mrc

electric fuel pump

mrc

men,

i have a magnum equipped 312-8.   starts hard. well actually needs a shot of carb clean to help it get going if it has been sitting.  I installed a primer bulb. that did not help. I replaced the fuel pump with a new plastic fuel pump. that did not help. 

soooo... now i'm thinking of electric fuel pump.  which one is the best?  how should I wire it in?  where is the best spot to mount?   I assume I have to remove the mechanical pump. I would think I have to install a blanking plate where the mechanical pump mounted.  does kohler sell these?

thank you

mike in mass.

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

Will be watching with interest as my fuel pump is sitting on the workbench waiting to be installed.   :coffee:

Dan.gerous

Electric fuel pump and the simple version that is currently on a couple of my machines - which also works very well.

20220503_074617.jpg.3e1019f9443ef0be1038aa4d17257178.jpg

20220503_074609.jpg.63521819e7198185d7466bd1740f5957.jpg

20220503_074558.jpg

lynnmor

A primer bulb will fill the carburetor if installed correctly, make sure that it is supplying fuel by disconnecting the fuel line.  Tossing all kinds of fuel pumps won't help if the primer bulb did indeed fill the carburetor, so look for other problems such as a dirt in the carburetor.

• Like 5

Dan.gerous
4 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

A primer bulb will fill the carburetor if installed correctly, make sure that it is supplying fuel by disconnecting the fuel line.  Tossing all kinds of fuel pumps won't help if the primer bulb did indeed fill the carburetor, so look for other problems such as a dirt in the carburetor.

Good point, the bulb could be installed backwards - there is an arrow on it for direction flow.

• Like 2

ri702bill

You do not have to remove the mechanical pump, unless it is the source of an oil leak too. That block off plate was a Kohler part - K161T used on a Troy-bilt Tiller had one.

Check on Fleabay - Kohler block off plate - several folks have them for sale, and must be rather proud of them, judging by the prices...

Bill

Edited by ri702bill

midpack
4 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Electric fuel pump and the simple version that is currently on a couple of my machines - which also works very well.

20220503_074558.jpg

I've had the same pump (HEP-02A) on mine with a different label for at least 5-6 years. $12.00 shipped off eBay :) 

All I did with the existing pump was run a length of fuel line between the connections to keep crud out. Not even sure it was necessary, but cheep ins

• Like 3

Racinbob

I bought a couple of the Ebay cheapies but decided to get a better unit for my 2005 and purchased a Mr. Gasket 42s. I love it especially in the winter when it can sit for longer spells. I mounted it just under the tank on the left side. It needs to be on a circuit that's hot when the ignition is on. A wire was already back there that was for one of the safety gizmos. I made sure it was fused properly and I'm good to go. 

911054683_Hitch3.jpg.e0d4a9e56e5498019978cbc9f6014b62.jpg

I did use one of the cheapies on my 854 and it's working great. :)

• Like 3

953 nut
5 hours ago, mrc said:

shot of carb clean to help it get going if it has been sitting.  I installed a primer bulb. that did not help. I replaced the fuel pump with a new plastic fuel pump. that did not help.

Have you replaced the rubber fuel hose?  As they age a fuel line can develop small cracks that allow air to enter.

I have gone to electric fuel pumps on several of my tractors and am pleased with the results. Mount the pump lower than the fuel tank bottom. Connect the red wire from the pump to your hour meter wire so it will be off when the ignition key is off and is protected by a fuse. As for a specific brand of fuel pump you'll find all sorts of opinions on that, I have had good results with Carbole 2-3.5 PSI pumps found on :techie-ebay:. There are lots of threads on here about electric fuel pumps and the brands people prefer, read them and decide.

• Like 2

peter lena

@mrc  been using a car bole electric pump now , couple of years ,https://www.amazon.com/CarBole-Universal-2-3-5P-S-I-Operating-Self-Priming/dp/B01IR6BNKY/ref=sr_  with very good results , seams like you have other issues  related to starting . I  have also added 5/16  fuel check valve standing vertically just before carb , to hold a fuel charge in the line and carb , https://www.amazon.com/EVIL-ENERGY-Return-Petrol-Aluminium/dp/B07ZB42CGT  , I have 3  magnum 12 ,s , all set up the same way , instant starts , that area just after fuel pump and carb fuel inlet is perfect for that check spot , standing vertically , arrow flow to carb . this set up , constantly works , pete

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

supplying fuel by disconnecting the fuel line

Exactly,  just pull the line off the carb,and crank the engine or pump the primer bulb.     If your existing pump or primer bulb is supplying fuel to the carb, adding another fuel pump will not solve a carb or ignition  problem.

• Like 2

mrc

well I checked the primer bulb and it WAS installed correctly with the arrow pointing towards the carb. I removed the fuel line from the carb and squeezed the bulb, fuel shot out of the line. I removed the float bowl and it was virtually spotless.  i wiped out the bowl and reinstalled it  .i replaced the fuel line from the bulb to the carb because i had to slice it off one of the nipples.  

i waited one week and it started without squeezing the bulb and no carb spray either .   i'll wait a couple more weeks and retry to start

thank you to all who responded. 

mike in mass.   

• Excellent 1

mrc

it has been about 2 weeks and I had to move the tractor today and it started almost as soon as I turned the key.  it has never started that easily.  i'm certainly not complaining!   did not touch the primer bulb and certainly no carb spray.  

thanks again guys!  

Edited by mrc
  • Excellent 1