waltsuz

D180 3 point lift capacity

waltsuz

Been searching around and have not found the lift capacity for a 3 point on a D180. I'm making a box blade/ land leveler and want to lift it with the 3 point. Looking for a working  weight for the lift. Regards walt 

pfrederi

My 3pt picks up the 60 inch finish mower which is about 320lbs

• Like 1

waltsuz

Was hoping 300lbs wasn't too much, its what Im figuring...appreciate the response, thank you

20220525_100531.jpg

• Excellent 3

Pullstart

It’s kind of all about leverage too.  How far back the 300 lbs rides matters too :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

kpinnc

My Bronco 14 has many parts from a D series 3-point. Cylinder, valve, drag arms. The Sundstrand transmission pump also has nearly identical internals. 

If my 3-point has a limit, it's that something would break before the lifting power of the cylinder is met. I'd say the fluid volume of the D series cylinder is 4-5 times the capacity of the regular belly lift cylinder that is on a 520-H, and a 60 inch deck is over 300lbs.

On a D series, I'd say breaking an axle would be the limiting factor to your question. So whatever you build, just make sure pulling it won't break an axle or the tranny. The hydraulics can handle it if the transmission can haul it.

IMG_20220122_211734365.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

Handy Don
8 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

My Bronco 14 has many parts from a D series 3-point. Cylinder, valve, drag arms. The Sundstrand transmission pump also has nearly identical internals. 

If my 3-point has a limit, it's that something would break before the lifting power of the cylinder is met. I'd say the fluid volume of the D series cylinder is 4-5 times the capacity of the regular belly lift cylinder that is on a 520-H, and a 60 inch deck is over 300lbs.

On a D series, I'd say breaking an axle would be the limiting factor to your question. So whatever you build, just make sure pulling it won't break an axle or the tranny. The hydraulics can handle it if the transmission can haul it.

IMG_20220122_211734365.jpg

I have a D series cylinder (~2.75"+ diameter) that I'm building into a new project but it isn't the volume that gives the force, it's the area of the face of the piston.

With 750psi pump pressure, this cylinder will deliver up to ~3,600 lbs of force on extend and ~3,100 lbs of force on retract (the piston rod reduces the area of the face on that side).

Do the math for the leverage of your setup (a bit tricky with all those separate linkages :)) and you'll get a good idea of what the cylinder can do.

(I'll hazard a guess that the cylinder top pivot is  about 5" from the upper lift arm root pivot and the outer end of the lower lift arm is about 15" out yielding ~1,200 lbs of lift, i.e. 3600 x 5 ÷ 15. Replace the "15" with the distance to the center of gravity of your implement for other loading calcs.)

I agree with: a) that on this rig, overbuilt as it is, the cylinder will likely stall before anything within the 3 pt breaks during a lift and b) that other parts of the tractor are probably more vulnerable.

• Like 2

kpinnc
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I'll hazard a guess that the cylinder top pivot is  about 5" from the upper lift arm root pivot and the outer end of the lower lift arm is about 15" out yielding ~1,200 lbs of lift, i.e. 3600 x 5 ÷ 15. Replace the "15" with the distance to the center of gravity of your implement for other loading calcs.)

I agree with: a) that on this rig, overbuilt as it is, the cylinder will likely stall before anything within the 3 pt breaks during a lift and b) that other parts of the tractor are probably more vulnerable.

That's good info, thank you! :thumbs: Very well thought out! I wouldn't have even thought about the rod changing the face diameter on the downward stroke. 

Now please don't do that again without warning old farts like me:

DANGER, ARITHMETIC AHEAD!!!! :P Idiots are urged to avoid this area!!! :lol:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don
5 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Now please don't do that again without warning old farts like me:

You gave me a great laugh but, the above being duly noted, going forward I'll try to be more considerate. :)

By the way, if you have something fixed into the ground to pull up on with the 3 pt, you could probably lift the front of the tractor. Carefully.

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

You gave me a great laugh but, the above being duly noted, going forward I'll try to be more considerate. :)

Please know- I was joking and making fun of me. It's quite refreshing to see someone actually use facts to back up a theory. The best I myself could muster was a "probably"... :P

• Haha 1

pacer
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

you could probably lift the front of the tractor. Carefully.

This, and the hyd system squealing when asked too much of it --- I have had D's for some 40 yrs and believe me I have probably tried bout every thing with that system and have NEVER seen a blown seal or line, or even a leak. Like said, it'll either raise the front end or just squeal in protest!

Handy Don
37 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Please know- I was joking and making fun of me. 

Absolutely taken (and given back) with a genuine smile and enjoyed humor!

That said, I know that I do tend to over-explain. In person, I can detect the listener's body language (sometimes). You poor blokes here on the forum just have to suffer! :lol: :hide:

And here he goes..WARNING (:lol:).  The squeal is the pressure relief valve opening and vibrating as the fluid races through. If you want to have your eyes glaze over, do some reading on the different types of relief valves!

• Haha 3

pacer
12 hours ago, pacer said:

just squeal in protest!

11 hours ago, Handy Don said:

The squeal is the pressure relief valve opening and vibrating as the fluid races through. If you want to have your eyes glaze over, do some reading on the different types of relief valves!

I really should have added a bit to that  - too - brief a comment about the 'squeal'. Yes, Handy Don is very correct in his comments! To explain a bit on when I do - rarely - experience the 'squeal I immediately release the pressure, using the squeal as a STRONG cautioning that I've gone too far.