davem1111

Unadvertised Special? (B100)

Snoopy11
Just now, davem1111 said:

I got my GT-1848 fixed, so the mowing will go faster with the 48" deck :eusa-dance: - that leaves more "tinker time". B)

Absolutely...

Just a little hot out there now...

I'm waiting until fall for most of my projects... just can't handle the heat...

Don

• Like 1

rmaynard

Having been the owner of 4 B-100's, I don't think you can go wrong by offering him $200. That's a realistic price for one of the best little Wheel Horses ever made. 

• Like 1

davem1111

Okay, I lied B).  I got most of the wrinkles out of the GT-1848 with the 48" deck, and got much more mowing done over the last few days than I expected, so I had some tinker time.  Couldn't resist...

Yesterday, I hooked a battery up to the B-100 and shot some starting fluid into the carb to see what she would do.  Nothing.  Oh yeah, the first time I had tried the starter, the gear wasn't kicking out to engage with the flywheel, but something shook it loose so now it's working...

Pulled the old fuel lines and nasty filter off.  Tank had some very putrid smelling gas in it so I dumped that and rinsed the tank with fresh gas and put it aside.  Pulled the float bowl off the carb, no surprise, nasty gummy crap in there.  Pulled the spark plug and tested for spark - yes!  So I shot a little ether down the hole and put the spark plug back, and gave her a crank - she ran for a few cycles! :eusa-dance:  I went ahead and pulled the carb, it's soaking in carb cleaner now. It may clean up enough to work, maybe not. Used my handy gas IV to pump out the crap in the fuel pump - thankfully it seems to be working fine.  With the so far only $50 invested in this, I'm not worried about buying a new carb if I need to.  I'll just need to see if I can plug the leak in the left rear tire, pull the deck and check that out, and soon I'll have a working tractor out of this.  Told my wife I may paint it pink for her. :music-rockon:

davem1111

Before I went away for a long weekend, I had put the cleaned carb back together and re-installed it. Sadly, I guess a jet or something is still clogged - I can't even get it to fire when I shoot ether into the carb, which it would do when ether went in the spark plug hole.  Could be a valve problem too, I suppose, but I ordered a new carb and it should be here today.  Looking forward to getting this beastie running. 

Any tips on easy ways to see if valves are malfunctioning?  I don't have a compression tester but maybe it's time to pick one up. Rather not pull the head if I don't have to.  But first I'll try the new carb.

moe1965

You can take the breather cover off and turn engine over by hand with the plug out to make things easer to turn buy hand. And check the gap while your in there.   Might not be a bad idea to  take off the cover and see if mice build a nest in there.  Hate to over heat and cook a engine 

Edited by moe1965
More info

moe1965

Nice find by the way.  You never know until you ask. I found a tractor the same way.   Saw it sitting out side a garage and approached home owner he was cleaning garage and it was in his way.