peterluce@treasurestatefu

16-38 HXL transmission issue

peterluce@treasurestatefu

Press pedal to move forward and tractor jerks forward slowly and gradually comes up to speed and works on flat ground once warm. Can't go up any incline. Acts like the transmission is slipping. I can back up incline with no problem. Any Ideas?

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS: Don't get too many guys from MT but welcome. 

Check the drive belt  and there is an idler under there that wears out so check that. Check the linkage as well might be something as simple as an adjustment. 

These were considered to be a disposable mower when the 20 year age mark was reached.

It will have either a Techy Peerless or Hydro-Gear transaxle depending on year. Some were a gear jammer as well. 

Parts can still be had thru Toro dealers or on line but betting they be quite proud of some parts. 

The good news is there were so many of these made and sold so parts tractors are a plenty. At least in this area. 

I have one that came with the Missus but has served us well since 2001 and still a daily mower. 

Here is everything I have on the mower. You'll find a good hydro repair manual in there. 

492-3301 XL Wiring Demystification.pdf 492-4734 Toro XL-Series SM.pdf 492-4735 Hydro-Gear 310-0510 SM.pdf 5587c2de211d5_3323-534_2000_16-38XL__16-38XLe_IPL_Wiring.pdf Hydro-Gear 318-0510 IPL.pdf Tractor 2001 16-38XL Lawn tractor 71223 Recycler Details & Attachments.pdf

Edited by WHX??
speeling
  • Like 4

roadapples

:WRS: