WHNJ701

Riddle me this.....

WHNJ701

4'x100' weld wire fence $99.99

6'x100' weld wire fence $220.99

I  am putting 6 foot  around the orchard.  Yup for what I need I am going with the 4' and then cut a roll in half.

I won't even mention the prices on fence posts....  All this for 18 fruit trees, some expensive fruit, it better taste good

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

ri702bill

It will make your head spin if you try to rationalize the pricing at times. It may be that the 6' high wire fence is more popular and they have a higher profit margin on it.

Went to Lowes recently to buy two 3/8 ID x 1/2 OD x 1/2 long bronze bushings - checked online - they were in stock at $3.98 each. I get there - there are none - I look over in the next bin, same bushing but 1" long for the SAME price. Bought 2, cut them down in the lathe - got my flange bushings and now 2 sleeve bushings in the parts drawer . . go figure...

PS - the price of steel products and flat stock has risen by at least a third in the last year....

Bill

• Like 2

Handy Don

I've watched the young and dumb local deer smoothly hop a 6' fence to get to the flowering bushes in the neighbor's yard.

The smarter ones go around and walk up the driveway.

I've given up growing and trying to protect deer food.

• Like 3

pfrederi

I have successfully kept the deer away from my small trees with cheap white tape style electrical  fence .  They do not seem to want to jump it as they nuzzle it first and get a shock then leave it alone.  Since it is way away from house I got one of the solar fence chargers.

• Like 7

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

I have successfully kept the deer away from my small trees with cheap white tape style electrical  fence .  They do not seem to want to jump it as they nuzzle it first and get a shock then leave it alone.  Since it is way away from house I got one of the solar fence chargers.

When my Amish neighbor bought the farm next to me, he installed the white tape electric fence around the farm to keep the deer out of the 10 acres of sweet corn.

He put a dab of peanut butter every 3 feet on the tape to  get the deer to lick the hot wire.   It must have worked.  He only had the wire up one year and the deer never came back.  That was 3 years ago.

• Like 8

Handy Don
32 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

When my Amish neighbor bought the farm next to me, he installed the white tape electric fence around the farm to keep the deer out of the 10 acres of sweet corn.

He put a dab of peanut butter every 3 feet on the tape to  get the deer to lick the hot wire.   It must have worked.  He only had the wire up one year and the deer never came back.  That was 3 years ago.

Inventive and, apparently, successful.

• Like 2

JoeM
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

some expensive fruit, it better taste good

I had a small fortune in trying to keep the deer out of the tomatoes. I ended up with the electric fence.

My wife told me I could have imported tomatoes from Italy cheaper. :confusion-shrug:

• Haha 8

squonk
13 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I had a small fortune in trying to keep the deer out of the tomatoes. I ended up with the electric fence.

My wife told me I could have imported tomatoes from Italy cheaper. :confusion-shrug:

Where's the fun it that?  You could have a family gathering and after a few beers invite your brother in law over to look at your garden.........ZAP! :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

There are other, more permanent forms of deer control… and they taste much better than peanut butter… :ph34r:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

smoothly hop a 6' fence

It amazes me how easily they can do that!  I started with 6' but had to add 2' more.

• Like 2

JoeM
20 hours ago, squonk said:

look at your garden.........ZAP!

Hey I put on a timer from 9pm to 6am cause I don't trust myself....no beers. :unsure:

• Like 1

Heatingman
On 4/3/2022 at 1:42 PM, Handy Don said:

Inventive and, apparently, successful.

Also Ironic.

Dakota8338

I guess the taste-buds vary from deer to deer, but they seem to like my okra.  They could have eaten all the green beans they wanted, and I really would not have cared, but no they had to eat what I wanted.

953 nut

We have so many deer that are basically neighborhood pets that I gave up gardening. I love seeing them and the cost of "Deer Proofing" a garden would be much higher than the cost of the produce I could harvest in five or ten years.

100_4633.JPG.4016fb261609c49f4feca18996df32d2.JPG 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

neighborhood pets

Same here... when I go out to fill the bird feeders they come a-runnin'.  Looks just like yours!

What's that tripod thingy in your yard?

953 nut
18 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

What's that tripod thingy in your yard?

It is a deer feeder, A friend down the road has this and while they are vacationing in Florida I am feeding the deer every afternoon.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/strike-force-240-lb-programmable-timer-tripod-feeder?a=2248747

• Thanks 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

feeding deer for any reason is illegal statewide from September 1 to the first Saturday in January

But your honor I wasn't feeding the deer! I was filling a container that has a timer on it and all on its own it started spitting corn all over the place and besides I'm not in Virginia and it is after the first Saturday of January.  Please don't lock me up!

Pleaded Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

• Haha 4

Blasterdad

I've got an orchard cannon, it's powered by a propane bottle, it can be set to fire at different intervals anywhere from every 30 seconds to 1 hour.

It scares the crap out of deer, birds, dogs, cats, pedestrians & the neighbors. Pretty much any living thing within a 1 mile radius.

It also seems to peak the interest of the local police department.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't have an orchard. :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5