Sign in to follow this  
Chopper Tom

Onan P220 help

Chopper Tom

Does anybody know if it's possible to permanently remove the govenor on this motor, and if so, what is the procedure? I'm NOT looking for a "speed demon" just one less problem for me to troubleshoot this motor. Also, I found a crack in one of the flywheel magnets. All magnets are tight but after seeing the earlier post of the flywheel magnet failure, was wondering if I have to worry about the same. Can something like super glue or a resin be used to reinforce the magnet?

Thanx,

Chopper Tom

Jim_M

You can use a good grade of epoxy on the magnet, but try to keep it only in the cracks.

I would strongly advise against unhooking your governor.

Duvall

The governor would be easy to bypass. Just need to run the throttle cable directly to the throttle arm on the carb.

If you were to disconnect the governor the engine would no longer add throttle for load conditions. You would have to add or remove throttle by hand according to the load on the engine. No big deal if you have a third hand to do it.

Not to mention there would no longer be a rpm limit. Your connecting rods might want to see daylight.

I agree with Jim. I would probably not do it.

Chopper Tom

The only reason I asked about the govenor was to troubleshoot the motor. The motor is actally a P224 in an EZ-GO GXI-1500 work cart(Third hand, no. Right foot, yes). The service manual states that if the gov balls are worn or if the race is grooved they need replacing. No prob but to check and re-install the gov innards, the motor has to be sitting with flywheel side up. It's alot easier to pull the flywheel a few times to troubleshoot than disconnect the drive train, pull the motor, lug it to a bench, tear it apart, only to find theres nothing wrong. It's kinda like your car struggling to move so you remove and tear down the tranny only to find out the problem was a FLAT TIRE!

I did make the mistake by using the word "permanently" but I didn't want to "bypass" it and I'm not ignorant to the rammifications of running a motor without a govenor!

Anyways, Thanks for the multitude of intelligent replies, Red Square!