ANTPER

Transmission Identification Tag

ANTPER

Hello Folks

I'm going to change axle seal on 310-08 with 8 speed trans made in the 90s. Where would I find the ID tag to figure out seal and part number needed? Thanks in advance.

Anthony

• Like 1

stevasaurus

This is easy.  It is all about the diameter of the axle.  There probably is no tag for the transmission.  Odds are you have the #110996 transmission with 1" axles, so, if your axles are 1" in diameter you need the Wheel Horse #100863 which will cross to SKF 9815.  

If by chance you have 1 1/8" axles you want Wheel Horse # 100443 which crosses to SKF 11050.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

ri702bill
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Seals can be ordered here

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product-category/manual-transmissions/page/2/

You may want to check to see if the axles don't have any up and down movement. 

If they do, you are just spitting into the wind changing the seals. Bad bearings/ bushings make the seal the victim - the same will happen shortly ...

Bill

• Like 4

ANTPER

With the work hours I put in I let the unit go a bit so I'm going to town on it and show it some love as Its been good to me many years. Doing filters, engine oil,lube, seals, fresh trans oil. new blades, 2 front tires.

Do I sound a bit too excited? lol. Thanks for info guys. This site is awesome with the knowledge on here.

• Like 6

WHX??
22 minutes ago, ANTPER said:

Do I sound a bit too excited? lol. Thanks for info guys. This site is awesome with the knowledge on here.

Nope not at all .. its our passion as well.   Yes the knowedge is here and we ain't afraid to share it.

Your  :text-welcomewave:for the info. Just remember Ant you show her some love when she needs it you will get many more years out of it. 

• Like 3

oliver2-44

@ANTPER As your aware to replace the axle seals you have to pull the wheel hubs.  These wheel hubs are made of cast iron which is brittle, so DO Not use a 3 jaw puller on the outer diameter/flange of the hub.  They are easy to break.  Search for "Wheel Hub Puller" or Hub Puller"  You will get lots of ideas how to do it.  if your lucky your leaking axle seals will have lubed up your hubs to make them easier to pull....I've never been that lucky.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 5

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Also DO NOT pound outward to try and get it off. There is a C clip on the inside holding the axle in and you do not want to break that. Always best to try and get a bearing collar between the hub and housing and pulling off of that. Don't ask me how I know. :hide:

20191207_161458.jpg

• Sad 1

Handy Don

On a trans I just bought, we had to open it up, release the axle from the differential, and then fit the axle and the hub in to a press so we could apply enough pressure safely. It took every ounce of the press's force to pop it loose. As someone here said sagely "it took nature years to brown weld those together, don't expect them to part easily"

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

The splitting the tranny approach can also run into another problem, the stuck hitch pin.

Hubs, Steering Wheels, and Hitch pins the trifecta of fun with your WH

• Like 1

Handy Don
20 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

the stuck hitch pin.

A very valid point!

Interestingly, I was able to remove one of these using a large HF 3-jaw puller. Drilled a centering hole at the left end of the pin for the puller's screw point and was just able to get the three jaws onto the right side of the slot hitch up against the pin. With some penetrant, persistent pressure, and a strong whack, I was able to break it loose. I'm not sure the angles would work for a drawbar or sleeve hitch. 

ANTPER
9 hours ago, WHX?? said:

:text-yeahthat:Also DO NOT pound outward to try and get it off. There is a C clip on the inside holding the axle in and you do not want to break that. Always best to try and get a bearing collar between the hub and housing and pulling off of that. Don't ask me how I know. :hide:

20191207_161458.jpg

ANTPER

Appears this simple I thought replacement is gonna give me a work out. I have to scrounge up a puller of some sort. Glad that was mentioned. Thanks

Handy Don
8 hours ago, pfrederi said:

The splitting the tranny approach can also run into another problem, the stuck hitch pin.

Hubs, Steering Wheels, and Hitch pins the trifecta of fun with your WH

Dang, and I didn't place I bet when I completed the third leg. Sigh.

ANTPER

Folks I lucked out big time today!! I went to take rear tires off to start lubricating the hubs a few days before I  fight the battle of removal and the oil leak over the year was lubricating the hub for me it slide off effortlessly! I did notice I could slide the hub in and out an inch. Probably the key way lock downs came out of adjustment. No play in shaft so I'm going forward with seal replacement/ 1" diameter.

• Like 3

ANTPER

Well today I'm little bummed. I replaced my leaking seal and still leaking as it was. No play in the shaft. I sanded down the axle shaft and lubed it. I used a plastic cylinder the tap seal in. I installed the seal with rubber faces in. Not sure to try another seal. Maybe I damaged it??

stevasaurus

Did you file any burrs that might have been on the end of the axle, or around the key way??  Always a good idea to check that and then tape with masking tape before sliding the seal over the axle.  It does not take much to tare the rubber in the seal.  Anyway, pull it out and put in a new one.  :eusa-think:

DeepH2O

Wow, wish I would’ve found this thread before I split mine apart, less than a week ago. I hammered outward on hub to get it off. The C Clip didn’t break, but it did pop it off and axle came out. Also, hitch pin wouldn’t go all the way going either direction. I fought with it for several hours and then gave up. Whacked tip off with a cutting wheel and it came right on out!! 

And all this was started by wanting to paint it, haha. It was a blessing in disguise tho!! It needed cleaning out after years of water coming in through busted boot cover. Also, found the tip of the dipstick in there! 

• Thanks 1