the same as yours , is that a 2 blade deck?  original  attachment lists decks for my raider  as all 3 blade decks  mine has a 2

thanks and sorry for the late reply as with the days being so hot in the upper 90-s I enjoy the days outside; as far as the key switch it is a 3 terminal as it was bought from a wheel horse dealer; I do as well have the wiring diagram which helps but I am confused as the red wire off the switch and the black one ;so many have offered there opinions but I am still not sure as which wire is the hot one ; the black wire that attaches to the coil shows hot with a tester ;but a few have said that wire should not be hot ; the red wire is attached to the terminal in the diagram though it is not wired to anything 'though I was told that red wire attaches to the stator which is behind the fly wheel ; it is odd really as I have a 1969 charger with the same motor a 10 horse and that black wire does show hot with a tester while it is turning over; so again which one is for the kill switch and for the coil ;I have set the air cap according to the specs the motor turns over but no spark ;the plug is new plus I removed the head and cleaned it as what a mess ;the valves open and close as they should plus the piston' so any information  that you could give  would be very helpful 

upstateyankee50
On 7/25/2022 at 7:29 AM, Bucks said:

sorry as I forgot to mention the deck has the 2 blades both are 18 inches long if this helps