Jump to content
WHNJ701

Riddle me this.....

Recommended Posts

WHNJ701
Posted (edited)

4'x100' weld wire fence $99.99

6'x100' weld wire fence $220.99

I  am putting 6 foot  around the orchard.  Yup for what I need I am going with the 4' and then cut a roll in half.

I won't even mention the prices on fence posts....  All this for 18 fruit trees, some expensive fruit, it better taste good

Edited by jabelman
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ri702bill

It will make your head spin if you try to rationalize the pricing at times. It may be that the 6' high wire fence is more popular and they have a higher profit margin on it.

Went to Lowes recently to buy two 3/8 ID x 1/2 OD x 1/2 long bronze bushings - checked online - they were in stock at $3.98 each. I get there - there are none - I look over in the next bin, same bushing but 1" long for the SAME price. Bought 2, cut them down in the lathe - got my flange bushings and now 2 sleeve bushings in the parts drawer . . go figure...

PS - the price of steel products and flat stock has risen by at least a third in the last year....

Bill

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don

I've watched the young and dumb local deer smoothly hop a 6' fence to get to the flowering bushes in the neighbor's yard.

The smarter ones go around and walk up the driveway.

I've given up growing and trying to protect deer food.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pfrederi

I have successfully kept the deer away from my small trees with cheap white tape style electrical  fence .  They do not seem to want to jump it as they nuzzle it first and get a shock then leave it alone.  Since it is way away from house I got one of the solar fence chargers.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

I have successfully kept the deer away from my small trees with cheap white tape style electrical  fence .  They do not seem to want to jump it as they nuzzle it first and get a shock then leave it alone.  Since it is way away from house I got one of the solar fence chargers.

When my Amish neighbor bought the farm next to me, he installed the white tape electric fence around the farm to keep the deer out of the 10 acres of sweet corn.

He put a dab of peanut butter every 3 feet on the tape to  get the deer to lick the hot wire.   It must have worked.  He only had the wire up one year and the deer never came back.  That was 3 years ago.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don
32 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

When my Amish neighbor bought the farm next to me, he installed the white tape electric fence around the farm to keep the deer out of the 10 acres of sweet corn.

He put a dab of peanut butter every 3 feet on the tape to  get the deer to lick the hot wire.   It must have worked.  He only had the wire up one year and the deer never came back.  That was 3 years ago.

Inventive and, apparently, successful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
JoeM
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

some expensive fruit, it better taste good

I had a small fortune in trying to keep the deer out of the tomatoes. I ended up with the electric fence.

My wife told me I could have imported tomatoes from Italy cheaper. :confusion-shrug:

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
squonk
13 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I had a small fortune in trying to keep the deer out of the tomatoes. I ended up with the electric fence.

My wife told me I could have imported tomatoes from Italy cheaper. :confusion-shrug:

Where's the fun it that?  You could have a family gathering and after a few beers invite your brother in law over to look at your garden.........ZAP! :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH

There are other, more permanent forms of deer control… and they taste much better than peanut butter… :ph34r:

 

 

  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

smoothly hop a 6' fence

 

It amazes me how easily they can do that!  I started with 6' but had to add 2' more.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
JoeM
20 hours ago, squonk said:

look at your garden.........ZAP!

Hey I put on a timer from 9pm to 6am cause I don't trust myself....no beers. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...