tractorhogg

Wheel Horse D-160 hydro filter

tractorhogg

I tried doing a cross reference, but when they gave me 100 different filters I was worried that all would fit, but most wouldn't be right, Can someone tell me the Wx/NAPA filter to use? Thanks

gwest_ca

Click on the picture in this link

• Like 1

daveoman1966

squonk

Napa and Wix filters are fine. Wix 51410  Napa 1410

Edited by squonk

tractorhogg
10 minutes ago, squonk said:

Napa and Wix filters are fine. Wix 51410  Napa 1410

gwest sent me a manual that said the correct filter was 51512

squonk

A 51512 or Napa 1521 is an engine oil filter with a bypass in it. You do not want that. I was in the auto part biz for 10 years. The cross reference info available is as only as good as the person who punched the info in. My Napa Prolink says the same thing but use the 1410

• Like 2

tractorhogg
6 hours ago, squonk said:

A 51512 or Napa 1521 is an engine oil filter with a bypass in it. You do not want that. I was in the auto part biz for 10 years. The cross reference info available is as only as good as the person who punched the info in. My Napa Prolink says the same thing but use the 1410

gwest sent me this file, it says the 51512 is the number for the hydro filter. I assume this information is incorrect. 

squonk

The cross reference isn't correct for this application. Not the first time I've seen this happen. You can use the 1521 and 99.9% of the time you won't have a problem. It has the same thread and gasket as the 1410. Use what you want. But 100's of us use the  1410. Read what it says in the link Gary sent you. It says the preferred filter is the 1410

Achto

Top line on that page in bold letters.

The preferred transmission filter for all models is a Wix 51410 or Napa 1410 because it does not have a by-pass valve

• Like 2

tractorhogg
47 minutes ago, Achto said:

Top line on that page in bold letters.

The preferred transmission filter for all models is a Wix 51410 or Napa 1410 because it does not have a by-pass valve

Thank you

• Like 1

tractorhogg
54 minutes ago, squonk said:

The cross reference isn't correct for this application. Not the first time I've seen this happen. You can use the 1521 and 99.9% of the time you won't have a problem. It has the same thread and gasket as the 1410. Use what you want. But 100's of us use the  1410. Read what it says in the link Gary sent you. It says the preferred filter is the 1410

I don't mind buying another filter, I'd rather use the best one for the application, thanks, it was just confusing on my end

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I recall a veteran in the old Yahoo Group making a statement that makes sense.

When the 1410 filter gets plugged up the tractor slows down because there is no bypass valve to allow sufficient oil through to meet demand. Replace filter and you are back in business.

When a filter with a bypass valve plugs up the valve opens and allows unfiltered oil into the hydro and when it gets weak the tractor slows down or stops because it is worn out. Replace transmission and you are back in business.

Which would you prefer? 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1