Jrain

Drive Belt help

Jrain

So I am trying to finish up loose ends on a 16 automatic , after going through all the drive belt topics here on what belt to use   I decided to buy the belt local just in case I ended up with fitment issues , So ended up at my local Napa rip off store  ,I did go to my local  tractor supply first  but no luck they did not have 5/8'' x 82'' in stock , So got a 5L820w at my local rip off Napa , Now I have to ask should you have to use a crow bar to turn the belt on to the pully ? to install the belt ,I do not think so but maybe I am wrong ,Please tell me what should the appropriate amount of force is needed to Install a drive belt on a Hydro wheel horse. Something aint right , I measured  both engine and pump pully's  on all 3 hydros I have . c120, and both auto 16 s , and all 3 WHs have the same diameter pully's both engine and pump . 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

When I installed the belt on my 1970 Charger Hydro I had to do it at the same time as installing the idler pulley or I couldn't get it on all of the pulleys at the same time. The length was okay .... But I used a Wheel Horse belt.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

:text-yeahthat:

I also had to put the idler pulley on AFTER installing the drive belt on a 520. There just isn't much slack and the pulleys at the engine and pump are both fairly large.

Should also mention that I had the right rear wheel off and installed the drive idler spring last.

• Like 1

Jrain

Well I understand that , I am not equating the idler pully (belt tension pully) .the Idler pully is moot , this is without the Idler pully , Idler pully's and tension pully's are always the last part of any belt install .

• Like 1

ebinmaine

If the belt won't go on the transmission pulley and engine pulley without the idler pulley being in place, that kind of has to be the wrong belt.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

You say that's a Napa belt. Is it a Gates Green and is it stamped?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jrain

I also just tried to install this new belt on my c120 same effect ,No way , I put the c120 belt witch is a green belt and in decent condition , but cant read numbers on the 16 auto and it fit well .HUMMMMMMMMMMMM

• Like 1

Jrain

Here you go you tell me  yes belt is stamped with same numbers says also Napa and made in Mexico

IMG_3266.JPG

Edited by Jrain
  • Like 1

Bill D

Is that the correct size belt?  The Eaton hydros on the 3/4/500 series take an 83" belt.  Not sure about the older stuff.

• Like 1

davem1111

Does the tractor have an original engine on it?  I ran into a belt problem with my GT-1848 which was supposed to use an 83" belt, but it was re-powered with a Honda engine at some point, and I had to switch to an 82" belt to get enough tension on it.  Sounds like you might need an 83", but it's hard to tell. I put this belt on recently and recall that it was difficult to get it on the pulleys. 

• Like 1

Jrain
10 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Does the tractor have an original engine on it?  I ran into a belt problem with my GT-1848 which was supposed to use an 83" belt, but it was re-powered with a Honda engine at some point, and I had to switch to an 82" belt to get enough tension on it.  Sounds like you might need an 83", but it's hard to tell. I put this belt on recently and recall that it was difficult to get it on the pulleys. 

Yep tractor has original Kohler big block 16  , Like I said I even tried this new belt on my c120 witch comes up as same wheel horse part number 7473 , and does not fit either tractor , can not seem to find size for WH belt 7473 in all the old threads here about belts just everyone gives  Napa or tractor supply number maybe they are 83 ,but evn 83 might be tight , ,Just trying to see if anyone can give me a correct number ,or maybe it needs a 1/2 width with 82 length in stead of 5/8 width , but I can see the old belts were 5/8  because the c 120 belt is 1/16 shy of 5/8 and the one I am replacing is 1/16 over 1/2 inch width the ends on that one are tattered that why I am replacing that belt.

10 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Jrain said:

16 automatic

There's yer kicker right there.  

17 minutes ago, Jrain said:

WH belt 7473

The Automatics take a 7478.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

squonk

Hydro's use a bigger engine pulley tan 8 spds. 7478 is a 5L840W. Now you can go back to your rip off store, get your money back and maybe have some money left for a coffee!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jrain
10 minutes ago, squonk said:

Hydro's use a bigger engine pulley tan 8 spds. 7478 is a 5L840W. Now you can go back to your rip off store, get your money back and maybe have some money left for a coffee!

LOL , Ok so  5 L 5/8 84 inches in Length , And I know tractor supply had about 6  5/8 84 inch  belts in stock  So , I will go back to My privately owned RIp off Napa store get my $58.64 back and go directly to tractor supply and spend $25.99 , and then go have a nice 25 dollar lunch with coffee of course , Thank you very much sir for your help and time in this matter .  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Jrain said:

$58.64

Holy 5h1t!  

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Jrain said:

$58.64

:scared-shocked:

:scared-eek:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Jrain
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Holy 5h1t!  

Yea they are a complete rip off went there a few months back when I started on this auto 16 for trans fluid , walked in saw Napa brand trans fluid , plan old dex 3  was 14.99 for a quart , I walked out went to wally world and got a gallon for $18.00 ,but should have known not even to attempt going there  because a few weeks earlier when I was going through the engine I walked in there and asked for 2 feet of 1/4 inch regular fuel line they wanted 12.00 dollars. I walked down the street to the MoM and POP hardware store and grabbed 12 feet for 12.00  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

daveoman1966

The OEM belt for Wheelhorse Autos is #7478.  The OEM belt for 8-speed trans is #7473.  

On these older tractors, you'll find the OEM belts are much better and last for decades over any after-market.  

These two OEM belts get to near $50 bux, but worth it in the long haul...894617250_7473-7478BELTS.jpg.d518cb2d685ad6952e77f0d249ac7104.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 3