snowhound

Kohler M16 coil, also an over charging issue

snowhound

Today I replaced the coil on a 416-8 with a M series motor, mice had chewed off the sparkplug wire. Now it won't turn off and it's over charging the battery.  At an idle the voltage at the battery is 18 and if the RPMs are increased it goes above 20.  I did forget to mark how the connector on the rectifier went on, could putting it on the wromg way cause the over charging?   I didn't have these issues before I changed the coil, what did I do wrong?

Edited by snowhound
forgot a put in all the information

953 nut

Have you verified the voltages with a multi-meter? If the Voltage Regulator has a poor ground the voltage could go a little wild. The two outer terminals on your Voltage regulator are the AC Voltage developed by your engine so putting it  on backward shouldn't change anything. At best there should be about 36 volts AC between the two terminals, once it is rectified into DC it shouldn't go above 16 volts DC.

• Like 2

snowhound

Found my charging issue was no issue with the tractor.  I was getting bad readings from the multimeater.  I tried 2 other meters and both showed the charging system is working correctly.  Now I just have to find out why the tractor isn't turning off.

Edited by snowhound
had to chang the wording to make it clear and misspelled words
  • Like 2

Handy Don
24 minutes ago, snowhound said:

why the tractor isn't turning off

Easy. It simply wants to be out there running! :hide: