CodyP

Building a towing tractor for my rural area

CodyP

I have a raider 9 with a predator 6.5hp 212cc I bolted on my deer hanger to the hood so I can get out of the mud but if any of you have any ideas of what kind of wench should I put on the back to get cars or trucks unstuck from the snow/mud ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED INCLUDING NEGATIVES 

tractor right.jpg

tractor rightside.jpg

Dan.gerous

Hiya,

I would have mounted the winch somewhere sturdier than the hood, liable to just rip it clean off the tractor. Funnily enough I just picked a winch very similar to that out of the shed this morning and was wondering about mounting it on the front of a wheelhorse.

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1

CodyP

I drilled two holes in the hood and the metal sheet it folds over and put two screws with washers and a nut on the bottom so it holds the hood on while I wench myself out heck I weigh about 130lbs soaking wet so it works I can wench myself out while I am on the tractor but I will create a mounting bracket for the front and the back for actual wenches that one on the hood is just for the tractor looking back I should have said that but it slipped my mind 

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

I incorporated a winch in my hood lift that was needed to fit the tall diesel engine. 

Just my 2cents put I doubt if you are going to be able to pull out cars and trucks with such a light setup. ( raider 9's aren't the heaviest WH's and Those predators are super light.)

I opted for a 3000lbs winch on my C141D

DSC_0314.JPG.775254c78b2f9a2dacc98952261ae60f.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

CodyP

I assumed I would need wheel weights and an engine swap I got the predator on there for mpg I drive my wheel horse to work and I kinda figured I can make a little money pulling cars out with a heavier rig and a sturdier wench I just got the idea from pulling myself out I figured put two wenches on it one in the front one in the back hook the front to a tree and the back to the car and use the wheel horse as a pully instead of a tractor pulling it out 

• Haha 3

Kenneth R Cluley

Saw a thread here recently (picture) with a winch mounted in a "bumper" mounted to front of tractor, used the holes in frame that attach a matic mounted to. Will look for it.

• Like 2

Kenneth R Cluley

New to me but not to red square shows 1054 with winches mounted front and rear.

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

I’d do a 2” hitch receiver on back with a winch plate…

wheelhorsepartsandmore.com has the hitch. Harbor freight etc. have the plates…

Winch mounted to hood will rip right off I would think…

:twocents-twocents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

You may be able to carry a winch to the site of a vehicle that is stuck but you will need the good fortune of finding a properly positioned tree or other immovable object on the correct side of the road to hook the winch to. A 500 pound :wh: is not going to be match for a 4,000 pound car that is stuck. You will probably break the :wh: in half if you use two winches.      :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

davem1111

I have a Badland 2000 Winch that I bought a while back to get a (small) dead car onto a trailer. I just rigged it up with some eye hooks and a chain to attach it to the head of the trailer - worked pretty well in spite of a frozen brake drum. Anyway, I recently bought a new welder, and one of the first projects that came to mind was mounting the winch on one of my tractors.  I think what I'd like to do is make a bracket that will attach to where the mule drive attaches (is that called "Attach-A-Matic" or is that just the underside attachment?).    It seems like it would be pretty simple, as it just needs a bracket either bolted to or welded to a long enough bolt or round steel stock to fit in there, and a part to brace it at the bottom.  Has anyone done something like this?  I'm guessing that somehow adding a larger battery is a good idea for winch use also.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
17 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

adding a larger battery is a good idea

You'll want to get the specs for the winch's power consumption and then think through what sort of duty cycle it would see.

Winches consume LOTS of juice to do heavy work and most recent WHs max out at 15 or 20 amps of charging current (some of which goes to keeping the engine running!) so, yes, you will need a suitable battery to cover any deficit and then wait for it to recharge after any extended winch cycle.

davem1111
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

You'll want to get the specs for the winch's power consumption and then think through what sort of duty cycle it would see.

Winches consume LOTS of juice to do heavy work and most recent WHs max out at 15 or 20 amps of charging current (some of which goes to keeping the engine running!) so, yes, you will need a suitable battery to cover any deficit and then wait for it to recharge after any extended winch cycle.

Thanks - I'm thinking about using it for pulling some logs out of places I don't want to have to carry firewood from and where I'd get stuck if I tried to take the tractor and wagon or pickup truck into.   I'd probably hook a chain or nylon towing strap from the back of the tractor to a tree behind me when pulling.  But yeah, it won't be able to handle a lot. Maybe I'll also make a box to mount on the rear hitch to hold a full-size car battery.... :eusa-think:

• Like 1

CodyP
On 5/1/2022 at 1:44 PM, davem1111 said:

Thanks - I'm thinking about using it for pulling some logs out of places I don't want to have to carry firewood from and where I'd get stuck if I tried to take the tractor and wagon or pickup truck into.   I'd probably hook a chain or nylon towing strap from the back of the tractor to a tree behind me when pulling.  But yeah, it won't be able to handle a lot. Maybe I'll also make a box to mount on the rear hitch to hold a full-size car battery.... :eusa-think:

if you mount a hitch you can pull anything anywhere I use two linking chains 

• Like 1