Sparky

Snapper RER

Sparky

Picked up this 2018 Snapper rear engine rider the other day. Runs and drives like new, deck is smooth and quiet. 
  Obviously it’s not my style so it’ll get sold to generate more funds for Wheel Horse stuff :handgestures-thumbupright: . May have to hang onto it till spring to get its full $$ potential. 

Got under it to see what the trans is like and it’s pretty much a CVT drive similar to a walk behind snow blower. Hardly seems stout enough to handle its own weight and that of a operator. 
  Best part… is the cup holder!! 
A2E3C59E-B723-4BB8-B869-2752F1F5148F.jpeg

D23E52CD-8342-49BB-B51D-36683DECFE37.jpeg

80C9179C-4E92-4275-8913-FD827E388B57.jpeg

2C82B205-52B4-4AAC-83DF-883DFCB38799.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Sparky

And it came with the sales receipt, not sure I could have dropped over $1600 on it!! 
C290305D-52DA-4D05-87BA-BF7F671231DE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Inspectorjoe

Those Snapper rear engine rider's have a rabid following. I had two, and sold each for a lot more than I paid for them.

The friction disc drive system is strong and mostly bulletproof. Snapper made conventional lawn tractors with the same system, with power from the engine delivered through a shaft, rather than a belt as is done with the RER's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

My mom had a Snapper RER hydro. Foot pedal control 14 horse Briggs. Thing was an animal! 

echris

When I was a kid, a lot of the original Snappers would come into the shop. At first I thought, "What is this tiny POS?"
I thought they were garbage at first, because at the time, nearly every other mower with a seat slapped on top was.
I'd come to learn that while they were small and odd, they were damn good machines.

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

image.jpeg.6e7bd9c9719d57136ea9069b16ba31b6.jpeg

Someone had to…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

echris
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

image.jpeg.6e7bd9c9719d57136ea9069b16ba31b6.jpeg

Someone had to…

That's the one, right there. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Maxwell-8

Are those chain driven?

• Excellent 1

D_Mac

Mine wasnt as shiny as yours but was pretty cool. Picked it up for 150 bucks. Came with all the attachments and paper work. Cleaned the carb and it ran perfectly.

20180929_153015_resized.jpg

20180929_153451_resized.jpg

20180929_153944_resized.jpg

20180929_171408_resized.jpg

20180929_170710_resized.jpg

20180929_192637_resized.jpg

20180929_153928_resized.jpg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Mine wasnt as shiny as yours but was pretty cool. Picked it up for 150 bucks. Came with all the attachments and paper work. Cleaned the carb and it ran perfectly.

Yep. I have the same newer chassis. Mine is 11.5hp and 33" and has the rear bagger plus a "baggin' wagon" (a bag-covered trailer intended for major grass or leave collecting) and I don't have the front carry tray (very cool--how is that supported?). Haven't used either bagger since switching to a mulching blade several years ago. The "thatcherizer" has been a terrific add, especially in spring after the winter snows have packed everything down. 

Only maintenance it's needed in the 20 years I've had it is oil changes, fuel filter, one battery, and a new $18 friction wheel.

image.png.d6abd1afec5aa40d5c7e5dfa4cf7173e.png

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11

Does anyone have any idea how fast one of these is? :scratchead:

Don

Snoopy11

Never mind, I found it... :rolleyes:

Speed Forward (max) 4.5 mph

I... won't say anything... nope... going to zip my lip... :silence:

Wait, what...?    4.5 MPH...? 

Ya'll know how long it would take me to do 20+ acres with that?

I really like the little guy, I would love to have one. BUT... modifications would be in order... :auto-layrubber:

Don

Sparky

Quick and final update…loaded up the Snapper yesterday and delivered it this morning to a guy that lives 10 minutes from work for a nifty $500 profit :handgestures-thumbupright: ! 
C8EECFA4-B4E6-4DDC-99B8-BDB6FC7B158B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

wallfish
5 hours ago, Sparky said:

for a nifty $500 profit

Woooo Hoooo, free lunches at the Zagray shows from now on!

• Haha 1

WHX??

