ri702bill

4 and 8 Speed Gear Oil availability

rmaynard
1 hour ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Wasn’t there a thread on here not too long ago in which someone claimed, credibly, that the Wally World Super Tech was the exact same stuff as Mobil 1, if memory serves,  both coming from the same refinery?

It's probably made by Warren Oil. Their full synthetic actually tested better than Mobil 1.

So I say, what difference does it make? It's not a high speed transmission, and most of us have a little if not a lot of water in it anyway. :confusion-shrug:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

what difference does it make

We've all drained coffee colored nastiness from a manual transmission at one point.  

These rigs are TOUGH.  

I've wondered more than once if these transmissions would be just as happy with canned spray cheese as gear oil. 

I can find multiple sources on the interwebs that state the GL5 "may harm" yellow metals in the transmission.  

What I can't find is any justification for or against what it would do (if anything) to a Horse transmission.  

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA
11 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

and most of us have a little if not a lot of water in it anyway.

One of these fine days I’ll have to drill out the drain plug on the No Name 8/4 and see where on that spectrum it is.  I feel pretty squeamish about doing that, tbh.  That’s like the first step to triggering the need for a complete rebuild.

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

have to drill out the drain plug

Stripped out head? 

• Like 1

Rob J.
37 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Stripped out head? 

Yikes

• Sad 1

Rob J.

I’m thinking 80/90 GTG in a manual. 

• Like 1

Rob J.
1 minute ago, Rob J. said:

I’m thinking 80/90 GTG in a manual. 

My thinking also is the thicker it is the smoother it will be to a point. 

Edited by Rob J.
  • Like 1

EB-80/8inPA
41 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Stripped out head? 

Aye.  Frozen in situ.  Rusted in place.  Completely uncooperative.  I tried all the suggestions.  It’s hopelessly seized.

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
  • Like 2

Rob J.
Just now, Rob J. said:

My thinking also is the thicker it is the smoother it will be to a point. 

One caveat is is severe cold climates this not necessarily applies. I live in cold climate but my horses are stabled. 

• Like 1

WHX??
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Even that Marine lower unit ......4 stroke outboards don't need it.  

Can someone school me on why. My outboard is about as vintage as my tractors. :) I would think there needs to be something in ther to lube bevel gears & bearings?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

EB-80/8inPA
18 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Can someone school me on why. My outboard is about as vintage as my tractors. :) I would think there needs to be something in ther to lube bevel gears & bearings?

I don’t get it either.  How is the LU’s operation or lubrication needs affected by the type of engine?

• Like 1

WHX??

Pressure lubes off the engine perhaps? What happens when the prop shaft seal leaks water in then?

• Like 1

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I can find multiple sources on the interwebs that state the GL5 "may harm" yellow metals in the transmission.  

What I can't find is any justification for or against what it would do (if anything) to a Horse transmission.  

As I recall from the lube classes it is the sulfur in the GL5 that will harm yellow metal. But the oil has to be HOT for that harm to occur. I don’t think these gear drive get hot enough for it to matter. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Or run Straight 40w motor oil..WH specified it for a couple years.  My 1967 Lawn Ranger my father bought in May 1967 has run on 40w for 55 years now.  Used year round no issues....

• Like 3

stevasaurus

My 60 hp Mercury outboard (4 stroke) has no plugs for the lower unit like my 2 stroke outboards.  Believe me, I looked and read the manual.  It has an oil filter like a car and takes 3 qts of 25W-40.  Of course the engine can't hold that much oil, so some of it circulates into the lower unit.  It still is water cooled though.  When you drain this puppy, you raise the engine all the way and tilt it on it's side.

As far as the shaft seals, that is why you check the oil before use.  I love this engine, so quiet and smooth starting and running.  :USA:

• Like 2

peter lena

@JoeM , think a lot of the issue's is a long overdue service / changing long over due oils . regularly check  mine , always clean and clear . still drop it every other year , always a fresh shift boot , zero moisture entry . don't have any discoloration in the oil at all , just talking from my own experience , pete   

• Like 1

lynnmor

When machining brass or copper, the correct cutting oil should be used to prevent staining.  This reaction takes place quickly and often the parts will become ugly overnight, ask me how I know.  The same will happen inside a gear box and those parts will be exposed to the offending lubricant for years.  Before jumping to conclusions about the suitability of certain oils one should research the use of a product that is different than what is specified.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2