davem1111

Unadvertised Special? (B100)

davem1111

So, I had been seeing this red tractor sitting by a garage about a mile from where I live. Not much detail from the road, but I did stop recently and it was then clearly a Wheel Horse, but not clear what model.  I left a note in the mailbox and the guy called me this morning. He wasn't home but said I could swing by for a closer look.  It's a B100, 61-10K803,  and hasn't moved for about 2 years. He said it might just need a battery and fresh gas to run... I'd expect some carb cleaning along with that also.  All 4 tires are flat and the fronts are pretty cracked and rotten, rears not as bad.  Seat is in bad shape. Deck has some rot and holes through it. Everything appears to be present and more or less intact though.   This was not advertised and the guy does not have a sale price in mind yet.  Any thoughts on what this is worth, what I should offer and what's the most this would be worth?  I was looking for an S/N lookup but couldn't find one that works. I'd be excited to get one of these older ones for at least a partial resto or move it along to someone else who wants it even more than I do. But at least save it from sitting out here rotting. Thanks!

IMG_0185.jpeg.046088f245c1244d746bb518ef09908e.jpegIMG_0186.jpeg.f7db534b36fbd362dd5b4fac65ff5087.jpegIMG_0187.jpeg.1120a13156e7b2d4e867f039fd1195a0.jpegIMG_0189.jpeg.482208b998748bee81a51fa12633bbf9.jpeg

1002953261_Greenshot2022-05-2312_42_04.png.0a6fd7a8bccea37b52562c431d93b2c9.pngIMG_0190.jpeg.de8bd8cad8bd6a26dc67c7a3147bd947.jpeg

• Like 7

Snoopy11

Boy... I tell ya... that's a hard one. :eusa-think:

Gosh... me personally... I'd give 200-250 max for that... no more. :snooty:

I would give a low-ball first, like 150$... and tell him you are "getting it out of his way.../... taking it off his hands..."

That may not be a "correct" value for that machine... but that's just what I would pay...

Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

It's got the 103907 transmission...8 speed, 8 pinion, 1 1/8" axles.   If that thing runs and the engine is good (cleaned up), might be worth $600- $700.  If you can get it for less...$200 or $300 with deck, that would be a fair deal...less then that, you should be there now.  :occasion-xmas:

@Snoopy11 , we typed at the same time.  LOL  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

davem1111
10 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Boy... I tell ya... that's a hard one. :eusa-think:

Gosh... me personally... I'd give 200-250 max for that... no more. :snooty:

I would give a low-ball first, like 150$... and tell him you are "getting it out of his way.../... taking it off his hands..."

That may not be a "correct" value for that machine... but that's just what I would pay...

Don

6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

It's got the 103907 transmission...8 speed, 8 pinion, 1 1/8" axles.   If that thing runs and the engine is good (cleaned up), might be worth $600- $700.  If you can get it for less...$200 or $300 with deck, that would be a fair deal...less then that, you should be there now.  :occasion-xmas:

I'm hoping this is a low-ball situation.  He said his uncle gave it to him, and he doesn't want it, and neither do his siblings, so it's just clutter to him. I was thinking I might start at $100.  I think I have a better seat and wheels/tires I could throw on it, and if it runs it's probably worth at least that much.  Unfortunately I'm leaving on a 2 week trip this afternoon, and I already told the guy that June 9th would be the soonest I could get it.  If he decides he doesn't want to wait, if he'll take $200 or less I'll give him a PayPal deposit to hold it for me. B)

Basically I'll tell him I just hate to see these rust away, and I have parts already to do something useful with it. 

Edited by davem1111
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, davem1111 said:

I was thinking I might start at $100. 

THAT would be a steal... but I have seen such things happen in Indiana...:banana-dance:

If I ever hit the lottery... many horses will be in my possession... :D

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Basically I'll tell him I just hate to see these rust away, and I have parts already to do something useful with it.

Agreed. I think sometimes truthfulness and transparency is your best bet... especially in cases where people aren't too attached to the item... :)

If it is really in "his way" ...100$ might be pretty darn appealing!!!

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I happen to have a B-100

AHA! You just jogged my memory! You did tell me that you had one of those! EXCELLENT specimen of a machine! :wh:

Don

• Like 2

squonk

Can't believe you didn't "need" chains to plow all of those leaves! :teasing-poke:

2011_1115LEAVES20120007.JPG

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 7

davem1111
25 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Agreed. I think sometimes truthfulness and transparency is your best bet... especially in cases where people aren't too attached to the item... :)

If it is really in "his way" ...100$ might be pretty darn appealing!!!

