BigDaddyO

Hi there!

BigDaddyO

Hello,

I just picked up a non-working Wheelhorse 310-8 from I think 1986.

I've never used a riding lawnmower and got it as a project to tinker with. It was $200 and has a new carb, rebuilt starter, new battery, new front wheels, new mower blades.

After cleaning out the fuel tank, replacing the cracked fuel line and put in a new clear fuel filter I got it to start today but it's running REALLY rich so i've got some carb tinkering to do.

I'm going to have some more questions about this but I guess I'll keep those for the main forum.

Mike

oh, here are some Pic's

PXL_20220605_204014241.jpg

PXL_20220605_225124044.jpg

PXL_20220605_225237199.jpg

PXL_20220605_225857408.jpg

PXL_20220605_225905847.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

roadapples

:WRS: a genuine kohler rebuild kit for your carburetor is only about 12 bucks. Probably be money well spent...

Just saw new carb....

Edited by roadapples
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: great score!

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to Red Square

The M10S-461521 was used 1987-1991.

1990 and 1991 had black background hood decals

Kohler made the engine in 1986 so most likely a 1987 model 21-10K804

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

953 nut

:WRS:

Sounds like you know your way around  a :wh: already. Section 6 of the Kohler Service Manual found in our Manuals section will give you the guidance you need.

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS:  good luck with your project, seems like you're headed in the right direction.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, somebody here will have the answer.

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:Mike. 

oliver2-44

Great worker tractor. 

May I suggest you replace all of the fuel line, not just the bad section. Ethanol fuel eats the rubber inside and then the rubber bits plug your carb.   

If the new carb was an aftermarket and you find it runs rich no matter how you adjust, it may be the aftermarket carb. Some of them work good and some are junk.  If you have the original Kohler carb , definitely keep it.   It can be cleaned and rebuilt quite easily. 

BigDaddyO
4 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Great worker tractor. 

May I suggest you replace all of the fuel line, not just the bad section. Ethanol fuel eats the rubber inside and then the rubber bits plug your carb.   

If the new carb was an aftermarket and you find it runs rich no matter how you adjust, it may be the aftermarket carb. Some of them work good and some are junk.  If you have the original Kohler carb , definitely keep it.   It can be cleaned and rebuilt quite easily. 

yep, I replaced all 5 feet of fuel line and hung the new fuel filter from the fuel pump.  hopefully it doesn't get too hot and melt but I wanted it to be in a V position.