Sign in to follow this  
perry

different looking k301 head

perry

i dont recall seeing this style head before. i checked my other ones and the spark plug hole is centered. this one the spark plug hole is right over the exhaust valve :thumbs2: . also there is no cast #'s in the engine block. it should have a K301 raised letters on the one side.

pulled from a wheel horse C-120 kohler 12hp K301s

deck011.jpg

deck012.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

I have two theories

1) That this part of a special "spec" for a specific customer application

2) Or this is from a different model (maybe the M series??)

:thumbs2:

TT

That's one of Kohler's theoretical improvements that's supposed to promote more complete combustion through improved flame travel.

Some "performance" engine builders swear that style of cylinder head adds horsepower but I really doubt it would make much difference on a stock or slightly modified engine.

I'm thinking there's some information about this at Brian Miller's website too.

kpinnc

I'm thinking there's some information about this at Brian Miller's website too.

Yep, you are correct TT.

Don't remember why exactly, but there were several changes made to the spark plug location over the years on K series heads. Some were closer to the top of the cylinder, some between the valves, and some directly over the exhaust valve.

I think the pullers refer to the head pictured here as a "high compression" head.

Kevin

perry

what about no engine cast #'s. ?.

TT

Perry - the only K series single that regularly has a number cast in to the block near the PTO end of the crank is the K-341. I have and haven't seen it on K-321's and K-301's but have never seen a K-241 with the cast numbers. :thumbs2:

WH854

I have a K241 With K301 embossed on the PTo end.I got some information from Brian Millers site about that.

NOTE: Some 10hp Kohler engine blocks have the characters K301 embossed in the casting above the PTO end. These blocks have a thicker cylinder wall and can be safely bored for a 12hp piston (even up to .030" oversize), without making the cylinder wall too thin. In other words, they're like the 13-fin 16hp block.This is on Brian Millers Site.

Chas.

perry

my wheel horse 1277 has the K301 casted in the engine block.

perry

found this info -

The newest style head manufactured by Kohler is much like the previous one, but has the spark plug located directly over the exhaust valve. There are two reasons why Kohler did this:

It prevents cold-starting incoming raw fuel from fouling the spark plug.

It helps to produce more engine power and torque by retaining the majority of the combustion heat in one area.

The compression ratios and mounting bolt lengths are the same as the previous head. By the way - these type of heads are available from Kohler and are the newest ones made. They come on Magnum engines, too.

By the way - the Chevrolet V8 performance racing cylinder heads have the spark plug tip moved toward the exhaust valve for improved performance. It works. The plugs are angled so the tip is closer to the exhaust valve, and so the porcelain part will clear the exhaust header pipes. There's no reason to angle the spark plug in a Kohler head