1974 D-180

1974 D-180 seized hydrostatic release

1974 D-180

I had recently picked up a 1974 D-180 for $50 a couple weeks ago. There is a sticker on the left side of the machine that says turn screw one turn to the left to release the hydrostatic drive, and then turn one turn to the right to engage it again. The problem is that mine doesn’t turn at all. I have tried putting pb blaster on it everyday for about a week, but to no avail. I am not sure if I could heat it up with a torch to try to loosen it up, but I don’t know what seals are behind it I could damage. This is my first wheel horse d, so I am not really sure what the best way to un-seize it would be.

pacer

Well, unfortunately they can be a REAL booger to get loose. There were 2 types that I know of, a slotted one - for a flat blade screwdriver that was usually wallowd out - and one with a 3/8 square head- use a 3/8 socket extension reversed, they were usually easier to get a good grip on.

I had a slotted one that I ended up removing the unit and getting it on the bench with a pipe wrench to break loose - I welded a 9/16 nut on it when I got it off :thumbs2: 

Youre not likely to hurt it, its just a simple seated seal - Loke a brake bleeder.

squonk

Not knowing how much room there is on a D but a 10" pipe wrench is usually small enough to get on it and give a good grip

Ed Kennell

Take the left wheel off and use a pipe wrench like Mike says.

• Like 1

1974 D-180

The style I have on mine is the flat head screw kind. It actually isn’t wallowed out, and fits a screwdriver tight. I just can’t get it to turn because I don’t have enough leverage. I could put a flat head screwdriver socket on a ratchet if that would help.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

squonk

You would probably break the screwdriver bit. Small pipe wrench is the answer as far as getting a good grip on it.

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA
24 minutes ago, 1974 D-180 said:

The style I have on mine is the flat head screw kind. It actually isn’t wallowed out, and fits a screwdriver tight. I just can’t get it to turn because I don’t have enough leverage. I could put a flat head screwdriver socket on a ratchet if that would help.

Mine broke loose after fishing through a very long screwdriver such that the handle barely cleared the battery on the C160 allowing it to line up in the slot.  I put vise grips on the screwdriver shaft back there where it was accessible and used one hand to apply axial pressure and one to rotate the vice grips/screwdriver.  Now, I had tried that a time or two before to no avail.  Why it finally let loose when it did I have no idea.  Divine intervention, perhaps?  Consider praying.

roadapples

I used vise grips instead of pipe wrench 

squonk

I tried Vise Grips once and all it did was chew on the valve.  :hide:  A good Rigid pipe wrench grips tighter the harder you pull. :banana-wrench:

• Like 2

pacer

Fellas .... this is a "D" model and you cannot get in there with pipe wrenches/vise grips/etc. You are limited to a big screw driver or the inverted 3/8 socket extension mentioned. The screw driver can, and usually does, turn into a booger!

See if you can get a long enough ext on an impact driver and whack the &*^%^ out of it!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, pacer said:

you cannot get in there with pipe wrenche

Sorry, I never had a "D".     Got any pics of the area?     Any room to weld on a nut?

pacer
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Any room to weld on a nut?

Not with it in place on the tractor .... As I mentioned earlier, once I had mine on the bench and could get a pipe wrench on it it came loose ... grudgingly, When loose it removes easily and I did braze a 9/16 nut on it while it was off. The slot for the screw driver was so beat up it was totally useless anyway!

• Like 2