Eric 312-8

Seat switch, and now clutch pedal

Eric 312-8

Hello,

So I installed a new seat switch for my 312-8 Wheel Horse as the indicator light indicated, and now the clutch light is coming on and still no ignition.  I found my battery cable eaten at the connection from corrosion so I am replacing that, but I am wondering if there are some contact points that I should clean on the machine, or some other things I should check.  I ask this because as I was trying to start the machine before getting into it, I rocked the tractor with the key on and the clutch in and like a mildly frustrated child rocked the tractor and she caught.... but just for a second   and then nothin.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated, this was my godfathers machine and I want to keep it running.  thank you,  Eric

stevasaurus

Corrosion and bad grounds could short out your safety switches.  I would clean up the wiring, corrosion and grounds and then go from there.  You probably need to be in the seat to start that horse.  Bypass switches to eliminate the bad stuff.  Process of elimination.

I should put a disclaimer in here.  I am not really familiar with the OSHA'd horses.  Mine are from the 60's, but the corrosion and bad grounds work in the 60's also.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

We and you need to know the model number of your 312-8 so the correct diagnosis is used.

Basically the seat switch controls the ignition or spark but done in two different ways depending on the model. Checking it incorrectly can be very costly and release the magic smoke.

The clutch switch controls the starter motor circuit and has nothing to do with the ignition or spark circuit.

If you do not have a tractor model ID post all the numbers off the engine decal including the serial number.

• Like 2

Eric 312-8

Thank you very much, I will take all those numbers down off the engine tomorrow and post them here.  

Eric 312-8

The Information off the engine plate is;

Spec 47828

Serial# 1526614

12hp Kohler.

I installed the Battery cable with a new end, cleaned connections, and still not start.  This time while trying to start, I engaged  the pto back and forth , key on, clutch in, and she caught again for a few then nothin.  Thanks again for any advice.

953 nut
19 hours ago, Eric 312-8 said:

This time while trying to start, I engaged  the pto back and forth , key on, clutch in, and she caught again for a few then nothin.

:WRS:

As @stevasaurus already mentioned you should invest a little time and clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. Many of your connections are around the battery and have been subjected to acid fumes from the battery for decades. Any corrosion at any connection will eventually cause a problem, get some dielectric grease and protect each connection with it as you go along.  Also inspect all of the wires to see that none are chafed.

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 2

Eric 312-8

Thank you very much, I got it running pulling the pto handle back so now and I am going to clean every connection.  Thanks!