Jrain

Starter drive needed

Jrain

I am helping a friend out who has a B-80   , apparently the starter drive gear needs to be replaced , their is only 2 teeth left on the gear , the starter actuates in and out  and spins ,it also looks like every thing aligns and fully engages correctly , my question is, what and why would this happen , also as far as getting a replacement  drive gear or drive kit to install  ,where would be a good source to get one , Kohler engine  SPEC 181s 30461d  ,  I believe it is a 1974 B-80  4spd ( model # 1-014 is all I can see on the ID tag. 

rmaynard

New and used K181 starters can be had on eBay pretty reasonably. My last new K241 starter was only around $50.

• Like 1

ri702bill

It is my understanding that the Bendix assembly is out of production and NLA. As @rmaynard mentioned, aftermarket complete new starters (made in the "offshore" facility) are available - search the Forum past postings - I recall there being issues with the fit on the K181 engines with the location of the holes; they are a direct replacement for the larger block 10 HP and up.

ri702bill
46 minutes ago, Jrain said:

my question is, what and why would this happen

If the Bendix drive is dirty, the linear motion is sluggish, allowing the starter to spin with the drive only partially engaged. Then bad things happen...

• Like 3

peter lena

@Jrain what ever you come up with , use a dry graphite lubrication spray with it . makes it work easy with no mess. pete

• Like 2

squonk

8 HP starter is different than 10 HP and up. Bolts that mount it are above the starter as opposed to under it on the big blocks. I have a spare one here if you need it

• Like 2

Jrain
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

New and used K181 starters can be had on eBay pretty reasonably. My last new K241 starter was only around $50.

I did look at everything I could find as far as aftermarket e-bay , amazon . nothing I saw had 16 teeth on the gear . 

Jrain

Nothing I see comes close to what I have ,  is a small starter and has 16 teeth on the gear , every thing I see is 10 tooth 

Jrain

Thank for the link , that might work but , shaft looks a bit long ,also I can see possible issues with that bracket design . 

Jrain

Thank you to all once again for all the info and help  ,and A Special BIG Thanks to Squonk  for getting me the part I needed .

• Like 3