Ponyboy

Hello from Oregon!

Achto

:WRS:

Sweet tractor! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  not a ton of West Coast folks, but they pop up here and there…

• Like 1

Handy Don

Hey, someone's gotta be an example of good taste on that Left Coast. Good choice of tractor!

And welcome!

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Welcome aboard!

Check out this list for LOTS of maintenance ideas and keep asking questions!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Someone did some modifications to the drive system as it wasn't initially driven with a chain, just a belt from the engine to the trans.

Interesting they put labels on there too

• Like 3

Handy Don
11 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Someone did some modifications to the drive system as it wasn't initially driven with a chain, just a belt from the engine to the trans.

I didn't notice this before.

Without a belt, what sort of clutch does it have? Centrifugal at the engine?

• Like 1

Ponyboy
33 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I didn't notice this before.

Without a belt, what sort of clutch does it have? Centrifugal at the engine?

TBH, I don’t think it has a functional clutch (still learning about motors and transmissions). From what I can tell, there’s a chain from the engine to a center pulley, then another chain from the center pulley to the transmission. I had to lower the idle on the carb because I couldn’t shift it - the chain just kept spinning (depressing the clutch did nothing but the brakes). With a lower idle, I can now shift it into all 4 gears. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

• Like 1

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, Ponyboy said:

TBH, I don’t think it has a functional clutch (still learning about motors and transmissions). From what I can tell, there’s a chain from the engine to a center pulley, then another chain from the center pulley to the transmission. I had to lower the idle on the carb because I couldn’t shift it - the chain just kept spinning (depressing the clutch did nothing but the brakes). With a lower idle, I can now shift it into all 4 gears. 

If there wasn't a clutch, then as soon as got it in gear, the tractor would either take off or stall the engine. In fact, with a WH transmission, it likely would not let you get it in gear and just make a lot of terrible (and bad for the machine) grinding noises.

Now, when you speed up the engine after you have it in gear, then it goes, right? That's centrifugal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ponyboy
47 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

If there wasn't a clutch, then as soon as got it in gear, the tractor would either take off or stall the engine. In fact, with a WH transmission, it likely would not let you get it in gear and just make a lot of terrible (and bad for the machine) grinding noises.

Now, when you speed up the engine after you have it in gear, then it goes, right? That's centrifugal.

Got it! And yes, as it speeds up when in gear, it moves. Just watched a short video on centrifugal clutches, makes sense now. So I did the right thing by lowering the idle so we could shift, right? Otherwise the chain spun and it grinded whenever I tried to put it in gear (even with the ‘clutch’ pedal depressed. 

Day 1 on the forum and a mystery has already been solved on my WH!

• Like 3

Horse Newbie

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

@Ponyboy

oliver2-44

• Like 1

Pullstart
10 hours ago, wallfish said:

Look at all the extra ground clearance!

• Like 1

953 nut
15 hours ago, Ponyboy said:

I'm a recent WH owner ('69 WorkHorse 700 w/ a Kohler Magnum 8) with my eye on a 2nd purchase soon for mowing.

These little red tractors can become a bit addictive but they are legal in all 50 states so you are safe.

1209638274_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.7f74391ba13e72f02ac468c3efbecc65.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Ponyboy said:

So I did the right thing by lowering the idle so we could shift, right

I'd bet I'm not the only one who's super curious to see what if anything that clutch pedal is connected to.

You probably did do the right thing by lowering the idle.

A very important note here. These transmissions are not meant to be shifted while in motion. You must pick a gear while stopped and then accelerate in that gear.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

How about a picture with that chain guard removed? Interesting to see how that works… 

• Like 2

Handy Don

@Ponyboy yes, lowering the idle was good.

The trick, though, is that on engines like yours, having the idle set too low (and letting the engine idle for any length of time) is not good for the engine (it can overheat or not get enough oil circulation). So you have a tricky balance of idle speed: slow enough to let the chain stop moving so you can shift into gear and fast enough that the engine gets the cooling and oil that it needs.

2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

A very important note here. These transmissions are not meant to be shifted while in motion. You must pick a gear while stopped and then accelerate in that gear.

This is indeed critical. Any grinding or catching of the transmission can damage it very quickly.

2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

what if anything that clutch pedal is connected to.

Yep, curious!

• Like 1

Pullstart

Though I’m not sure about the whole chain drive idea, I can see how this shaft could be used for power transfer to a hydraulic pump, etc but only when in motion…

03304C54-3822-42C3-A26B-6ECA97D5B785.jpeg

• Like 2

WHX??