"Manic-Mechanic"

K 241AS Intake Whistle

"Manic-Mechanic"

I changed out to this after-market carb  and now there is a chugging whistle, wasn't present with the old carb set for new gaskets

Edited by "Manic-Mechanic"

ri702bill

A whistling sound is usualy a clue that there is a vacuum leak. I like to use WD40 with the straw to find where it is coming from. Run the engine at the throttle setting that makes the most whistle noise, and gently spray the WD40 onto the perimeter of the mating gasket. If there is a leak, it will suck the liquid in and the RPM will increase. You may need to spray where the mixture adjusting screws thread into the carb body and if there are any externally plugged cross drilled passages. Remember, it IS made of "Chineseium", after all....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
On 6/27/2022 at 2:45 PM, ri702bill said:

A whistling sound is usualy a clue that there is a vacuum leak. I like to use WD40 with the straw to find where it is coming from. Run the engine at the throttle setting that makes the most whistle noise, and gently spray the WD40 onto the perimeter of the mating gasket. If there is a leak, it will suck the liquid in and the RPM will increase. Yoy may need to spray where the mixture adjusting screws thread into the carb body and if there are any externally plugged cross drilled passages. Remember, it IS made of "Chineseium", after all....

I rebuilt the original quick, (STOP BEING IMPATIENT), and viola! 

Here is a video of the original carburetor

ri702bill

The folks at Isavetractors go the extra mile to be sure the carb is good. It is my understanding that they actually run them on a test motor and do the initial adjustments - A good practice to prevent you getting a DOA item.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
On 6/27/2022 at 3:44 PM, ri702bill said:

The folks at Isavetractors go the extra mile to be sure the carb is good. It is my understanding that they actually run them on a test motor and do the initial adjustments - A good practice to prevent you getting a DOA item.

Edit, received a reply on the issue with all fingers pointing to my engine,  My engine runs excellent as the video can attest to.

Also, they do not test every carburetor prior to selling it. All of these carburetors are being mass produced at a quality facility using  Norman's  specifications. I have only ever purchased fuel pump rebuild kits from this company and they are a quality product. I will save the carb, they would have accepted it back, but it's probably something simple...

• Like 2

"Manic-Mechanic"

Here is the engine once more with original carburetor, which I was trying not to rebuild but kind'a was forced into doing it...

creighton trimble

Hmmm, I am running one of there carbs on my k241 and couldn't be happier.

It would be interesting to see what the issue is with the carb, take a straight edge to the mounting surface. 

Please, keep us informed what you find.

"Manic-Mechanic"
9 hours ago, creighton trimble said:

Hmmm, I am running one of there carbs on my k241 and couldn't be happier.

It would be interesting to see what the issue is with the carb, take a straight edge to the mounting surface. 

Please, keep us informed what cyou find.

Yes, 

here is a good picture, it is beautiful. I mean it sealed, no vacuum leaks, no fuel leaks. Looks excellent inside. The company was going back and forth with me, all the usual trouble-shooting, even offered a return for refund. I had this stored away new since last July 1st, their product never has failed me, ever! So I just got tired of everyone saying to do this or that to my engine. Engine is fine as the video can attest to...Mystery, welcome any new ideas related to the carburetor.

I will get into this carburetor, find whatever issue may be present as time permits, just no longer a priority as the original is back on. Whatever I find, I'll be sure and post.

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1