Sign in to follow this  
BPEisenhower

Allis Chalmers C magneto troubles rise

BPEisenhower

Greetings all! Hopefully someone out there in this vast expanse can be my eyes. Mine are not good at the moment and can't focus on much and need a hand. After figuring out the magneto wasn't timed properly I decided to investigate further. Upon doing so, I can not find a dot, paint mark or the elusive beveled gear that is supposed to be visible. Can anyone else find it and if so, where exactly is it? Thank you all so much and be blessed all of you! BTW, I would try to circle which one is my pick but don't know how to use the phone that well...

IMG_20220623_053723.jpg.73e97621532cea29e6b1ce8adc1eeb74.jpg

IMG_20220623_053749.jpg

sjoemie himself

Seems there are multiple dots on the gear but that's probably just dirt? 

Could you take pictures from another angle and maybe one or two where the gear is in focus? It's all kinda blurry right now..

• Like 1

ACman

Has the gear been off before and put on backwards ? Very hard to tell with the gear out of focus. 

Just stick your pinky finger in the #1 spark plug hole and give that gear a spin. Let us know what happens when you find it :lol: ….. :scared-shocked: 

• Haha 1

BPEisenhower

Finally got a few different pictures and I think it's the smaller discoloration tooth and has a little dirty dot.... At the opening of the retainer ring  Just a little history on this tractor is it was sitting 23 years in a garage with a concrete floor. Engine was stuck I believe on one cylinder since only one spark plug was rusty. After soaking for a day, it broke free. Starter does work but lagging. Hand cranking shows compression. Coil has been replaced with the plastic version but spark is intermittent. Probably need to file more and spray electric cleaner again

IMG_20220624_150517.jpg.80c54cc1fc55273ac760fffe655f5e2e.jpg

IMG_20220624_150531.jpg

IMG_20220624_150527.jpg

Edited by BPEisenhower
  • Like 1

ACman

Middle picture I can make out a dot about the 6:15 position. If my dad could figure out his smart phone he’d know . If you want I can pm you the number to his store. If he’s there ( he’s 79 ) he’ll pick up. There’s a treasure trove of Aknowledge locked away in his head . 

BPEisenhower

Thank you for the eyes! Wasn't sure about the dot and will have to paint it bright for future reference. If I can't get it, a call to your father maybe necessary since mine is 95 and told me I can fix it myself if I can take it apart..... I might have to switch a few plug wires around on a few of his or take the rotor out as an example. Ha ha. Appreciate the help and will get motor spun backwards until dot is at noon position