Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzyphi

New Horse Owner

Fuzzyphi

Hello everyone. I have recently inherited a C-81 from my grandfather. I believe it is a 1978 however I don't actually have it in my possesion yet. My mom tells me I rode on it with him before I was 1. I was born in 1978. I pick it up over the July 4th holiday. I'm pretty excited. Not sure how much I'll use it, it's more of a sentimental piece. My grandma sent me a stack of paperwork for it. It includes the manuals for the tractor, engine, mowing deck, snow plow, garden plow, clevis hitch, and broadcast speader. My grandma also told me there is a trash can with weights and chains in the shed.

Anyway it has been sitting for a couple of years, so I'm sure I'll be on here looking for help getting it going. I'll post a couple of pictures below.

I have one dumb question right off the bat. What kind of battery do I need for it?

576110583_mfSr9-M.jpg

576110653_VGkCq-M.jpg

576110687_AoEL3-M.jpg

Raider12

Hello Cory, I wanted to be the first to say Welcome.

:thumbs2::thumbs::ychain:

In order to post pictures here. You need to follow the instructions in this link listed below. This way your pictures will show up here and everyone can give you a lot of input as to what you have and what you may need to make her purrr.

Denver N.E. Ohio

Click on this link to learn how to post pictures>

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1071

d180man

Hi :ychain: and it should just be a lawnmower battery like you can get at wal-mart or tsc be look for you to post some photos if you need help just ask ! :thumbs2: :thumbs:

jtmoyer

i use to live in mullinville and i still have a brother in dodge. i did not think there was any horses in kansas :thumbs2: ok so you probably have one of the 200 in kansas.

Suburban 550

:thumbs: Cory. Good luck with your new horse. :thumbs2:

Sparky

:thumbs2:

Can we assume thats you in the old picture? If so thats really cool! Seems you have inherited a family heirloom.

Mike..........

Docwheelhorse

Let me be the second to say how cool it is to see the old girl with you on it when it was new and now yours 30 some odd years later. The C81 is a terrific unit and will do ANYTHING you ask of it even with the "little itty bitty" 8 in it----those Kohler K181's are tough as nails. :thumbs2:

Tony

bitten

Sounds like a great story. Im sure you will have fun with it. Any queations you have just ask and I know that you will get a good answer here.

As stated a normal garden tractor battery will work.

Have a great time with your C-81 you got a good one there.

P.J.

gwgdog66

:thumbs2: A standard lawn and garden battery should work for you.

JimD

:thumbs2: fuzzy, nice pictures of you on the old girl. i hope you're going to bring her back to her former self with a restoration. it's a lot of fun using these tractors and keeping them up.

jpmcleod

I would say, nice to inherit one from your grand dad. My grandson and I are in the process of restoring a Bronco 14 Automatic. I know he will have it forever. I have a C-120 that I purchased about 18 years ago and reconditioned it about 5 years ago. I would love to have had a photo of one of my grand kids on it back when.

The Bronco is about the same shape of the one you are getting and we are trying to get it ready for the Florida Flywheelers event this winter. My son and I have a John Deere 110 and 112, and for some reason, I just get more excited working on the Wheel Horses. We are taking a series of restorations photos and later hope to post them at a later date.

Redbird

:thumbs2: :thumbs::ychain:

Hi Fuzzy! Very nice horse!!!! I'm sure you're going to love it. Getting one with al thos attachments AND the manual is great!! I think you're going to find that after you get her all fixed up, 1 isn't going to be enough and you're going to end up with a herd hahahahahaha! As for the battery---- a lawn and garden tractor battery from some place like Wal-Mart is just fine. Only thing-- get at least a 300 or 325 CA (cranking amp) minimum. They don't drain down as quick if it doesn't start right away. I have found that they crank a little faster, too. Hope to see you at next year's show with it.

Butch

Redbird was that you being towed around on a new buy at the WH Show?

Butch

S. Jersey

coolhandblack

Glad to see anther kansas member! I live in Hutchinson

Redbird

Yeah Butch that was me on the 1961 Suburban 551. We towed it up from camp for the 1 Pull start on Saturday morning ( too hard to push that far) then had to tow it later when the drag link (tie rod) on the left side broke. Slowly rolled into the back of one of the seller's legs. No brakes on that thing! Luckily for me, one of the kids in the camp near mine is a wiz at fixing things. I had a torch in my car so he heated up the socket-- bangegd the ball back in--peened in the sides a tad--dropped it in ice water--put it back on and it works great now. Funny how your herd grows when you go to a show. Ha Ha Ha !

HorseFixer

:thumbs: :thumbs2:

acsousa82

Nice to see the old girl is staying in the family. Welcome to our WH family.

Fuzzyphi

I might get banned for showing these pictures on this website. I don't want to offend anyone.

I got to pick up my tractor on July 3rd. When we got to my grandparent's house to pick it up it was raining like crazy. Instead of driving the pick up through the yard and leaving ruts, their neighbor offered to tow the wheel horse out to the trailor. So here we are in the rain with me steering the horse. It was pretty exciting and embarassing all at once.

My father in law has it now and got it running by cleaning out the fuel tank, carb, and fuel valve. He then added a new battery and spark plug. He called me the other and let me hear it run over the phone. I have a couple of parts on order. They should be there Wednesday and hopefully he'll be ready to bring it out to me.

CorystractorJuly32009001-1.jpg

Fun to ride it finally!

CorystractorJuly32009002-1.jpg

Sad to have a horse pulled around by a deere. :thumbs2:

584764248_3e3G6-X2.jpg

In the shop draining the bad fuel.

bo dawg

I don't see any problems having a wheel horse towed by a deer, in a case like that, I don't think I would post a picture of it though. Besides we all know that deers can't really out pull a horse...right? :thumbs2:

nylyon

How the heck did you push that Deere with that chain? :thumbs2: Must have been something :thumbs:

:ychain:

Duff

How the heck did you push that Deere with that chain?

I just wanna congratulate the guy that welded all them links together to make it a "push chain"! :thumbs:

Oh.... and :ychain: !

Duff :thumbs2:

Eriks Red horse herd

Thats not a chain. but if you look close thats rebar. They had to use some thing long to be able to push that deere. As you know the older they get, they get kind of gamey and with that deere disease you got be safe! Like keeping your distance. You don't want to infect a good draft horse! :thumbs: :thumbs2:

mcwh1950

cory it nice to see that you was able to pull the deere back up on the road. are then training bar on the back of the deere

MikesRJ

Great story and what a fantastic candidate for a restore. Good luck with it and congratulations.

Operator

:thumbs2: A little.

Who has the saying in their signature "Nothing runs like a Deere , being chased by a Horse"

I myself really like that saying. :thumbs:

Randy