Mike C160

New to me C160 Auto

Darb1964

I acquired one last year and have yet to get it out this spring. Mine needs some TLC but seems to be a very sound tractor. I'm out straight seems lately but it's been on my mind. Interested in responses.

IMG_20210423_170733.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

The mid 70s Transmissions are a Sundstrand. 

General consensus is they are excellent when maintained. 

Change the oil and filter. Install a magnetic drain plug to catch fine metal filings. 

Watch for leaks around the hydraulic cylinder and valve. Keep an eye on the hoses. 

Wheelhorse Parts and More sells kits and hoses, both. 

Look at the drive engagement mechanism to check for wear between all the components. 

They are rebuildable. 

@daveoman1966 has posted info about that.  

Very nice looking tractor!

• Like 5

Mike C160
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The mid 70s Transmissions are a Sundstrand. 

General consensus is they are excellent when maintained. 

Change the oil and filter. Install a magnetic drain plug to catch fine metal filings. 

Watch for leaks around the hydraulic cylinder and valve. Keep an eye on the hoses. 

Wheelhorse Parts and More sells kits and hoses, both. 

Look at the drive engagement mechanism to check for wear between all the components. 

They are rebuildable. 

@daveoman1966 has posted info about that.  

Very nice looking tractor!

When you say drive engagement mechanism, do you mean the speed control handle or the system that engages the drive belt?

Im thinking I have to get that cover off and have a look at all that.

Cheers and thanks. :)

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Mike C160 said:

When you say drive engagement mechanism, do you mean the speed control handle or the system that engages the drive belt?

Im thinking I have to get that cover off and have a look at all that.

Cheers and thanks. :)

All of the above. Whatever you can look at to see if there's excessive wear or binding.

Definitely advisable to take the time to remove both the top center cover and the side belt cover.

Underneath the center cover is the pivot point for the handheld fore/ aft motion lever.

There are points on that shaft that DON'T WANT lubrication, but most everything else can be touched with your favorite spray lube or oil.

Under the side belt guard just take a look around in a general check over manner. Take a close look at the belt to determine if replacement is needed.

Pay particular attention to the belt tensioner. Get the belt tension off of that pulley and check it for looseness.

• Like 3

Mike C160

Good info thanks

Is there a service manual posted here for this machine? I did have a look but didnt see one. Found a parts and OM. But a service manual would be ideal.

Cheers

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Mike C160 said:

Good info thanks

Is there a service manual posted here for this machine? I did have a look but didnt see one. Found a parts and OM. But a service manual would be ideal.

Cheers

I'm not exactly the best at searching the manual section.

😀

If you can find one listed for any of the other 1974 to 1977 C-automatic models such as another year 160 or any of the 120, that should be fine.

• Like 1

Mike C160
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm not exactly the best at searching the manual section.

😀

If you can find one listed for any of the other 1974 to 1977 C-automatic models such as another year 160 or any of the 120, that should be fine.

Great thanks.

I think both the speed control and belt tensioner need looked at.

The speed control handle doesnt seem to have a center detent as statement on the OM. And it can be quite touchy. There is also some connection with the brake pedal, if you step on it all the way, it will return the lever to neutral, but if you bump the pedal a little, it will actually make you go a tad faster. So somethings up in there...

..... And then there is this odd spring.... I dont think its supposed to be there...... 

t5.png

• Like 1

ebinmaine
45 minutes ago, Mike C160 said:

odd spring

I remember seeing something about a spring like that on a post on here. I'm pretty new to the hydro tractors. Just picked one up last fall but everything I've had before that is manual transmissions. Someone else should be along to help you out with what that spring actually does. Seems to me it returns the brake pedal to the upward position because there's a broken spring inside the transmission tunnel.

• Like 3

Pullstart

Here’s a search for just C-160 Auto

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=c-160 auto&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

I didn’t find a 1977 C-160 Auto in the manuals per say, here is everything I found for the year.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=1977 c-160&type=downloads_file&page=1&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

sparkie333
3 hours ago, Mike C160 said:

speed control and belt tensioner need looked at.

You have a great tractor there---I have a 1976 C160 Automatic they are real tough tractors. There should be some pictures of mine on here I did a complete take down and repaint it looks good. I'm having trouble loading pictures on here now---When I pick a picture to load it blows up so big it doesn't leave me a place to post it. Good Luck with your tractor.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Very few tractor service manuals published. A 1978-79 manual covers most items

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

There re no brakes on this hydro.  The "brake" pedal merely moves the motion control to neutral.  You can adjust the "touchyness" by tightening the motion control friction and also be a good idea to do a neutral adjustment.  Both are covered in the owners manual

• Like 3

Mike C160

Thanks to those who responded.

All the info here got me going in the right direction. 

Really Appreciate it. What a great community this truly is. 

Cheers!

• Like 4

Mike C160

Just a quick check here..

Can i assume that all the autos use a 7478 belt that is 5/8ths x 85" ?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Sailman

I searched for the C-160 hydro for years and landed a nice one last year. Has the hydro lift also. They are tough tractors and yours looks to be well taken care of. The transmission uses regular 10w30 or 10w40 oil. If its clean looking on the dipstick (not black, sludgy, etc) its probably good to go although trans flush and filter would be part of the maintenance plan. I put a mold board plow behind my 160 and it was a breeze for that tractor. You will enjoy it!

• Like 3

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Mike C160 said:

Thanks.

Not a good assumption. Check the manuals.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Mike C160 said:

Thanks.

Mike check out this post from 

@BOB ELLISON from years past. 

• Like 2

Mike C160

Thanks, 

I found this tidbit of information.  I think I will go with the 7478 5/8ths x 84 belt. Also saw reference to it in an earlier parts manual, I think it was 75.

Cheers

t2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Napa 5L840W

• Like 4

sparkie333

Another bit of FYI  when I first bought my C160 Automatic I was working on this old house a guy was building up--I was doing Heat and Air and Electrical on it but I worked a lot of jobs from place to place for this guy.--when he said he needed to find someone to mow his yard/weed patch really it was waste high in most places. I was not in the business to do that but I told him I would cut it for $100.00 while I was over there and try out my C160 he said ok--So the next day I showed up with it and the fight was on--I think I mowed it 2 times and Maybe a bit of it more than that in some places--it was sure a big weed patch. But the wheel horse C160 did a great job--like I said these are real tough tractors. Good Luck

• Like 3

Mike C160

Next question.

With a belt and oil filter on order, the manual suggests you can used 10w30 or 10x40 for the hydro. 

I thought maybe using 10w40, a wee bit thicker might be best for this older unit. But that might also see a rise in internal pressures. Maybe thats not such a good idea after all and maybe its better to stick with 10w30.

Thoughts?

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Sailman

I have heard others here recommending the 10w40 in the hydro. I have a C-120 hydro that was getting sluggish in reverse when pushed hard with the blade. I switched to the 10w40 and noticed an improvement. That's just my experience but can't suggest its the correct thing to do or not....

• Like 2

sparkie333
20 hours ago, Mike C160 said:

10w30

Hello, my C160 has it posted from the factory right by the dip stick----10w30 and I have never had a problem with this oil.

• Like 2