I liked it Sparkeye ... I always liked RERs and have no idea why. I always likened  them to rear engine dragsters! Prolly just 'cause easy on easy off for tub duty picking up around the  yard tho. 

Yah get 'Fish some food with your profit  and I don't mean a hydraulic samich or tobbaco! 

• Haha 2

Lee1977

ti think they had a lot of problems with that model. I was at a Snapper Dealer in 2019 they had a Classic Model on the floor. It was back to the rubber wheel and disk drive. Hope you don't get burned on that one.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

RED-Z06
On 11/25/2021 at 1:30 PM, Sparky said:

Picked up this 2018 Snapper rear engine rider the other day. Runs and drives like new, deck is smooth and quiet. 
  Obviously it’s not my style so it’ll get sold to generate more funds for Wheel Horse stuff :handgestures-thumbupright: . May have to hang onto it till spring to get its full $$ potential. 

Got under it to see what the trans is like and it’s pretty much a CVT drive similar to a walk behind snow blower. Hardly seems stout enough to handle its own weight and that of a operator. 
  Best part… is the cup holder!! 
A2E3C59E-B723-4BB8-B869-2752F1F5148F.jpeg

D23E52CD-8342-49BB-B51D-36683DECFE37.jpeg

80C9179C-4E92-4275-8913-FD827E388B57.jpeg

2C82B205-52B4-4AAC-83DF-883DFCB38799.jpeg

Do these still use the rubber wheel and aluminum disc drive?

Handy Don

The rear looks practically identical to my "old style" RER so I'd assume yes, friction drive with a nice differential still lives. Don't underestimate them, since that disk is spinning at engine speed, it transfers a lot of power. In fact, in the 80's Snapper modified the friction ring to allow it to slip a bit when first engaged--owners were popping the clutch in higher "gears" and were doing unexpected wheelies.

Except for oil changes, lubrication, and a new blade, the only maintenance I've needed in about 25 years is the friction disk and the accordion sleeves that protect the rear axle (about $40 in parts). Next year it'll need new front tires, though.

Sparky
On 12/7/2021 at 10:59 PM, RED-Z06 said:

Do these still use the rubber wheel and aluminum disc drive?

Yep, that’s what it has. It was only in my possession for a couple weeks before I sold it. But it worked flawlessly when I buzzed around the yard. 
  Guy that bought it has a flat yard and only a 1/2 acre, perfect yard for a RER.

Southern_Secret
On 11/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, Inspectorjoe said:

Those Snapper rear engine rider's have a rabid following.

@Inspectorjoe I'm part of that following, I hunted for a few years trying to find one that wasn't clinging on for dear life. I finally found a 1995 sr1433 hi-vac with the original 2 bag bagging system a 14hp kohler, and there isnt enough money in the work that i would take for it OR my wheel horse!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Southern_Secret
On 11/26/2021 at 5:51 AM, Maxwell-8 said:

Are those chain driven?

@Maxwell-8 Yes 

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
On 12/9/2021 at 5:02 PM, Southern_Secret said:

14hp

People don't think 14 hp is a lot, particularly as compared to the newer 22 horsepower engines. BUT... I tell you what, the torque on those little motors is outstanding for mowing. :banana-dance: 

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
On 12/3/2021 at 7:25 PM, WHX?? said:

I always likened  them to rear engine dragsters!

If I had one in my possession... it would be a rear engine dragster... :ychain:

:laughing-rolling:

Don

Maxwell-8
5 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

People don't think 14 hp is a lot, particularly as compared to the newer 22 horsepower engines

You can perfectly mow with 10 hp.  You never need 22hp. that was just a marketing trick. Neighbor Rich has a 22hp, the next neighbor wants a bigger mower and buys one with 26 hp.

They mow equally fast, but the bigger hp mower used more fuel to do it.

dsiclaimer, these days, mowers are more often a hydro's (zeroturns), having bigger mowing decks. a bit more power is needed that is a fact, but not the 20+hp.  

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH
4 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

You can perfectly mow with 10 hp.

Yep… sure can!

89DECEB1-AB92-45AA-924A-C738696EB11E.jpeg

6FBAE156-0709-4C2F-BFD0-88A06993D0B2.jpeg

• Excellent 3