Don

It's kinda funny, my wife always tells me to keep my eyes on the road when she's in the car with me.  But she isn't always.... and I do look around maybe a bit more than I should, but then I see things like this.  

IMG_0181.jpeg.4a7a8d1824864b47241aef24ba0e0f8e.jpeg

I don't intend to stop looking around...  :banana-linedance:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Goldnboy

Right now I am just cringing at the sight of that muffler stack with no rain cap.....

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

davem1111
5 minutes ago, Goldnboy said:

Right now I am just cringing at the sight of that muffler stack with no rain cap.....

Yikes - yes.  Good point.  -$50 on the offer. Or more. :eek:

• Like 1

Moparfanforever
13 minutes ago, Goldnboy said:

Yep , better check on the engine and make sure it is not locked up.

Achto
13 minutes ago, Goldnboy said:

Right now I am just cringing at the sight of that muffler stack with no rain cap

That was my first thought when I saw the pictures. There is a good chance that the engine is locked up from water getting into the cylinder. @davem1111 Did you try to turn it over by hand when you were there?

• Like 1

davem1111
1 minute ago, Achto said:

That was my first thought when I saw the pictures. There is a good chance that the engine is locked up from water getting into the cylinder. @davem1111 Did you try to turn it over by hand when you were there?

No, but I think when I tried moving one of the deck pulleys, I saw the flywheel move a little.  So I doubt it's siezed, but it could be.  Lots of questions, but unless the owner messes with it in the meantime, I won't know till I return from this trip. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

Even if the engine will move, the exhaust valve stem is likely compromised and there may even be oil in the crankcase. This one will need a LOT of work to be brought back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Keep in mind that transmission is likely full of water too, sitting outside.  It would be a good idea to pull the dipstick on the engine and trans both….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

davem1111
37 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Keep in mind that transmission is likely full of water too, sitting outside.  It would be a good idea to pull the dipstick on the engine and trans both….

Another good point.  Unless the rubber shifter boot is in good shape, which is unlikely, but even then it could be a mess.  Thanks!

• Like 1

8ntruck

I agree with @Snoopy11 $200 or $250 max.  BUT, pull the dipsticks first and see if the engine will turn.  If there is water in the oil, or the engine is locked, $100 to $200 range.

Oh, that seat ts not too bad - there are much worse out there.  I think there is a 'Bad Seat' thread somewhere on the forum.

Good luck.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Excellent 1

mrc

all good suggestions and observations per above. maybe take the sparkplug out too before trying to turn it over.  if no water can be seen then i would squirt some marvel mystery oil down there.  

davem1111

Bought the tractor - finally got over there when the guy was home.  He was happy to get $50 for it. B)  I jumper cables on it and the starter spun but the gear didn't kick out to engage with the flywheel, but the engine is not seized.  I didn't have time to load it tonight but it's only about a mile away so I'll get over there within the next few days. Will probably put this aside as a winter project, but I'm likely to be tempted to mess with it after I get 2 other tractors rolling again.

• Excellent 4

oliver2-44

Nice Save :dance:

@davem1111Since your not getting to it immediately , may I suggest you drain the engine and transmission oil and fill them both with diesel or kerosene and let it sit and soak for a few months.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11
15 hours ago, davem1111 said:

He was happy to get $50 for it.

WHOLLY CRAP!

Wow... you couldn't hope for much better of a deal than that! Good one, Dave! :bow-blue:

Don

• Thanks 1

Wheelhorse#1
On 6/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, davem1111 said:

Bought the tractor - finally got over there when the guy was home.  He was happy to get $50 for it. B)  I jumper cables on it and the starter spun but the gear didn't kick out to engage with the flywheel, but the engine is not seized.  I didn't have time to load it tonight but it's only about a mile away so I'll get over there within the next few days. Will probably put this aside as a winter project, but I'm likely to be tempted to mess with it after I get 2 other tractors rolling again.

I could never wait that long before Id have to dig into it. Especially a non runner ,nothing like getting them to fire up for the first time in a long time .Nice find ! 

• Like 2

davem1111
32 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

I could never wait that long before Id have to dig into it. Especially a non runner ,nothing like getting them to fire up for the first time in a long time .Nice find ! 

It will probably not be long.  I got my GT-1848 fixed, so the mowing will go faster with the 48" deck :eusa-dance: - that leaves more "tinker time". B)

• Excellent 2