8ntruck

Tri Rib Tires

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, JohnnyO said:

Sorry, if I have sent my message to the wrong forum? or subject? I'm new to this site, although I read a LOT of good advice from it. No, I did not overfill the transmission..I appreciate the advice concerning that. I will try another way, to discuss the "3 rib vs. the V61...fronts for my 101...I appreciate your time answering.

No worries at all Johnny. Do feel free to start your own thread if you don't find exactly what you're looking for in the others. 

RED-Z06
16 minutes ago, JohnnyO said:

Sorry, if I have sent my message to the wrong forum? or subject? I'm new to this site, although I read a LOT of good advice from it. No, I did not overfill the transmission..I appreciate the advice concerning that. I will try another way, to discuss the "3 rib vs. the V61...fronts for my 101...I appreciate your time answering.

Im curious how you checked the fluid level on the C101, you said 3/4 full then finger in the fill hole to the first knuckle....does it not have a dipstick?

Handy Don
On 12/30/2021 at 1:29 AM, 8ntruck said:

Why tri ribs?  The tractor seems to have an under steer issue.

I’ll just add my 2¢...

Is your steering geometry correct? A bent spindle (or it’s steering arm) could be throwing things out of whack. Adjustable tie rods (wheelhorsepartsandmore) let you tweak the toe-in/out.

• Like 1

8ntruck
36 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I’ll just add my 2¢...

Is your steering geometry correct? A bent spindle (or it’s steering arm) could be throwing things out of whack. Adjustable tie rods (wheelhorsepartsandmore) let you tweak the toe-in/out.

Its possible.  I have not been through the front axle  that thoroughly.  Didn't notice anything obvious when I put the V61's on it.

Since I installed the V61's it seems to track better in tight turns at mowing speeds, though.

JohnnyO

apparently this is off topic, learning here..but want to answer about the "dip stick"...yes, it does. I was trying in my own way to assure the man, I believe Oliver, and I was not clear on that. What I mean to say was, in reviewing a lot of transmission fluid/gear oil discussions, car, tractor, etc...99% said, "you fill it up. put your finger in, and if it's below or at the first knuckle put the PLUG BACK IN..done. And that was on my mind when I wrote that. Sorry for the confusion, Absolutely my 101 has a dip stick, and I let  it settle awhile, and checked it a couple of times. It is on the "F" mark. I hope that clears up my error in the discussion..now I know what Oliver said I had put in a TON of gear oil! Sorry..nope..I didn't overfill it. But thanks, Oliver, for your concern and I do understand that overfilling would undoubtedly create "pressure" especially with heat build up I presume, and seals would be a good place to relieve it. I get that, and appreciate the advice given.

I will start a new "thread" about the "ease of steering" issue; 3-rib vs. V61's in snow..just to get some obviously valued opinions...

• Like 2

JohnnyO

Thanks for the advice on the steering toe in/out. I'll look into that and thanks. Seems to be fine mowing etc. I think the snow plow with turfs just makes it harder for me, at my age, to have a comfortable degree

of steerling. I did just purchase the V-61's..to replace my 16 x 650 -8 turfs. I like the 3 ribs, for sure, but I think the V61's will be better on my grass, as I have some soft spots at times, and I think the 6l's will be less agressive, compared to the 3 rib as to turning, etc..and leaving ruts in softer areas. I will still look into the adjustabe tie rods.

RED-Z06
36 minutes ago, JohnnyO said:

apparently this is off topic, learning here..but want to answer about the "dip stick"...yes, it does. I was trying in my own way to assure the man, I believe Oliver, and I was not clear on that. What I mean to say was, in reviewing a lot of transmission fluid/gear oil discussions, car, tractor, etc...99% said, "you fill it up. put your finger in, and if it's below or at the first knuckle put the PLUG BACK IN..done. And that was on my mind when I wrote that. Sorry for the confusion, Absolutely my 101 has a dip stick, and I let  it settle awhile, and checked it a couple of times. It is on the "F" mark. I hope that clears up my error in the discussion..now I know what Oliver said I had put in a TON of gear oil! Sorry..nope..I didn't overfill it. But thanks, Oliver, for your concern and I do understand that overfilling would undoubtedly create "pressure" especially with heat build up I presume, and seals would be a good place to relieve it. I get that, and appreciate the advice given.

I will start a new "thread" about the "ease of steering" issue; 3-rib vs. V61's in snow..just to get some obviously valued opinions...

Ah okay, yes on transmissions with a 2 plug on the side method..remove the higher and lower plugs, lower plug drains, install lower plug, then fill by though higher plug until it runs out...with the rule of thumb being that if you put your finger into the hole up to the first knuckle and its got oil on it, its satisfactory.  I thought you had a missing dipstick and was putting your finger in the dipstick hole to feel for oil

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, RED-Z06 said:

Ah okay, yes on transmissions with a 2 plug on the side method..remove the higher and lower plugs, lower plug drains, install lower plug, then fill by though higher plug until it runs out...with the rule of thumb being that if you put your finger into the hole up to the first knuckle and its got oil on it, its satisfactory.  I thought you had a missing dipstick and was putting your finger in the dipstick hole to feel for oil

Just as a note for you, @JohnnyO and whoever.  

The 3 and 4 speed capacity is officially 1.5 qts. 

6 and 8 speed is 2 qts. 

ALL of our tractors get 2 qts of inexpensive 80W, 90W, or whatever is available.  

There's NO brass parts in any transmissions I've disassembled to be concerned with GL-4 vs GL-5.  

• Like 1

JohnnyO

Good to know. I had some good ole' Wolf's Head  I've always used before in the cars, and used that..with the small amount of added STP. Thanks for your information and help.

• Like 1

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Just as a note for you, @JohnnyO and whoever.  

The 3 and 4 speed capacity is officially 1.5 qts. 

6 and 8 speed is 2 qts. 

ALL of our tractors get 2 qts of inexpensive 80W, 90W, or whatever is available.  

There's NO brass parts in any transmissions I've disassembled to be concerned with GL-4 vs GL-5.  

He said it was a C-101 so 2qts should be correct.

• Thanks 1