Titan

Bronco 14 hydro no reverse

Titan

I just acquired a 71(I think) bronco 14 auto with hydraulics and sunstrand tranny. Engine runs great after tuneup and iil change. I drained and refilled ATF in tranny and replaced filter. Forward works great, however, refusss to move in reverse. I checked linkages and no slop, plastic swash (?) Plate in one piece and apoears to shift tranny from fwd to reverse without a problem. I dont know a check valve from an accelerstion valve but it appears thats next to be checked out. Afraid to pull valves out as my luck when back together I wont have forward or reverse!! Just finished reviewing 624 posts and found nothing relating to this issue. Adding a few pics of top of trans. Any help is greatly appreciated!! 

20220511_113258.jpg

20220511_112731.jpg

20220511_112720.jpg

• Like 1

gt14rider

This is from 1970 gt14, but is very similar to bronco 14. The springs fail, if so one of are venders sells them.

Screenshot_20220511-215632_Gallery.jpg

IMG_20190217_170450910.jpg

IMG_20190217_165419585.jpg

• Excellent 1

roadapples

:WRS:

daveoman1966

If FWD is ok...but REV is not, likely cause is a failed REV valve. Components are often broken (spring 7052 & 'nail' 7051). 

Here is a reference point to repair. 

I have some of these parts...but not the spring # 7052 and my spare  CONE of the circled valve is 'iffy'.   

220 063a1.jpg

220 056A.jpg

220 048.JPG

• Excellent 2

Titan

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will pull it out and post pics as soon as possible.

• Thanks 1

daveoman1966
3 hours ago, Titan said:

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will pull it out and post pics as soon as possible.

You'll have to remove the tool box to access the valve in back. Take care to NOT damage any of the hyd lines.   

Titan

Hi Again, I just got back to the Bronco this morning. I also printed the Sunstrand manual, however, the pictures leave alot to be desired. I have no reverse and would like to pull out and check the reverse valve. The manual talks about acceleration valves, check valves, and charge valves. Can someone point out which valve from these pictures is the reverse valve? I am leaning towards the

large headed bolt on the pump end cap closest to the front of the tractor. Or, second guess, the large headed bolt adjacent to the toolbox. I hate to pull them all out as nothing is leaking and don't want to create additional problems. Thanks in advance for the education!

forward valves.jpg

rear valves.jpg

daveoman1966

Can you confirm that this PLASTIC is NOT broken, and that it travels UP / DOWN smoothly & unrestricted.  

You MUST also confirm that the CAM LEVER behind this travels fully LEFT and RIGHT. 

(((If not, this plastic (nylon) part is shot.))) 

That LEFT/RIGHT action is what directs the system oil flow...from forward to reverse..    

226 046.JPG

Titan

The plastic piece is nor broken or excessively worn, travels unrestricted up and down, and the cam travels smoothly and fully from lleft to right. Thanjs, still searching...

953 nut

Parts 1 through 8 in this drawing are the REVERSE Acceleration Valve. The forward Acceleration Valve is located at the back of the pump head. 

654478242_Screenshot(41).png.38f1473fe11252784385283a6d3bac4c.png

Edited by 953 nut

Titan

Outstanding! Thanks very much! I will pull the valve on monday and update post with findings.

Titan

Went over to do battle with tranny this morning. Since its been a few days decided to recheck everything before pulling out trans valve(s). I removed nylon cam plate and examined closely, no wear or damage. Began to think about push valve staring me in the face. I tried to move it open or close and was able to turn it closed by about 45 degrees. Turned the engine over while in reverse and it wanted to go!! Put her all back together, started her up and now have forward and reverse! I guess yrs ago prev owner left push valve open and it froze that way.  Thrilled I didnt have to remove any trans valves!

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
8 hours ago, Titan said:

push valve staring me in the face.

Good spotting and nicely done!