Sign in to follow this  
rick

310-8 seat gas spring

rick

Hi- The gas spring that holds the seat in the raised position on my '89 310-8 has

given up the ghost. Matching measurements for a new one is no problem, but knowing the proper spring rate is, since whatever numbers that may have been present on the original are gone...Has anyone found a less expensive ($43.78 list) replacement? I really would like to do away with the piece of scrap metal I am using now to hold up the seat when I refuel and put the seat up when I am done (to keep the cat from off).

BTW, the 37" SD deck works very well, even with the baffle underneath worn/rusted away!

TJ

I bought one at Auto Zone for around $12.00 three years ago. I just matched up the length, and drilled the mounting holes a little larger.

Good luck

Tom

dgjks6

Mine also quit working years ago. I solved the problem years ago with a loud yell for Ali, Michael, Megan, Abbey, Katie, or Nicole. Then one of them runs out and holds the seat up while I put gas in.

rick

Thanks for the tips....although I would have to holler loud for children or grandchildren, they are from 1/4 mile to two miles away!

Raider12

I solved the problem years ago with a loud yell for Ali, Michael, Megan, Abbey, Katie, or Nicole. Then one of them runs out and holds the seat up while I put gas in.

They have to earn their keep some how........ right?

JoeMonag

Rick, at the suggestion of another member. I bought a "gas spring" at Advance Autio parts, that was about the same size for around $10.00 I had to open up the eye-let holes to fit over the wheel horse spacers. It took a little time to drill them out, as the eye-let ends are stainless or some type of harden material. I just kept re-sharpening my drill bits on my "Drill Doctor", and eventually opened the hole up to somthing around .375" I did it during the winter. I use my 310-8 to plow my 400 foot drive way, I usually top off the tank, when I finish plowing,to be ready for the next storm, and it was making me crazy when the gas spring stopped working. The 10 dollar gas spring works fine on my working tractor and has relieved the frustration of re fueling. Good luck Joe in Norton

Kelly

Can someone tell me how long open the shock is? I'd like to install one on my older tractor to hold the seat up for filling the tank. maybe a pic on how the factory mounted them.

TJ

Kelly:

The gas spring is approx. 10 inches long on center from mounting holes.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

Tom

rick

Do the replacements from AA seem to have the correct force to hold the seat up without undue stress?

The reason I ask is that I tried the gas spring from the trunk of a Chevy Impala (same Size), but it was much too powerful for the task at hand and never tried it. I had visions of sheet metal distortion, etc.

TJ

The one on bought has more psi than the original equipment, but other than being a little harder to push the seat down, I haven't had any problems.

Hope that helps.

rick

That helps, tj

truckin88

I just bought the oem replacement from parts tree, about $30.00 if it does not last more than 3 years I will be doing autozone.

300zx

This is a good generic replacement for the seat strut (gas spring). I found it at Advance, StongArm F4673 (center one in the picture below). It was $11.99, but if you buy two with the current sale flyer, they reduce them $2.50 each, so the final cost before tax was $9.49. It has the same 3 inch stroke, 9.5 inch center to center length and 3/8 inch holes at each end as the OEM. The shaft and gas chamber are a little smaller in diameter than the OEM. Closing force is about 35 lbs. I put it on this morning and it worked perfectly. Since I needed 4, it was a good savings over the $40 OEM gas spring. Does anyone know the closing force on a new OEM gas spring? 35 lbs on this one seems to work well with the seat.

2010%201101%20%20Seat%20Lift%20Strut%20001.jpg