Gregor

Media Blasting

Gregor

A few days ago I said I was going to take a wheel outside and blast it with some coarser media, with my HF blaster. I can't seem to find that post now.

1663870308_Screenshot2021-12-18at12-41-44SearchResultsForBlastMedia.png.6dd3562057a6a0cee32139f5a9fb2f65.pngI finally got 39922792_Screenshot2021-12-18at12-31-23aroundtoit-GoogleSearch.png.04dda85d61f797928238b37271ec53e2.png I bought some coarser media 1108337214_Screenshot2021-12-18at12-19-07SearchResultsForBlastMedia.png.49467fd7e47645577f06b0ce164c6209.pngand a face mask, (which I strongly recommend) and blasted a while. This was 5 lbs of media, and 15 minutes. Stopping 3 times to let the compressors catch up. That took a couple minutes each time. I think I could have trapped at least some of the media if I had a large box, and the wind would slow down to at least a gale. Before and after pics. 20211218_112822.jpg.790b4375406d1645e015bb4269a4d758.jpg20211218_121530.jpg.bcbfc754bc70dc49a4adea8a205aa7b2.jpgI have a friend with a LARGE compressor in his shop. If it were warmer outside, I would take everything there, and try it out with an adequate compressor, but it snot. I think I could use coarser media if I could find it. I don't know if this

would be better or not.

1548343363_Screenshot2021-12-18at12-43-51SearchResultsForBlastMedia.png.e1756b3762ff07dcfd94b7c52e80ac15.pngIt says large Grade. What does that mean? :confusion-shrug: At this rate, the way I am doing it, I am sure it would take more than 50lbs. of media. That's not economically feasible. I need a box!

oliver2-44

AMC RULES

Should add a needle scaler to your aresonal.

Screenshot_20211218-140853_Google.jpg.7a179afa4291911dffe61e81c5b2dffa.jpg

Serves to make short work of them rusted up rims too.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Gregor
1 minute ago, AMC RULES said:

Should add a needle scaler to your aresonal.

Serves to make short work of them rusted up rims too.

I use to have one of those. I need another me thinks. :thumbs:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:  Shirley...

you do!  :greetings-clapyellow:

• Like 2

lynnmor

I would try some paint stripper and see how that works.  If you can scrape away a large percentage of the paint, the blasting will be less of a chore.

• Like 1

8ntruck

I'm cleaning bricks for my porch project.  The little voice in the back of my head keeps asking if a needle scaler would be a good tool to blow the old mortar off of the bricks.

Sorry, I'm off subject here.

• Like 1

pacer

@oliver2-44 definitely has it --- Black Beauty, last I bought (4-5mos ago) was $10 for 50lbs. But (theres that but) You will need the need the fine grade (red trimmed bag - color designates grit) The siphon feed guns and my blast cabinet will clog coarser grit. I tried a bag of coarser grit (black trimmed bag) because they were out of fine -- just wouldnt feed, kept clogging. Would prolly make for faster removal if could use the coarse.....

@AMC RULES needle scaler is good also, especially in the heavier /thicker coats of paint - which seem to be the case on rims.

Obviously the cabinet wont handle larger items - hoods, seat pans,etc - so I go out in the grass next to the shop and set up couple saw horses with a piece of plywood laid across to do these using one of those cheap $20-25 siphon guns with a 5 gallon bucket and Black Beauty (use the ceramic nozzles, the metal ones wont last). Heh, I bet I've raised the level of that area a couple inches over the years, probably 75-80 bags on media. I also have a REAL blast hood I found in a pawn shop, and I use a full face filter with - definitely! gloves - these are a must outside.

I tried glass bead and it was .... meh, not impressive and more expensive than the coal slag 

Lastly, as you found out, you gotta have a LOT of air, a compressor capable of, minimum, 15+ CFM (cubic feet minute)

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Been thinking about getting a small blaster for a few years. 

S'pose it's about time. 

Would an appliance box help to catch the media for reuse?

• Like 1

lynnmor
36 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Been thinking about getting a small blaster for a few years. 

S'pose it's about time. 

Would an appliance box help to catch the media for reuse?

Sure, anything would be a help.  I'm sure with your resourcefulness, that building a cabinet would be easy.  Think plastic or steel drums for the easy way, or watch some YouTube videos on the subject.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Sure, anything would be a help.  I'm sure with your resourcefulness, that building a cabinet would be easy.  Think plastic or steel drums for the easy way, or watch some YouTube videos on the subject.

Hadn't thought of using a drum/barrel. 

That's a neat idea.  

• Like 1

lynnmor
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Hadn't thought of using a drum/barrel. 

That's a neat idea.  

If you cut a window in the side of a barrel and turn it on its side, then the media can then settle to the bottom for the suction hose to pick it up.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

window

What's the window material?

Lexan? Plexiglass?

lynnmor
Just now, ebinmaine said:

What's the window material?

Lexan? Plexiglass?

It can be anything, just don't use a fragile glass, safety glass is best.  If you use a plastic, it will become hazy in minutes.  Here is one place to buy, or at least get ideas for parts.  Note the protectors for windows.

• Thanks 1

pacer

Honestly fellas, before you put a LOT of effort, and, a fair amount of $ into a home made cabinet, take a long look at HF's version --- at $200 that is gonna be hard to beat. With all the neat (inexpensive) ideas for improving it on you tube, that thing can be transformed into a really great tool.

See that steep angled part under it, that is really critical to let the media continually drop into there so the siphon tube can readily pick it up, plus you already have the viewing window and air conx, gun etc. Then as I mentioned, a couple of the neat refinements on you tube....

68893_W3.jpg

Gregor
1 minute ago, pacer said:

take a long look at HF's version --- at $200 that is gonna be hard to beat.

Is that large enough for rear wheel? With tires still on? If only I had the room. I may have to figure out a way to make room.

pacer
1 minute ago, Gregor said:

rear wheel? With tires still on?

No, but a 12" rim like one that you were working on will fit.....  I find myself wiggling pieces in there that I wouldnt think would fit but with a little fiddling I can many time figure it out.

Heh!, thinking back, kinda reminds me of some of the old cars/trucks I've had - I just keep tinkering with it finding more and more ways to make it better -- it has to rank in the top 5 tools in my shop!

I guess I oughta mention that you WILL ABSOUTLY need a vacuum dust recovery system of some type, but here you can pretty easily rig up something 'home made' again you tube;), After a few years I went ahead and got a dedicated recovery from HF....

Guess I oughta take a few pics of my set-up and post them :eusa-think:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, pacer said:

Guess I oughta take a few pics of my set-up and post them

I'd be very interested in that. 

• Like 1

Elliot Garfinkel

Hi I know I'm late to the party but I've seen a media blaster that hooks up to a pressure washer so the hi cfm compressor is not an issue ,from the 

U tube vids it looks like it works OK I plan on getting one their only about 25-35 dollars.just another tool