857lover

belt guard

857lover

i have a 857 and i understand that the belt shroud is apart of the shifting mechanism but what is this little arm do on my shroud and on my buddies raider it’s like welded to his tractor but mine is held on with a bolt what is this for ? and how should it be installed 

D940304C-2FA3-475A-A5E1-6447620D18B5.jpeg

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, 857lover said:

i understand that the belt shroud is a part of the shifting mechanism

You're kind of headed the right direction with that statement but not quite there.

The belt GUARD is the belt GUIDE and it must be in place in order for you to stop the belt so you can go in and out of gear safely without damaging the transmission.

You've likely heard this before but just as a reminder it's extremely important that you do NOT shift while the tractor is in motion.

Handy Don
1 hour ago, 857lover said:

i have a 857 and i understand that the belt shroud is apart of the shifting mechanism but what is this little arm do on my shroud and on my buddies raider it’s like welded to his tractor but mine is held on with a bolt what is this for ? and how should it be installed 

D940304C-2FA3-475A-A5E1-6447620D18B5.jpeg

I suspect you are looking at the lower belt guard bracket. Usually the lower one is welded to the guide and bolted to the tractor. I'd need a better view to be sure, but maybe someone modified it after it was damaged?

squonk

I believe that bracket is supposed to be welded to the tractor frame and the guard bolted to it. I've seen those break  a lot.

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 minute ago, squonk said:

I believe that bracket is supposed to be welded to the tractor frame and the guard bolted to it. I've seen those break  a lot.

Either way, seeing that broken out hole for the top bolt bodes ill for the fate of the lower bracket! :mellow:

• Like 1

WHX??
29 minutes ago, squonk said:

I've seen those break  a REAL lot.