Handy Don

Opinions on mower decks for an 854

Handy Don

I'm looking to put a mower deck on my 854. Right now it has the standard-for-its-time pedal-actuated "straight down" PTO.

From researching the compatibility chart, I see that these 36" decks are compatible:

• 5-2361 36" Rotary Mower
  • RM-3662 36" Rotary Mower
  • RM-363 36" Rotary Mower
  • RM-364 36" Rotary Mower
  • RM-366 36" Rotary Mower
  • RM-367 36" Rotary Mower

I'm not really excited about the 5-2361 thru RM-364 since I'm not really a fan of the box-ended style, but that may just be the look turning me off and I just need educating :lol:. And, frankly, I'm hesitant about all of the two-blade, geared cross-shaft models for durability and noise as well as parts availability. :unsure:

I've also read here that there are newer, belt-on-the-deck models that can be fitted to short-wheelbase tractors but that you need the engine-mounted PTO and a front mule. Anyone taken that on that can share how it was done?

The area I'll be mowing is not large, a scant ¼ acre, but is pretty convoluted so an RD that gets me close on both sides will make it a lot easier. My goal is to run mulching blades if at all possible.

Any advice, guidance, warnings, horror stories, or offers to sell are most welcome! PM me if you don't want to air dirty laundry publicly, of course. 

Thanks everyone!

• Like 2

squonk

I don't know of any  "belt on the deck" mowers that will fit under a short frame tractor. One thing to note is the difference between the mid hitch and mounting the front mule is different on a shortie and a long frame tractor. I also think say a 42"SD deck will interfere with the wheels when turning.

The older gear drive decks give a great cut when the blades are in good condition. Finding a quiet one can be a challenge. I searched for years. I finally got a pretty quiet  one but it still rattled until I put some brand new blades on it that I found here in the classifieds. Now I can hardly tell it's running! If you have to go with the gear drive deck and you are going to use it all the time, I suggest looking for some parts decks to stockpile parts. The gears and the jack shaft bearing and stantions are wear items. If you're going to work on one of these decks, get lots of rags

This is how my lawn looks after a fresh GD cut.

IMG_20220422_170459600_HDR.jpg.23996af41da7dfadba07a0796a7eea00.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

clueless
35 minutes ago, squonk said:

I don't know of any  "belt on the deck" mowers that will fit under a short frame tractor. One thing to note is the difference between the mid hitch and mounting the front mule is different on a shortie and a long frame tractor. I also think say a 42"SD deck will interfere with the wheels when turning.

The older gear drive decks give a great cut when the blades are in good condition. Finding a quiet one can be a challenge. I searched for years. I finally got a pretty quiet  one but it still rattled until I put some brand new blades on it that I found here in the classifieds. Now I can hardly tell it's running! If you have to go with the gear drive deck and you are going to use it all the time, I suggest looking for some parts decks to stockpile parts. The gears and the jack shaft bearing and stantions are wear items. If you're going to work on one of these decks, get lots of rags

This is how my lawn looks after a fresh GD cut.

IMG_20220422_170459600_HDR.jpg.23996af41da7dfadba07a0796a7eea00.jpg

Mike you know which model deck is on Little Red?

squonk
34 minutes ago, clueless said:

Mike you know which model deck is on Little Red?

It's been a long time Chris. I had more than one deck on it too. I know at one time there was an RM 324 on it. Shoot a pic of it if you can.

That's an RM-363 in the 1075 in my pic.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
2 hours ago, squonk said:

The older gear drive decks give a great cut when the blades are in good condition. Finding a quiet one can be a challenge.

I rebuilt the 36 inch gear drive deck a while back with a new spindle, new blades, and new bearings on my 876 and it got really quiet with not much of a difference in sound if the deck is engaged or not and it does give a great cut :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Handy Don  only advise I  can give you is lubrication related , use the lucas  x-tra heavy duty chassis grease in those spindle bearings and related heat up areas. have repacked even new bearings , to verify a hi temp grease , also anti sling polyurea rated and a 560 drop temp point . bearings are very quiet and no whining. also repacked my mule drive bearings , no noise , only a suggestion , pete  

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

only advise I  can give you is lubrication related

Preaching to the choir here Peter! Already have these and use them whenever I touch a bearing. Even got a can of the aerosol Lucas Red for getting into those really tight spots. Just repacked some brand new front wheel bearings, for example. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2