ineedanother

Tool shed

ineedanother

8ntruck asked about this in another forum but I didn't want to derail that one so thought I would start a new thread here. This was last year's project while we were locked down for COVID. I had about 40 sheets of 5/8" plywood and a bunch of recovered 2x4s and really needed something to help decompress the garage a bit. I have an HOA and not a lot of yard to work with and on top of that whatever I decided on needed to match the architecture and satisfy the bureaucracy...and the wife!

I was pretty much relegated to a 10 x 16 footprint so I poured 6 footings with Simpson ties for the 4x6 posts so the wood and concrete would be separated. I laid two layers of 5/8 plywood on 2x8 on 16" centers. Stick built trusses to allow overhead access and an eave for aesthetics. Plywood gusset plates with construction adhesive and about 120 8d nails per truss. I framed it up on the deck and numbered everything so it could be disassembled and then reassembled more easily than doing all of that fitting up on ladders.

roof framing.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

ineedanother

I went back and forth about the wall height. I wanted as much as possible but with the steep roof pitch I didn't want it to look like a tower. I considered a roll-up door but decided on a 5' outswing double door. Here it is framed up and ready for the roof sheathing. I was delayed a bit getting to this point because OSB was in short supply and up to $55/sheet and I just hadn't planned on lumber prices doing what they did.

It was interesting adding the eave on the long side. It was all framed up and fitted so I ended up leaning an extension ladder and sliding it up the ladder into place. My wife was a little skeptical but she helped and it went on without any issues.

Framed up.jpg

• Like 6

ineedanother

I got it all dried in and wrapped. I thought I would be able to buy louvers but ended up having to build a jig and make them myself. They turned out really nice and provide the right airflow to protect the shingles. At this point I was waiting on the large door so I installed the vinyl windows, pulled interior wiring and that goes with that.

Wrapped.jpg

louvers.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

ineedanother

I wouldn't recommend trenching by hand in NC in July, but that's what I had to do. I can't get large equipment into my back yard but needed to bury a couple downspouts and run power from the main panel in the garage so it was time to knock the rust off of the pick axe. 18" wide, 24" deep, but thankfully only about 80' long. I buried 6 gauge wire in 1 1/2" conduit so I could run 50 amps of 240v out to a sub panel in the shed.

Trenchin.jpg

• Like 6

ineedanother

I hadn't ever done much with Hardy plank siding but I have a 4" wet saw and bought a pair of electric shears which are the ticket! My neighbor convinced me to try his battery powered Milwaukee framing nailer and I was really surprised how well it did. It was nice to not deal with air hoses everywhere. 

D80D34E6-.jpg

• Like 5

ineedanother

I added some decking, soffit and facia, shingles which were brutal on a 12/12 pitch, and got some paint on it.

Almost done.jpg

Decking.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

Skwerl58

Great work. Having time, knowledge, tools and will power proves that lots of things can be accomplished. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Excellent work!!! 

• Like 1

ineedanother

Thanks guys,

For many years I could never afford to pay anyone to do anything for me around the property so I acquired tools as I could and learned how to do it myself. I insulated, drywalled, and trimmed the inside. I didn't insulate the floor figuring that critters would just tear it up from underneath. I had a couple pallets of commercial carpet tiles so those went in to help keep the chill off in winter. I'm able to keep it warm with just a small electric heater.

I had a spare resin-top bench at work (weighs a ton!) so that went in with a couple cabinets and a small fridge so I'm in business! I wish it could have been bigger but just have to be efficient with the space. My extension ladder usually hangs over the door but it's out right now. You can see in this pic that there are sliding access doors to the overhead storage which really helps. The lighting is all LED to conserve power but I can run my compressor and saws without issue. I was able to distribute some GFCI power to the back yard while I was at it so it's really been a valuable project.

IMG_0110.jpg

• Excellent 5

8ntruck

Nice building.  I'm impressed with the louvers.  Bet a chop saw with compound angle capability came in real handy for those.

• Like 3

ineedanother
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Nice building.  I'm impressed with the louvers.  Bet a chop saw with compound angle capability came in real handy for those.

