Kelsey

310-8 solenoid problems?

Kelsey

I replaced 310-8 starter solenoid last week. I must have crossed a wire because

as I started up the tractor there was a small spark or two behind the instrument panel.

I took the solenoid back off and rechecked the wiring and I had something crossed.

Next, I put everything back together and the tractor started right up, and it ran for more 

than a hour with out any problem. Also, I used the WHForum for help on the topic of 312-8

solenoid.

Tonight the 3Ten started right up and I backed it up. The motor shut off and the starter

was cranking. I put the key in the off position and pulled it out. The starter kept on cranking

for a few minutes until I disconnected the negative battery terminal. After a few minutes of

me shaking like a leaf, I touched the negative battery cable to the battery  with insulated pliers.

The starter started cranking all over again with out the key in the ignition.

All concise answers would be GREATLY appreciated.

gwest_ca

If you remove the small wire from the starter solenoid the starter should not run. If it does the solenoid contacts have welded themselves together.

The small wire to the solenoid should only have power when the clutch pedal is down and the ignition key in start position.

The start circuit has it's own diagram in the above file that you can download.

• Like 2

Kelsey

Then, it's safe to assume that the solenoid is junk now because of the cross wiring. I 

ordered another solenoid from Amazon and it'll be here Saturday afternoon. I can't do any-

thing tonight as per your advisement.

• Like 1

953 nut

here is a pictorial of solenoid  wiring.

solenoid.jpg.0db88c27a94b4dd41ebba8b7efccbfa2.jpg

• Like 1

Kelsey

Thinking back on the swap out of the old solenoid, there was a black (-) wire on the LEFT side of the solenoid.

Behind the solenoid plate, there was a wire w/ round wire connector that the hold down bolt went through to fastened

to the tractor. And the red (+) went the the right side of the solenoid. Because of the bad light condition,

I connected the smaller (+) spade connector on the wrong side. Same went for the (-) spade connector. Again,

when I saw a few sparks fly, I shut off the tractor and called it a day. The next morning, I read about the the thread

about 312-8 having a solenoid problem. Afterwards, I took the ground spade connector and placed it on the correct

lead. Along with the positive spade connector.

The tractor started up and ran fine for an hour or so. I shut the tractor off a few times to check it out.

My questions are, why did the tractor run fine in the first place? what caused the tractor to shut off? What caused

the alleged fusing/welding solenoid contacts?

Thanks everyone!

squonk

I would look at the wiring at the switch and the switch itself. You may have melted something in there causing the engine to shut down and the solenoid to stay engaged. The switch contacts are pretty puny . 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Do you still have the terminal holder at the ignition switch? I have never liked the individual terminals at the back of the switch as they are vulnerable to shorting to another close terminal.

Best to get a replacement wire holder and use Packard terminals as illustrated here

8ntruck

I'll add that Packard terminals are available at NAPA stores.

Kelsey
9 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Do you still have the terminal holder at the ignition switch? I have never liked the individual terminals at the back of the switch as they are vulnerable to shorting to another close terminal.

Best to get a replacement wire holder and use Packard terminals as illustrated here

There's a plug unit that houses 5 connectors that plug into the back of the ignition

switch along with a separate plug.

Edited by Kelsey

Kelsey

I just swapped out the ignition switch from another WH tractor.

And I barely touched the (-) lead from the frame to the (-) battery post 

(with the ignition switch in the off position) and the starter started to whine.

953 nut
2 hours ago, Kelsey said:

I just swapped out the ignition switch from another WH tractor.

And I barely touched the (-) lead from the frame to the (-) battery post 

(with the ignition switch in the off position) and the starter started to whine.

Not all Wheel Horses are wired alike! Use the information @gwest_ca has given you to get out of this problem.

• Like 2

Kelsey

Update:

I used the info that was provided by gwest and looked at the ignition switch for any problems. Everything looked

good to the best of my ability. I replaced the solenoid and the tractor ran fine for another mowing session.

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions and help.

Kelsey

• Like 1