Ifixoldjunk

Bolens 1050 troubles

Ifixoldjunk

5F254679-7A9F-4F7A-894B-58082712B84E.jpeg.602b100318cfc9cfe337fc3a2deadec3.jpeg

So this tractor here can be blamed for every rusty old garden tractor that’s ever followed me home. It’s never given me any trouble. Until recently anyways. 
I came down with Covid and life just got in the way, so the tractor just kinda sat for a few months. After getting it to run it ran perfectly until I tried to get it to move. As soon as I let of the clutch it’s a 50/50 shot whether it just stalls out or gets moving. It doesn’t really start easily either. I’ve ran seafoam through the carb and it idles perfectly. Does anyone have any clue what I should try next? You think it’s a clutch issue or a carb issue?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I'm not familiar with those Bolens rigs.. What engine is in there?

Has the carb been soaked and rebuilt lately?

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk

31C6FE60-68FE-4328-94AE-24FEFB691935.jpeg.80e12d7fbb6bfa5e3e5448905c6af33e.jpegI had it running for a hour or two today doing yard work. The engine is running perfectly, but it seems like if it’s on the slightest incline when I release the clutch it  will just die. Third gear basically isn’t even usable without stalling the engine. Bolens certainly aren’t as straightforward as wheel horses to repair. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm not familiar with those Bolens rigs.. What engine is in there?

Has the carb been soaked and rebuilt lately?

It has the Wisconsin TRA-10D. The carb was cleaned and rebuilt within the last year or so.

Snoopy11
12 minutes ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

So this tractor here can be blamed for every rusty old garden tractor that’s ever followed me home. It’s never given me any trouble. Until recently anyways. 
I came down with Covid and life just got in the way, so the tractor just kinda sat for a few months. After getting it to run it ran perfectly until I tried to get it to move. As soon as I let of the clutch it’s a 50/50 shot whether it just stalls out or gets moving. It doesn’t really start easily either. I’ve ran seafoam through the carb and it idles perfectly. Does anyone have any clue what I should try next? You think it’s a clutch issue or a carb issue?

Kinda sounds like it needs a valve adjustment... or like Eric said, a carb cleanout...?

Maybe some bad gas..?

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Have you checked the valve lash lately?

Don

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

Have you checked the valve lash lately?

Don

I’ll have to look at that. I don’t believe I’ve ever adjusted them.

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

I don’t believe I’ve ever adjusted them

Yes sir... I can probably scrounge around for some info if you let me know what motor is on it...? :confusion-confused:

Don

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk
1 minute ago, Snoopy11 said:

Yes sir... I can probably scrounge around for some info if you let me know what motor is on it...? :confusion-confused:

Don

Thanks, It’s the Wisconsin TRA-10D. Of course it’s the only engine I have where I don’t own any of its paperwork or manuals.

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

manual

Not a problem... I'm going to sift through it myself to see if I can find any information on the valves...

Don

Wisconsin_TRA-10D.pdf

• Excellent 2

Snoopy11

The clearance with engine cold: inlet – 0.006 inch exhaust – 0.012 inch

So... you are going to need some feeler gauges, if you don't already have them... and adjust accordingly...

I personally think this would be the easiest place to start diagnostics... particularly since they haven't been adjusted to your knowledge. This may very well solve your problem. 

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
51 minutes ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

It doesn’t really start easily either

This screams VALVE ADJUSTMENT to me... :)

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

OH, also check for a loose/disconnected condenser... :)

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

May just need a new set of points...

But again, I go back to valves... adjust them first.

I have heard that these engines can have broken cams... believe it or not... so it might be a good idea, while you have the valve cover off for the adjustment, to start the engine and increase rpms (while watching the valves of course) to make sure the valves are functioning properly under load. 

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

Ifixoldjunk

@Snoopy11

Thank you. I’ll definitely have to check out the things you’ve said. I never heard about the broken cams in these engines. I’ll check that too.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

@Snoopy11

Thank you. I’ll definitely have to check out the things you’ve said. I never heard about the broken cams in these engines. I’ll check that too.

Yeah, it is something that will allow the engine to run and idle... but stall when you demand power... thus why I mentioned it. Just something easy to check while you are in there adjusting the valves... (might as well check that off the list of possibilities while you are there)... :thumbs:

Don

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Maxwell-8
On 11/27/2021 at 11:39 PM, Ifixoldjunk said:

Bolens certainly aren’t as straightforward as wheel horses to repair.

Tell me

DSC_0465.JPG.947d07ce8484eac9ad3fba10b2822ea1.JPG

• Like 2

Ifixoldjunk
3 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Tell me

DSC_0465.JPG.947d07ce8484eac9ad3fba10b2822ea1.JPG

nice one. always liked the g10

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
5 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

nice one. always liked the g10

Currently having some tranny problems. The detent balls for the shifter somehow disappeared.

Ifixoldjunk
18 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Currently having some tranny problems. The detent balls for the shifter somehow disappeared.

First thing I'd check is to make sure that the shift rod didn't pop out from between the plungers. That's happened to me before. But truth be told Bolens gearboxes are kinda sucky. 

• Like 1