Absolutely. I have a 12" Rigid compound miter on a HF stand that made the job doable. Folks bust on HF but their Hercules and US General lines are tough to beat. Pennies on the dollar compared to big name brands. I made the frames, set the angles and cut all of the louvers pretty quickly. I tacked them in with a 16g pneumatic nailer and it wasn't difficult. A hammer and nails would have been really frustrating but having them custom made would have been a deal breaker from a budget standpoint. 

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, ineedanother said:

having them custom made

They were… by you… excellent work !

True craftsmanship right there !

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
8 hours ago, ineedanother said:

a valuable project.

I am quite impressed!  Nice work!

I can tell you that one of those windows would have an A/C unit in it if it were on my property... and there would be a fold down cot for when the Treasurer won't let me in the house... it happens!  :text-lol:

Oh yeah, don't forget the TV and audio system.

But... if it were mine it would already be filled to the brim with junk and no room for anything like that.  Only takes me a couple weeks.  I'd be back to sleeping in the car.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Haha 2

ineedanother
3 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

They were… by you… excellent work !

True craftsmanship right there !

Thanks man. I have to give a nod to my dad who taught me a lot about woodworking and recently sold his Wheel Horse to move into a condo without land to care for. If anyone here happened to acquire one in Saxonburg, PA recently, it was likely my dad's equipment and I hope it is serving you well. 

v/r

• Like 2

ineedanother
10 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I am quite impressed!  Nice work!

I can tell you that one of those windows would have an A/C unit in it if it were on my property... and there would be a fold down cot for when the Treasurer won't let me in the house... it happens!  :text-lol:

Oh yeah, don't forget the TV and audio system.

But... if it were mine it would already be filled to the brim with junk and no room for anything like that.  Only takes me a couple weeks.  I'd be back to sleeping in the car.

yeah, lots of options...my wife has recommended that I hang a hammock. I'm considering it, some days more than others :-D

• Haha 3

Jeff-C175
4 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

yeah, lots of options...my wife has recommended that I hang a hammock. I'm considering it, some days more than others :-D

Hammock is a great idea!  Easy to deploy and store...

• Like 1

Heatingman

Nice job for sure. 

never easy doing a project like that, especially solo.

Having one built to those same standards would be like buying a car. And alot less fun.

• Like 2

ineedanother
23 minutes ago, Heatingman said:

Having one built to those same standards would be like buying a car. And alot less fun.

Agreed. I've looked at some of the prefabbed sheds and most of them are pretty shoddy. This one is basically residential construction standards. There was some expense but I'm in it just about every day so it's paying off. 

• Excellent 3

Wheelhorse#1

excellent craftsmanship .Id never be home if I had that..lol

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I was just referred to this thread from another thread, and I must say that you approached building that roof exactly as I would have. It all fits together and any mistakes are corrected from a comfortable height Cut all the sheathing on the ground as well and fit o the ground as well.

One small suggestion that pays off in safety would either be to rent scaffolding for that very steep roof and/or some adjustable roofing jacks. I have a couple 16 foot rated walk planks as well as a 24 foot, but some hasty scaffolds can be constructed and nailed up on the walls and very easily done so just by securing them across the building and temporarily fastening to the wall studs. Back in the day when board sheeting was used in place of plywood, it may have been more common to skip a wall sheathing board to set a scaffold shelf, but it is still doable even with plywood sheathing A few 16 foot 2x4s nailed at a handy height maybe three feet below the top plate would give you a three foot pike on either side of the wall. lay a few boards on them and proceed in comfort and safety.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

Treepep

That is fantastic!  My H.O.A. holes only allow 10x12 single level shed with no power that must match the house.  Blech!  Very nice work indeed.:clap:

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Treepep said:

H.O.A. holes

:ROTF:

Treepep
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

:ROTF:

Don't get me started on the trash holes that make such a mess of my street. Gardening section... Who knew? Now, Here I can contribute.  Great work @ineedanother!  If you are bored again I have an off grid that needs finishing:D

• Like 1

ineedanother
6 hours ago, Treepep said:

Don't get me started on the trash holes that make such a mess of my street. Gardening section... Who knew? Now, Here I can contribute.  Great work @ineedanother!  If you are bored again I have an off grid that needs finishing:D

HOA holes...:laughing-rolling: It's a little better over here in Durham County but not by much :angry-screaming:

• Haha 1