Jacob S

Axle seal leaking

Jacob S

I noticed a week ago my rear axle was leaking. I took both of the wheels off and the axle can move back-and-forth should that do that? Is the axle seal Bad? If anyone could help thanks.

0E8B6A5B-BAB2-4321-9FE2-0E31B538BDC4.jpeg

Skwerl58

A little back and forth is normal but you should have no up and down. The great ones will be on shortly to respond.

daveoman1966

Ideally, the axle should not move in/out more than 1/16 or 1/8"  It ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT move up/down or back/forth at all.  If it does, that is a sign of worn out axle bearing which will require tear-down to correct.  

To replace the seal, remove the HUB...using a Hub Puller...similar to this:    DO NOT bang on it with a hammer of any sort.  

Once you bet the hub off, use a drywall screw to pierce the metal housing of the seal and pull it out taking care to NOT damage the axle at all.  When replacing the seal, put a piece of tape over the KEYWAY SLOT of the axle to prevent cutting the seal...as weell as to clean up ALL rust and grime from the axle.  Smear some grease on the rubber seal and slide it along the axle shaft into position, then tap in place with a PVC pipe of the same OD of the seal.       

HUB PULL DAL (2).jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 8
  • Excellent 1

Jacob S

Thank you I’ll will do that