20220823_175623.jpg

20220823_175446.jpg

20220823_175302.jpg

20220823_175232.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

dmoore

Mounted the hood and made a few adjustments today. I'm really happy how this little tractor came out. Had some noise initially coming from the brake pad.  Removed it and the noise went away so I guess I will sand down a little of the top portion of the lining. You can see the dark spot where it was hitting without applying the brake. Thanks to all who helped out along the way and I hope this restoration will help someone in the future. A special thanks to Terry for his fabulous decals!

20220830_132120.jpg

Edited by dmoore

dmoore

20220830_131422.jpg

20220830_131437.jpg

20220830_131536.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, dmoore said:

Removed it and the noise went away so I guess I will sand down a little of the top portion of the lining

I'm not a heavy brake user, but I do like to count on them when applied! On the four tractors I've refurbished, all had plenty of lining but it was glazed or weathered and looked iffy to me.

As you are planning, I did a bit of sanding with a medium grit flap drum to take off the glaze or weathered material and they all work great.

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

dmoore

Removed the brake band and sanded off a little material at the top. re-installed, no more noise.  

dmoore

Question,  for those of you who have the older starter/generator setup what should the generator output be at idle or any speed? I'm only getting battery voltage 12.3 volts. 

rjg854

Not that the Ammeter is that accurate, but at idle my 854 shows in the negative. At full throttle I think it should be putting out between 13 and 14 amps.

Handy Don
1 hour ago, dmoore said:

Question,  for those of you who have the older starter/generator setup what should the generator output be at idle or any speed? I'm only getting battery voltage 12.3 volts. 

I have both ammeter and voltmeter and no powered accessories.

At low idle: 12.1v (battery voltage), negative amps (2-3) (generator has not reached the regulator's minimum threshold voltage so engine is running on battery-powered spark)

At medium idle to full throttle: 12-15.5v, positive amps (2-3) if still charging battery from startup but zero amps after three or four minutes of runtime when battery has reached full charge.

The "stock wired" ammeter measures ONLY the current going into (or out of) the battery, NOT any current from the generator being used by other powered accessories.

If you have correct wiring, and a properly functioning regulator, the tractor and battery will see as much as 15+ volts with engine at 3,000 RPM. The S/G actually puts out a voltage directly proportional to its rotational speed that is well above 15v, but a properly adjusted regulator won't "pass through" any voltage less than 13 and "chops" high voltages down to an effective voltage of 15+.

Using a sensitive digital voltmeter on the regulator output can be ineffective due to the rapid "on/off" of current coming from the regulator. An analog meter is more useful.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1