S416-8

I bought it !

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the best side, and the best forum on the net!  That’s a great worker machine :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

kpinnc
1 hour ago, S416-8 said:

Open for ideas, what I need to look at before using etc.. always wanted but never owned one of these machines!

Clean it up, change oil and filters for the engine and gear lube in the transmission, lube everything that has a grease zerk.

Then you can start picking it over. Welcome to the sickness! :thumbs:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

S416-8

Thanks.. one day I had a dream of a loader 
what snowblower would be best for these machines ?

• Like 1

davem1111
8 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Clean it up, change oil and filters for the engine and gear lube in the transmission, lube everything that has a grease zerk.

Then you can start picking it over. Welcome to the sickness! :thumbs:

These are sweet machines! :wh:

I'll add:  Take a look at all the belts, and make sure your rubber shifter boot is good. If it's not and the tractor has been sitting outside, it will likely have water in the transmission oil. Dipstick under the seat... milky gear oil not good. I have a 1989 416-8 up on blocks with the trans off right now because of this...

Make sure your deck spindles aren't wobbly.  Oh, and is the steering column tight and solid?  

I have dreams of loaders, tillers, and maybe snowblowers (but I have a gravel driveway...).   I have the same front blade. Sure comes in handy.

• Like 3

S416-8

thanks for all the pointers extremely helpful

• Like 2

roadapples

:WRS:

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

Achto

Sweet tractor.:handgestures-thumbupright:

One thing to think about. A loader does not come on & off real easy and it will render most other implements unusable. (mower deck, snow blower, push blade) these can not be installed when the loader is on the tractor. 

Enjoy your new machine.

• Like 9

S416-8

GM and thanks.. first things will be wheel weights, chains, etc.. may look for a snowblower so right now trying to find out which is the correct one for the tractor. After that we'll see where it goes..

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

:WRS:  I hope you enjoy the site. As you can see lots of help here. Enjoy it when done.

• Like 2

953 nut

This list will give you the attachments that are a direct fit for your 416-8. With some modification other implements can be adapted also.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

squonk
1 hour ago, S416-8 said:

GM and thanks.. first things will be wheel weights, chains, etc.. may look for a snowblower so right now trying to find out which is the correct one for the tractor. After that we'll see where it goes..

Don't know where in NY you are but there is a tall shoot blower for sale in Rochester on FB MP

• Like 3

Pullstart
10 hours ago, S416-8 said:

Thanks.. one day I had a dream of a loader 
what snowblower would be best for these machines ?

19 minutes ago, squonk said:

Don't know where in NY you are but there is a tall shoot blower for sale in Rochester on FB MP

Some argue that snow load dictates what style blower you’d appreciate the most.  Single stage tall shoot or two stage… either way I believe if you keep ‘em loaded up with snow they perform best!

• Like 4

Handy Don
13 hours ago, S416-8 said:

I just bought this at an auction. Will pic it up next week and then it will begin: will I restore it, what cool stuff can I add that "I need??" Maybe a loader?? I picked up the plow in the background as well. Open for ideas, what I need to look at before using etc.. always wanted but never owned one of these machines!

Welcome.

This post has the result of a collaboration of members and their ideas of what to do when starting on an new-to-you machine. The post has the list and links to Word and PDF versions of the document in the Files.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

S416-8

Thanks everyone.. my pic up day changed to next week. It does run and drive but I bought this sight unseen based on all the pics.. I'll look for the blower thanks..

Can I call foul on the pics.. now I want 2 one with the loader and another for everything else... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Horse Newbie
11 hours ago, WHX?? said:

I would say a tall chute single would be the best blower. @Achto pretty much nailed it about needing a single use tractor for a FEL. 

Some aspirations here for your new addiction. 

20211010_094624.jpg

20200529_113108.jpg

@WHX??… slick move… looks like something I would do !

Posting those pics of your awesome Wheel Horses to “ inspire” @S416-8

:laughing-rolling:

Oh, and :text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:!!!!  @S416-8

Thats a nice machine you have there…

I have thoroughly enjoyed my membership at the Redsquare… you will be glad you came !

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
11 minutes ago, S416-8 said:

Thanks everyone.. my pic up day changed to next week. It does run and drive but I bought this sight unseen based on all the pics.. I'll look for the blower thanks..

Can I call foul on the pics.. now I want 2 one with the loader and another for everything else... 

He’s been infected !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

S416-8

is it treatable ? Don't even have it yet and found myself looking at a sparkling 520 package .. if I was restoring the house ??????   

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

roadapples

And so it begins....

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

SylvanLakeWH
11 minutes ago, S416-8 said:

is it treatable ?

Yes.

Buy another one…

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 5

WHX??
15 minutes ago, S416-8 said:

bought this sight unseen based on all the pics.. 

Word of warning they always do look better in pics but if the price is right..... 

47 minutes ago, S416-8 said:

Yes you can.... now you know why some of us have 2 or 10 :wh: ... I know I don't :hide: :lol:

Got real real bad news for ya .... ya get hooked on workin tractors ...... then the vintage ones... :doh:

20211014_182456-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 3

S416-8

wow

• Haha 5

Achto
40 minutes ago, S416-8 said:

wow

1 hour ago, S416-8 said:

is it treatable ?

Got my first :wh: in 2014, & 8yrs later the count is up to 16. This pic of my 12 out of 14 running tractors is from one year ago.:D

IMG_20210829_102441853.jpg.bcd3ad97e1c55e6c3a0c4b5cde4581e3.jpg

Current status is 14 out of 16 that are turn key. The only treatment for the :wh: addition is an understanding significant other and a BIG garage. :lol:

BTW, I'm in the market for a bigger garage.:ROTF:

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5