857lover

wheel stopped spinning in 3rd

857lover

i just noticed that on this new 6 speed that when i get stuck usually the wheels would keep just spinning and digging a hole but it doesn’t do that the wheels just stop trying to turn and the belt stopped moving because my wheels stopped moving why is this ? 

Handy Don

Worn or wrong size belt or contaminated belt surface are likely. However, the horse will slip the belt before it'll stall the engine so if you are really locked up, that'll be the reason.

• Like 3

cschannuth

The belt is slipping on the engine pulley. 

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:what kind of belt and what condition is the belt in ?

• Like 2

857lover
9 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

:text-yeahthat:what kind of belt and what condition is the belt in ?

it’s a brand new belt it’s one of those blue ones i forget the brand and it’s a 70 inch belt  and it’s all strange when it’s in 3rd high you let out the clutch to move and it starts slow and kind of builds up speed 

Edited by 857lover

857lover
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Worn or wrong size belt or contaminated belt surface are likely. However, the horse will slip the belt before it'll stall the engine so if you are really locked up, that'll be the reason.

it’s just weird it only does it in 3rd high

wallfish

You need a stronger spring for the pedal return. 3rd gear applies the most force on the belt and it's slipping on the engine pulley as noted

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3

953 nut

the closer to one to one your engine to axle gear ratio comes the higher the demand you are placing on the belt. Stronger spring or a shorter belt will probably do the trick.

• Like 2

lynnmor
22 minutes ago, 857lover said:

it’s just weird it only does it in 3rd high

Not weird at all, it takes more torque to get things turning with less gear reduction. 

• Like 1

857lover
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

You need a stronger spring for the pedal return. 3rd gear applies the most force on the belt and it's slipping on the engine pulley as noted

is the spring from a 6 speed diffrent than the one on a 3speed

Handy Don
Just now, 857lover said:

is the spring from a 6 speed diffrent than the one on a 3speed

You can find this yourself.

Search in the Files/Document section of this site for the Illustrated Parts Manuals (IPM) for both your tractor and the donor tractor (probably a 1067). Look at the part numbers.

• Like 1

Pullstart

You could try using your toe and pulling the clutch pedal back.  That would simulate what @wallfish is saying…

• Like 2

oldlineman

All of the above. Bob    

peter lena

@857lover  would go over every linkage point with aerosol lubricant , make the rust run out , grease related fittings , that linkage should work seamlessly , this is only a basic idea, don't know what the related areas are like , pete

• Like 1

squonk

You're going off roading. You do not have stock sized pullies. A 70" belt may not be the  correct length. Are your pullies  the same width? The same profile? 

Also The used transmission may have worn hubs /axle keyways. The load you're putting on it may be enough to make them slip.

How about some pictures so we can see your pulley belt set up? 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4

857lover
3 hours ago, squonk said:

You're going off roading. You do not have stock sized pullies. A 70" belt may not be the  correct length. Are your pullies  the same width? The same profile? 

Also The used transmission may have worn hubs /axle keyways. The load you're putting on it may be enough to make them slip.

i will definitely grab some pictures after work but  i have noticed my right hub keeps sliding back and forth like my set screw isn’t doing anything but also the trans pulley is a 4 inch diameter which is the same size as the one on my 3speed only difference is the bore is smaller 

Edited by 857lover

squonk

That rt. hub is probably your entire issue. What pulley are you running on the engine? 

• Like 1

857lover
52 minutes ago, squonk said:

That rt. hub is probably your entire issue. What pulley are you running on the engine? 

i’m not sure it’s the one that’s been in the tractor since i’ve owned it

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, squonk said:

May be Mike, but he states the belt is not moving.

857lover
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

May be Mike, but he states the belt is not moving.

yea the belt dosent spin when its happening

857lover
10 hours ago, squonk said:

21336F1E-DED8-4F7E-82A7-47EF1A8406A7.jpeg

3636E5DD-B5F4-41D0-B165-F04BD8A1CE90.jpeg

88B5E03F-6684-45F3-85F1-644F94D19E76.jpeg

953 nut

Can't be sure from the picture but the engine pulley looks wide like a "B" bely pulley, belt should be riding high in the pulley so it has the maximum side contact area.

squonk

Pulley on trans also doesn't look stock to me and the idler looks high like the belt is too long.

Handy Don

I'm more noticing that the blue fabric on the top and bottom is there but gone on the sides.

Also, as noted, belt is riding low in the groove.

DEAD BELT is my vote (new belt = better grip , ride higher , pull the idler down a bit more )

And yeah, non-stock drive pulley on the trans but I don't think that's the issue because the belt stopped moving.

Edited by Handy Don

squonk

The only thing that will stop the belt is it slipping on the engine pulley

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1