Mustang67ford

90w or 80w90

Mustang67ford

Changing tranny fluid in a 414-8. Manual says to use 90w.  Is 80w90 ok?  Woul be a little thinner in cold temps.

Edited by Mustang67ford
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

That's fine. 

We use whatever is the least expensive gear oil. 

These transmissions are not at all fussy. 

• Like 4

Achto

:text-yeahthat: 80-90w will be just fine.

• Like 5

Mustang67ford

Thanks

peter lena

@Mustang67ford  in addition to changing it , keep a regular check on it , is your shift boot ok ?  that's your water entry point, always have a spare in my horse parts inventory . i use a razor blade to remove it and dielectric grease on the shifter shaft  to install it , slides on very easily . pete

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@Mustang67ford

Also just occurred to me... When you drain the transmission be sure to raise the front of the tractor as much as safely possible to get the fluid over the internal center hump. 

• Like 4

Mustang67ford
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

@Mustang67ford  in addition to changing it , keep a regular check on it , is your shift boot ok ?  that's your water entry point, always have a spare in my horse parts inventory . i use a razor blade to remove it and dielectric grease on the shifter shaft  to install it , slides on very easily . pete

Thanks.  I have one on the parts list.  It does need replaced.

• Like 1

Mustang67ford
35 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@Mustang67ford

Also just occurred to me... When you drain the transmission be sure to raise the front of the tractor as much as safely possible to get the fluid over the internal center hump. 

Thanks.  I had read about the hump.  How high must I raise it?  I might also flush it, not sure yet.

Edited by Mustang67ford

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Mustang67ford said:

Thanks.  I had read about the hump.  How high must I raise it?  I might also flush it, not sure yet.

I try to get the front a good strong 25+ inches up. 

Use great caution when doing the lift unless you have a very secure lift mechanism. 

>>>>> I have a hoist. <<<<<

On the flush, if you are considering it, just do it. 

It likely needs it anyway and it most certainly won't hurt anything. 

Drain the old fluid. 

Install plug and fill will 2, 2.5 qts diesel or kerosene. Drive it around in a few figure 8s and be sure to use every gear including hi and low range. 

Empty the sacrificial fluid. 

If the fluid looks milky or dirty don't hesitate to repeat the flush part. 

• Excellent 2

Mustang67ford
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Use great caution when doing the lift unless you have a very secure lift mechanism. 

Drain the old fluid. 

Install plug and fill will 2, 2.5 qts diesel or kerosene. Drive it around in a few figure 8s and be sure to use every gear including hi and low range. 

Thanks, very helpful.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
44 minutes ago, Mustang67ford said:

Thanks, very helpful.

And , if flushing, please dispose of the sacrificial fluid responsibly. In NYS, automotive service stations are required to accept used motor and gear oils but can refuse any contaminated with gasoline or diesel fuel. I've been paying a recycling center to take it.

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

And , if flushing, please dispose of the sacrificial fluid responsibly. In NYS, automotive service stations are required to accept used motor and gear oils but can refuse any contaminated with gasoline or diesel fuel. I've been paying a recycling center to take it.

We burn 🔥🔥 it. 

• Like 4

Maxwell-8

I even use 85w140, wouldn't recommend it, but haven't had a single problem.

Mustang67ford
On 11/14/2021 at 12:45 PM, ebinmaine said:

Drain the old fluid. 

@ebinmaine I 'm going to have the tranny disconnected from the tractor here shortly when changing out my frame.  Since the front needs raised steeply to get over the hump, I'm thinking this is a good time to do the flush.  But tracgor is not running yet.  Maybe just fill with the kero and push it around by hand some once it is disconnected and rock it back and forth would do it?  Also, is there a recommended magetic drain plug to use and I assume it is a square head as opposed to a factory recessed allen type plug?

Edited by Mustang67ford

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Mustang67ford said:

@ebinmaine I 'm going to have the tranny disconnected from the tractor here shortly when changing out my frame.  Since the front needs raised steeply to get over the hump, I'm thinking this is a good time to do the flush.  But tracgor is not running yet.  Maybe just fill with the

kero and push it around by hand some once it is disconnected and rock it back and forth would do it? 

Also, is there a recommended magetic drain plug to use and I assume it is a square head as opposed to a factory recessed allen type plug?

If not running that's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. 

IIFF YOU HAVE WORKING BRAKES on a rolling chassis you could have another person tow the roller with an operator on it.  

K1 or diesel is fine. 

Off-road diesel is less expensive if that's available to you.  

2. I bought square head standard magnetic plugs. 

The thing to remember there is that the male type square head sticks out of the transmission housing and has potential to catch on rough terrain. 

When we make our forest trails we're conscious of not going over larger roots and rocks.  

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I clamp the transmission on the work bench and use an old plug in furnace motor (also clamped) with a 4" pulley and fan belt.  You can run diesel in it which ends up being about regular speed.  I also use this setup to test the transmissions that I rebuild before I put them back on the tractors.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Here is another way that works...

• Excellent 1

Mustang67ford
On 3/22/2022 at 11:36 AM, stevasaurus said:

I clamp the transmission on the work bench and use an old plug in furnace motor (also clamped) with a 4" pulley and fan belt.  You can run diesel in it which ends up being about regular speed.  I also use this setup to test the transmissions that I rebuild before I put them back on the tractors.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Here is another way that works...

Good idea