Al C.

Battery not charging

Al C.

Recently the “Generator” light on my Wheel Horse 1067 stays lighted constantly, even at high RPM.  The problem was intermittent before I installed a new battery and constant after the new battery.  I also installed a new regulator, thinking it might be faulty.    I’ve tested the starter/generator.  On direct current it spins up quickly and brakes moderately when a charge is applied to the Field terminal.  I opened up the starter/generator and cleaned out all of the built up carbon.  With the exception of the caked carbon dust it appears in pretty good condition (pictures attached).  The brushes are worn, but they certainly have enough size to be pressing firmly against the armature.  So, I’m struggling to troubleshoot this one.  Is there any chance the ignition switch can have anything to do with it not charging?  I’m interested in any suggestions.  

F06BAC64-B2E8-4B8D-8ABC-36ECBD4DAC1D.jpeg.2b76f893c3f606bd31ee2341b3a6f466.jpegCA23E986-C95E-41D1-A0F9-85ECD1430218.jpeg.abc5f836db5b128a75317f9af1f9bf84.jpeg9E746938-3C2D-42AB-B203-E62EC8C4BAB7.jpeg.a8f77b21cac881a62d73dded2615ecd7.jpegC2D8DC3D-8398-48C1-B09D-6DA7F7AA44FF.jpeg.63e99606c524a6a7e69ce97190bfa8aa.jpeg5B0D428F-0787-458B-8E08-CA86271A9BF1.jpeg.af6cc8ab9d5bb2a66b481695a3b0eb8b.jpeg
6E2B681F-4D80-4CE8-871D-FFB7A206F062.jpeg.89887af3c5c1fb99be22f33ba32ccf5c.jpeg

6D374827-71FA-4BFF-97BC-F1ACC1E7AD5B.jpeg

Edited by Al C.

953 nut
3 hours ago, Al C. said:

Is there any chance the ignition switch can have anything to do with it not charging?

Have you confirmed that the voltage isn't increasing when the engine is running? Have you removed, cleaned and tighten all three wires on the switch? The fact that rotation stops when voltage is applied to the Field is a good sign though it should stop rather abruptly. Was there any change in this after the clean-up? Perhaps Paul @pfrederi  can shed some light on this. The drawing below shows the charging system and your generator light. 

image.jpeg

J854D

I’m wondering if the cable that connects the voltage regulator to the battery is where the problem is, since the light was on intermittent and then on steady after replacing the battery. Could be a corroded or open connection somewhere in that wire. You would have moved/tugged on both ends of that wire when replacing the battery and then the regulator. I know you have a new regulator, but the body of it needs a good ground to function. Check that flexible bare copper wire that connects the regulator base, past the shock mount, to the regulator mounting bracket. I’ve seen them cause problems before. -JD-

• Like 1

Al C.

Thanks for your suggestions!  I have confirmed that voltage is NOT increasing when the engine is running.  Also, the generator slows more quickly when applying direct charge to the Field terminal, but it does not stop abruptly.  I have performed continuity tests on all of the connections, wires, and grounds.  All demonstrate clean continuous connectivity - no variation.  So there appear to be no shorts.  I have not done anything with the ignition switch or it’s connections yet.  Lastly, I just compared the picture of my generator core armature to a picture of a refurbished armature (picture attached).  There is clearly more wear/abrasion on my core than the refurbished one.  In fact the wires that run the length of my armature are clearly exposed and abraded.  Could this be an indication that the generator is worn out and needs rebuilt/replaced?

84C9755F-8775-4596-90BD-DCF3B5C94061.jpeg.3ce1d3eef889ad64e8a7b3fdee4cdd86.jpeg

J854D

You could test the armature for a short to ground by connecting your multimeter between the commutator and the bearing shaft. There should be no continuity. If the armature was shorted to ground you would probably notice some starting trouble also. Try a full field test of the generator. Ground the field terminal and run the engine up to speed. This bypasses the regulator and tests the generator’s maximum output. If the generator is functioning properly you will see the voltage increase significantly. -JD-

Al C.

This is a video of the Field terminal test ….   Thoughts?  All of the starter/generator internal tests for continuity and dis-continuity are as they should be.  

pfrederi

Can't see the video... Does the voltage go up engine running and then grounding the F terminal????

Al C.

We’ll, I found the problem.  The new regulator that I installed after I replaced the battery was faulty.  The reason I replaced the original 55 year old regular was because the old regulator was shorting out across its base rubber mount (fatigue).  After ruling out the starter/generator since all tests were favorable I decided to replace the new regulator with the old one and use a popsicle stick to separate the regulator housing from its Mount across the base.  It works!   See the attached video and picture (popsicle stick protruding both sides of the regulator base).   Thanks everyone for your help!  As a result of this, I now have a painfully clean old starter/generator - the silver lining.  

6CE58B6C-E468-4ECC-A12E-4ABF4F9786E2.jpeg.c13d73958717dd4bdf53e5eafe9464de.jpeg  
  • Like 1