WheelHorse520H

Looking for something fun to do...

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

don't fix it if it ain't broke

Depends on which of my personalities that you are asking... :lol:

My first inclination is to dig into it and fix everything... (that's my... proactive, not reactive personality).

Then there is the... "Hmm... well... eh... do I... eh... actually have the time...???" (that's my procrastinator personality)...

In other words... yes... I'd go ahead, make the time, and dig in... but that's just my advice... :D

Don

• Like 2

Handy Don

Anything not fixed now will inevitably fail later and really p**s you off that you didn't do it before!

It took me years and lots of frustration to learn this.

• Like 4

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

Anything not fixed now will inevitably fail later and really p**s you off that you didn't do it before!

Perhaps... but I look at it a little differently. Even if there is a HIGH probability that it WON'T fail...  if I am going to take a lot of time and modify something... I want to make sure the basics are taken care of... the machine is in working condition, everything is up to par... wiring is in order... etc... before I start to modify it... that way... nothing on the base machine will cause a failure.

I forget the exact term that resto-mod boys call this... kinda like a "prime candidate" ...or more like a "solid base"

Just taking the time to make SURE... and doing everything in your power to make it a reliable base is all you can really do.

Don

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
29 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

reliable base

Exactly why I asked for opinions. That's how I felt, glad we're on the same page here.

35 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

It took me years and lots of frustration to learn this.

This is an excellent point. Thank you both for the advice. I'll check that stuff out either way so I don't run into any major issues.

I am looking for some colored wire for this (and other projects), does anyone have any suggestions on gauge or I've seen multi-color wire packs?

Thanks

• Like 1

ranger
10 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Exactly why I asked for opinions. That's how I felt, glad we're on the same page here.

This is an excellent point. Thank you both for the advice. I'll check that stuff out either way so I don't run into any major issues.

I am looking for some colored wire for this (and other projects), does anyone have any suggestions on gauge or I've seen multi-color wire packs?

Thanks

This is a good opportunity to further improve your education, Google cable sizes and current carrying chart’s. This will serve you well for future projects.  Good luck with your loader project👍
Doug.

• Like 2

Handy Don

I became frustrated with wire packs—too many unused colors and not enough of what I needed. I now buy longer single rolls  usually 16 or 14 ga stranded. Also got a crimping tool for the connectors—what a a timesaver. I admit I am not fastidious about matching colors to the schematics, though 😛

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

WheelHorse520H
21 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Also got a crimping tool

I bought one about a year ago. Best 40 bucks ever, saves me about 20 minutes and 100 connectors. 

21 hours ago, Handy Don said:

matching colors to the schematics,

That's something that I do want to do. Just to make it easier if something happens down the road.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I know you said you’ve been looking for a used loader for awhile. May I suggest you broaden you search and include loaders for small modern SCUT tractors. I picked up a loader off a 2003 Kubota BX2200. The tractor had been in a fire but the loader was not mounted at the time. So I have the bucket, arms, quick attach post, hydraulic valves, lines and cylinders. The loader is very close in size to a Garden Tractor loader. I will have to build/weld up some a subframe, some mounts and a hydraulic pump but a lot of the work is done. Search tractor salvage yards, 

WheelHorse520H

Thanks @oliver2-44, but I couldn't find any used around here. I could buy a new one for a lot more than it's worth to me or build a custom one for a somewhat more reasonable price. I just need to finish finding out how much it will actually cost me. I appreciate the idea. Most people that have them keep them to clear snow in the winter.

• Like 1

wallfish
6 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Most people that have them keep them to clear snow in the winter.

Garden tractor loaders are not ideal for clearing snow unless you absolutely need to move and pile it up in a certain spot. They work good for moving piles from once place to another but it's still time consuming because of the small size bucket. Put a dozer blade on the front of your tractor If you're just looking to move snow, or money is much better spent on a blower.  Maybe add a bucket type attachment to the dozer blade to move an haul other stuff around the property. :twocents-02cents: