rustyedge1

Help with Mule Drive question ID ?

rustyedge1

I have three WH machines which all have this type mule drive but none are drilled and threaded for a bolt in the end.

Has anyone seen this type MD before or might it be homemade ? Picked it up at auction as is with guard but the shaft seems too short for the guard to fit up right ? 

Thanks in advance for any info.

E048B391-570F-489D-8107-09750296B4A1_1_201_a.jpeg

E1120081-7B88-4B36-BB50-20B5AF5E52EA_1_201_a.jpeg

D63D5EF9-B0C9-4170-9E99-3A1051193957_1_201_a.jpeg

• Confused 1

c-series don

I have many mule drives and I have never seen one with a threaded hole in the shaft. Also, I could be wrong but it looks like the pulleys are far out on the shaft? 

• Like 1

peter lena

@rustyedge1  looks like a combination of things , quite possibly a homemade combo, never had a belt guard on it? how does this match up to another one ? they are basically very simple , spacer placement and pulley type make it work . that belt guard with a close, spacer / nut , is regular set up . I replace those original pulleys , with new type , wide rubber side shields , letting me change over to a hi temp grease , insuring no whining noise or failure . just my own experience, pete 

• Like 1

Darb1964

I think that is one someone allowed the pulleys to wear through the shaft. Them did what they had to so it could be used. I have one around, that I picked up with some other stuff that is about halfway cut through.

• Like 3

peter lena

@Darb1964  that makes sense , you would have to refit it for use , pete

• Like 1

rustyedge1

Thanks all for the input.

Haven't had the chance to compare with the others, using both 48" decks but will look at the B80 tomorrow as I was thinking about using parts off this one or leave it as is and use as spare. I think that the spacer is too large in width. Posting another photo with the spacer off. Shaft looks okay to me.

70C09819-3832-4495-8B78-E225C2B3BCF2_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3

rustyedge1

Afternoon almost 

I've had a chance to remove the B80 mule drive and compare. 

I used a thinner spacer thinking that would help and it did but the pulleys were too close to each other to suit me anyway.

I measured each shaft the best I could and they are pretty much the same length but with different space from the frame ( see arrows )

Also the shafts are not located in the same position. I checked the other machines I have and the mule drives are like the B80.

The bearings are a bit noisy on the drive in question. Shaft may have been drilled and threaded to add a both and lock washer to secure ail nut ??

Always liked a mystery. Adding more pics..

C5C4D1BA-E313-4E56-859E-985D4F9DB480_1_201_a.jpeg

92D39F3D-D829-4776-B24C-74D9CB77892B_1_201_a.jpeg

A6D591E5-FE06-49B7-9864-313C1037463B_1_201_a.jpeg

6927B8BF-D161-4857-884A-FCB09C4E9FB4_1_201_a.jpeg

1B8800B1-C76F-4C96-8E42-AD71F053C471_1_201_a.jpeg

squonk

Lowell has pullies to replace those for not much more than the bearings themselves. I would replace them anyway because of all the pitting.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product-category/pulley-idlers/

• Like 1

peter lena

@rustyedge1 bearings are a bit noisy?  you can pick up a new pair of pulleys on the net or on this site , highly recommended  getting  the  pulleys with the bearings with WIDE RUBBER SIDE SHIELDS , there is your make it bombproof opportunity . pocket screwdriver , carefully remove side shields , wipe out existing " grease " flush with carb cleaner , repack same amount of lucas x tra heavy duty , hi temp 560 , polyurea , anti sling grease . tell me how smooth and quiet that is . done that on my entire deck bearing set up . that angular mule drive , really cooks those bearings , the lucas stays with it , just an idea , all my decks are whining  free , solid and quiet . lots of hours , pete 

• Like 1

Lee1977

That's not the first thing that came wrong from the factory.  We have see fan gears welded 15 degrees off center.  It's defiantly factory some owner may have changed it. 

• Like 1