pacer

Scut, Cut. type small tractors with FEL and the awful steering -- EPAS!

pacer

This "Electric Power Assist Steering" -- (EPAS) has been tackled before -- by me! 

I have a ...CUT? Mitsubishi (compact utility tractor?) with a FEL and had successfully added a unit off a '14 Hyundai - but as with first attempts at a Mod this complicated, I made some fatal errors, and they eventually gave out some 3-4 months ago. But it lasted something over 3 yrs and was a joy to use!! I had used roll pins at 2 points on the steering shaft and I quickly realised that the tremendous force on the front tires when striking something and the jerking on the shaft --- well, a roll pin just wouldnt hold up. You probably heard an old farmer say "never leave you thumb hooked in a steering wheel when driving!!"

So a few weeks ago I ordered up a COMPLETE steer unit off a Toyota Prius - all wiring cnx, and u joints for $140. This unit is being rated highly by antique car and dune buggy folks etc. By having the added pieces that are normally attached to these units I was able to fabricate a much ... healthier? steering, using splined shafts (No roll pins!!) My steer shaft is awfully short and it was a pain to the the drive motor sandwiched between the dash and steering wheel. (If any of you are lucky enough to have longer shafts, then it simplifies things greatly)

I finished the 'mock' up of every thing yesterday and when everything ckd out I rough connected the wires to the EPAS and it worked!! YEAH!! Now I have to get the fuel tank and wiring and dash, etc all back together --- and hope my calculations were correct!

I took a couple pics of the mount up, I wanted to point out the bracing of the motor connecting to the tranny as tieing down the motor very stoutly is critical to hold that thing when you hit that ... whatever?, it puts tremendous force on the motor.

This is not a ...weekend mod, Its pretty complicated and, at least in my case, involved a lot of labor. But the end results can be VERY rewarding, having power steering with a bucket load of dirt bout as easy as a car.

1449572461_MitsuEPAS3jpg.jpg.2c05ff6e9a65e751d5c26640754083a4.jpg801936221_MitsuEPAS.jpg.09a9f57cda07726fb06c78d436acc58d.jpg

Mitsu EPAS 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

sjoemie himself

This looks very interesting.

All you need for this to work is the physical input of the steering wheel and one 12V connection?

pacer
17 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

the physical input of the steering wheel and one 12V connection?

Well, actually you need the typical 12v +/- heavy wire conx for the primary load carrying. but if you look closely at the VERY small orange colored wire, this is wired to the switch and when the sw throws 12v to it that activates a .....small control box? (Computer?) and the motor goes into assist mode.....

• Thanks 1

DavidP

I just bought a setup out of a Nissan Versa that I'm putting in my D200.

Inspired by your install.

pacer
On 5/26/2022 at 6:46 PM, DavidP said:

I'm putting in my D200

Actually my first intro to this type steering (EPAS) was some 4-5 yrs ago when I decided to put a Saturn unit in my D180, and, It worked! -- for a short time! Getting that thing tucked under the dash was  .... fun:scared-eek: Turns out the Saturn set-up was flawed - I went to every wrecking yard in town and ended up buying 7 of them and they all failed (thank goodness I was paying less than $50 for em) So after weeks of frustration, I threw in the towel.

My primary goal was to see if the EPAS system was a viable method and the short time the Saturn unit worked did prove the out> My untimate goal was to adapt one to the Mitsubishi shown in the post. And I had wonderful success with that, installing a unit out of a '14 Hyundai, which worked flawlessly for some 4 yrs when ---- It just quit!! And having had a load of gravel just delivered and then trying to work with the bucket full and no power steering.... well I quickly decided I had to get that EPAS back!! Wit a bit of research I settled on a unit out of a Prius (ebay for $140) which had everything stil attached to it - the Hyundai didnt! and that eased the install a good bit. But, getting that thing to fit in those CLOSE confines ... well its quite a feat!!

Good luck with your install and let us -- (ME) know how it turns out.... That Versa unit has a good rating!

• Like 1

DavidP
On 5/30/2022 at 2:28 PM, pacer said:

Actually my first intro to this type steering (EPAS) was some 4-5 yrs ago when I decided to put a Saturn unit in my D180, and, It worked! -- for a short time! Getting that thing tucked under the dash was  .... fun:scared-eek: Turns out the Saturn set-up was flawed - I went to every wrecking yard in town and ended up buying 7 of them and they all failed (thank goodness I was paying less than $50 for em) So after weeks of frustration, I threw in the towel.

My primary goal was to see if the EPAS system was a viable method and the short time the Saturn unit worked did prove the out> My untimate goal was to adapt one to the Mitsubishi shown in the post. And I had wonderful success with that, installing a unit out of a '14 Hyundai, which worked flawlessly for some 4 yrs when ---- It just quit!! And having had a load of gravel just delivered and then trying to work with the bucket full and no power steering.... well I quickly decided I had to get that EPAS back!! Wit a bit of research I settled on a unit out of a Prius (ebay for $140) which had everything stil attached to it - the Hyundai didnt! and that eased the install a good bit. But, getting that thing to fit in those CLOSE confines ... well its quite a feat!!

Good luck with your install and let us -- (ME) know how it turns out.... That Versa unit has a good rating!

It was your D180 install that inspired me.

My D200 has been stuffed in the garage for a few years because of other projects and I was on the fence on whether to sell it or not.

This year I finally started on it and have bearing taking it apart to fix her up good.

The electric steering, foot pedal control, and the front axle upgrade to heims and hubs are in process.

Will post some pics as I go along.

Edited by DavidP
edit