Bill D

What is this product?

Bill D

I saw this product used to coat the pump island at my local gas station.  Does anyone know what it is and who makes it?  It had a nice texture and seems really tough.  I think it would be a great coating for my garage floor.  No one at the gas station knew who applied it.  Thanks.

KIMG1687.JPG

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Bill D said:

a great coating for my garage floor

I'd be curious too. 

We'll be looking for a preservative for our new shop floor in the next few months. 

I'm currently leaning towards an epoxy of some sort.  

• Like 2

stevebo

Bill-

Plaza deck coating most likely. Similar to what is used in parking garages and athletic  stadiums. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, stevebo said:

Bill-

Plaza deck coating most likely. Similar to what is used in parking garages and athletic  stadiums. 

Does this substance have a good life expectancy and do we know if it might be oil product proof?

• Like 1

stevebo

Eric-

Not sure on oil proof. Life expectancy is good. Problem is application. Not a homeowner type job. Need to have company do it that does large commercial applications. Goggle parking garage/plaza deck coatings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ranger

Years ago our old workshop floor was done with a similar coating. It was carried out whilst we were on holiday, (vacation). They used an acid solution to remove any contamination and ‘etch’ the concrete, then applied a two pack epoxy floor paint. A small amount of grit was also added to provide a non slip surface, but not enough to give you ‘Gravel Rash’ if you fell over whilst running to the exit when the lunch or going home buzzer sounded 😂😂. It stood up to most things we could throw at it, oil,  petrol, diesel,  etc. I think the preparation,  and the fact it was two pack made a lot of difference to the outcome.

• Like 3

Horse Newbie

I think I used an epoxy type coating “kit” from Lowes… it was packaged and geared towards a standard 2 car garage.

I believe it was Valspar brand.

It worked great, following the instructions carefully, but I did read some reviews where people complained that hot tires would pull it off the floor. (I suspect in those instances the instructions were not followed to the “T”.)

I have had no such problems with mine, but my shop floors never see hot tires.

It is not designed to hold up to direct sunlight.

I am very pleased with my results… the only bad part is I have dirtied it up pretty bad with overspray, but oil and other things do clean up well on it.

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 3

Jeff-C175
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd be curious too. 

If I were a rich man...

https://racedeck.com/

• Like 3