Dan.gerous

C125 battery holder

Dan.gerous

Evening/morning

Just a quick one, does anyone have a photo of the way the battery in a C125 is secured? All 3 of mine are bodge jobs, wire, bailing twine and bungee.

Did a search on here and a result came up from 2008 but the pictures are missing :-(

Thanks in advance 👍

SylvanLakeWH

I use large black zip ties… 

Never seen a stock set up…

• Like 1

tunahead72

You might get some ideas from this thread:

414-8 battery hold down - Wheel Horse Tractors - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

Stens has a universal hold-down kit that includes the L-hooks, cross bar and wing nuts, pretty reasonably priced:

425-405 Battery Hold Down Kit (stens.com)

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

Looks easy enough to fabricate something similar to the options above - thanks guys, as always!

@SylvanLakeWH Zip ties would be fine, but be nicer to have something more technical :-)

• Like 2

ri702bill
22 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Zip ties would be fine, but be nicer to have something more technical :-)

Talking zip ties???

• Haha 1

Dan.gerous

OK, so what is this, it's bolted in behind the battery and the brown plastic connection sparked then wheelhorse was dead....

20220502_113659.jpg

20220502_113709.jpg

Dan.gerous

Was a bad earth that caused the spark.

peter lena

@Dan.gerous  grounding is a major issue on horses , converted all mine over to a main line grounding set up . add another battery cable , from your battery ground bolt point , behind dash , to corner of engine / frame , next to clutch pedal , use serrated washers and dielectric grease , at every bolt point , from there , use 10-12 ga wire to engine charging rectifier area , and on to headlights . also run 10-12 ga wire directly back to behind dash / gauge area . that simple grounding enhancement , has eliminated erratic  wire issues I had . if you have a single alligator clip heavy ga wire made up , you can easily verify this gain , with clip on . thats what I  did . pete

• Thanks 1

Dan.gerous

Have made a holder out of bits laying about the workshop.

Cut some thread into the bar, fingers crossed that it works.

Red paint reacted to the undercoat, but it's all I have at the moment.

20220502_142152.jpg

20220502_142205.jpg

20220502_142506.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
48 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Dan.gerous  grounding is a major issue on horses , converted all mine over to a main line grounding set up . add another battery cable , from your battery ground bolt point , behind dash , to corner of engine / frame , next to clutch pedal , use serrated washers and dielectric grease , at every bolt point , from there , use 10-12 ga wire to engine charging rectifier area , and on to headlights . also run 10-12 ga wire directly back to behind dash / gauge area . that simple grounding enhancement , has eliminated erratic  wire issues I had . if you have a single alligator clip heavy ga wire made up , you can easily verify this gain , with clip on . thats what I  did . pete

Yes they seem very touchy about earth's - does that cure misfires?

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Yes they seem very touchy about earth's - does that cure misfires?

You can trust your Mother but never your ground (earth):P

Edited by pfrederi
  • Haha 2

Dan.gerous

It's on, had to tweak it a bit but it's very secure :-)

20220502_151447.jpg

20220502_151457.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Dan.gerous
25 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

You can trust your Mother but never your ground (earth):P

Fantastic advice!!

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

All three of the regulators on the C125's look rough.

Is there a modern replacement?

peter lena

@Dan.gerous so the tweaking helped ?  notice a lot of your wiring connections are  replacement  make up ends .ever add a separate ground to your dash area ? the collective different  metal types , are very prone to  corrosion , often giving your wringing  a poor connection . would bet a lot of your issue is poor conductivity at the dash area .your strongest start point is your battery ground cable bolt down point . bolt this type of connection to that bolt ,https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Q%2fxbTfrI&id=1940B4AF359A54DA0B7B6F47883936A9F9A03AFC&thid  for a easy go to secure ground point . your local h/w store should have them in the contractor  electrical section . only a suggestion , pete 

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
38 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Dan.gerous so the tweaking helped ?  notice a lot of your wiring connections are  replacement  make up ends .ever add a separate ground to your dash area ? the collective different  metal types , are very prone to  corrosion , often giving your wringing  a poor connection . would bet a lot of your issue is poor conductivity at the dash area .your strongest start point is your battery ground cable bolt down point . bolt this type of connection to that bolt ,https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Q%2fxbTfrI&id=1940B4AF359A54DA0B7B6F47883936A9F9A03AFC&thid  for a easy go to secure ground point . your local h/w store should have them in the contractor  electrical section . only a suggestion , pete 

I still have a bad earth as its clicking rather than turning over, but havent got any wire on site so will go into town in the morning and implement your changes - might be more questions tomorrow! Its such a huge help as I am an amateur at this stuff, and hate having machines not working properly.

I did wonder about the earth as it goes to the aluminum section of the dash, surely leading it directly to the chassis would be better anyway.

I also see what you mean about the wires, I haven't touched this machine since buying it two years ago, the original owner has quite a few "adjustments" on it. The machine sat next to it is in a similar state, but will work on one at a time!

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
43 minutes ago, peter lena said:

Forgot to ask, how do you add a separate ground to the dash? :-)

WHX??

Lots of threads here Dan on that regulator ...which actually is not a regulator at all but merely a rectifier. Very prone to over charging battery with extended seat time.  They are very expensive over here these days and hen's teeth over there most likely. The general consensus is to replace it wit a cheaper and available three term regulator.

Do a search here on 109313 and you'll find some good poop on replacing it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

roadapples

Clean all ground points with wire brush and coat with dielectric grease. No more problems...

• Like 2

peter lena

@ Dan.gerous , that separate ground is easy ,  go from your battery ground bolt point , to the dash area , then you can  single wire to  all of your gage mounts , bolt , bracket points . that dash dissimilar  metal is the ground culprit ,  when I did that to mine , issues stopped . the bolt on electrical luge info I sent you is a very simple / easy  electrical connection . pete

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
1 minute ago, peter lena said:

@ Dan.gerous , that separate ground is easy ,  go from your battery ground bolt point , to the dash area , then you can  single wire to  all of your gage mounts , bolt , bracket points . that dash dissimilar  metal is the ground culprit ,  when I did that to mine , issues stopped . the bolt on electrical luge info I sent you is a very simple / easy  electrical connection . pete

Will start on that tomorrow, should be able to find most of the bits in town. The Lug is proving difficult, but it's probably called something else over here.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
7 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Looks easy enough to fabricate something similar to the options above - thanks guys, as always!

Do... you actually have a battery holder like this?

Image 1 - Wheel Horse Battery Box Tray

I have that one for auction on ebay...

Don

Dan.gerous
1 minute ago, Snoopy11 said:

Do... you actually have a battery holder like this?

Image 1 - Wheel Horse Battery Box Tray

I have that one for auction on ebay...

Don

Mine have a plastic bottom, but the batteries are too big for the platform anyway.  The new holder is pretty good so will probably build two more for the other horses.