Sign in to follow this  
Raider

C-160 Auto "Brake" pedal return spring.

Raider

My old C-160 has had a bungee holding up the brake pedal since before I bought it. I'm fixing up some things on it while the weather is warm and I'd like the bungee gone.

This is not an actual brake but is the linkage that moves the hydro to neutral when depressed. I need to know what spring or springs I need and where it or they go. Thanks much.

whc02.jpg

Raider

To the Top :thumbs2:

TT

A job that causes new cuss words to be created awaits you if you seriously want to fix this. :thumbs:

I didn't have a hoodstand off of a "new" tractor so I used one from a '72 Charger 10. It's a little different, but you'll still be able to see where you'll be working.

If you remove the console cover plate and look along the inside of the hoodstand on the left side of the direction control lever (DCL) assembly, you will see the cam plate. You can find it quickly by moving the brake pedal and watching where the back end of the rod is attached. There should be a small spring (P/N was 1230 but is listed as NLA now) attached between a hole in the upper front corner of the cam plate to either a 1/4" bolt sticking through the side of the hoodstand or a hole at the bottom of the part of the hoodstand below the ammeter panel. Chances are you might find part of the original spring once you get in there looking around and you might be able to bend a new hook on it and use it again. If not, take it to the local hardware or parts store and buy one as similar to it as you can find.

Here's where you'll be working and it's not a very nice place to work if the DCL is in there and the hoodstand is still bolted to the frame.

071209004.jpg

Here's my version of "how things need to be":

071209007-1.jpg

I wish you the best of luck! :thumbs2:

Raider

Thank you so much for taking the time to show this to me. The tractor is going through a little bit of rehab right now so I have a few things taken apart. I've got a really good assortment of springs and I know lots of good swear words too. :thumbs2:

TT

Sounds like you're ready to go then! :thumbs2:

Glad I could help.

bo dawg

I agree with TT, he also told me about it when I had the same problem and yes there is some words you create in the process. And I try not to cuss so I was creating some funny words, of course only before the serious ones came out. :thumbs2: But yeah more than likely the spring is still there just has one end broke off.

Good Luck

Raider

I fixed the spring tonight. It all became clear once I removed that plate and cleaned out all of the chaff and junk. There was an old spring in there on a bolt. It looks like it had been repaired before by bending new ends on the spring. Trouble was the spring was stretched out of shape and fit too loose so I imagine it fell off. I put in a new spring and yea it's tight in there. I was able to loosen a few things and disconnected the pedal so the rod would just lay there and then commenced to swearing for the next fifteen minutes trying to get my fingers to bend sideways and backwards getting the spring put on. Taking the steering wheel off before I started the project made a little more room to work. Needlenose vice grips are useful also.

Anyhow thanks for the instructions and encouragement guys :thumbs2: